Fisher Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Damian Ornani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Mandatory 50 hour work weeks for most roles" (in 23 reviews)

• "Work/Life Balance- my experience has been a very positive one in terms of" (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fisher offers so many unique opportunities to their employees. We are all offered lateral and upward career opportunity within the firm as well as onsite training seminars and courses to develop the depth and breadth of each employee. EXCELLENT benefit packages: salary is extremely competitive if not better than the rest of the market place, 401k matching up to 50% of the IRS maximum, 4 weeks PTO in addition to the 9 NYSE holiday closures, 100% of insurance premiums are covered by Fisher for you, your dependents and spouse, optional life and disability insurance coverage at a very low cost as well as many discounts through out the community for being an employee.

Cons

Long work days; 7A-5P work schedule Monday - Friday.

"Meritocracy Defined."

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Taught me the meaning of hard work in the high net worth arena.
    -Benefits package include a 50% match in 401k plus $0 monthly costs for health insurance.
    -Located in regions that carry 0% state tax
    -International opportunities in London office

Cons

-PCG side (No experience with Institutional side) has proven to be distressingly competitive for some. If you're easily offended or lack introspection you will be easily offended here and may lack the introspection/gumption needed be successful at Fisher Investments.

Advice to Management

- Clarify bonus structure on non-asset producing roles.
    - Sales Managers need to have sales experience, not a good role to "cut their management teeth" with, seek sales minded candidates.
    - Calm down. The higher you get in the org chart the more the people need Jesus.

3. "Great Training"

Pros

Good if you're new to finance or business in general

Cons

Hard to move up or advance

4. "Great Benefits, Monotonous work"

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time

Pros

Benefits and Pay are slightly above market, depending on the group there are great leaders.

Cons

the computer systems are awful, location is remote to anything else, dress code required

5. "Good company bad entry level roles"

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time

Pros

Good benefits good 401k match

Cons

Very long hours, middle management is very average

6. "Good place out of college. Hard to advance"

Current Employee - Investment Operations Associate in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Investment Operations Associate in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Continued education, good coworkers, good middle management, interesting projects, good healthcare

Cons

Low pay, long hours, repetitive tasks

Advice to Management

Pay more

"Great entry level company!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance.
    Benefits (401K, health insurance) were next to none.

Cons

Very grinding - Not always a terrible thing to work hard, but the pressure is high and its hard to have much of a relationship with those you work with.
    Not much of a chance of vertical mobility. You will get moved around a handful of times before you get the chance to move up.

Advice to Management

Work on allowing hard working and goal achieving employees the chance to move upward. I left because I was promised an opportunity several times and they never delivered.

"Talent Acquisition"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Work/Life Balance is great here...depending on the role and division you work for. They have set hours which is from 7 AM - 5 PM with an hour paid lunch. In my department, there is a mass exodus at 4:55 PM and no one is left in the office past 5:30 PM.

2. Educational Opportunities- Fisher has done a great job formulating a robust curriculum that allows employees to move laterally and vertically within the company, regardless of where or what your degree is.

3. Benefits- 20 Vacation Days with 9 Paid Holidays, 50% 401(K) match up to the IRS maximum, Growth opportunities, Work/life balance

4. Culture- Fantastic culture to be in! Everyone is incredibly intelligent and eloquent and constantly thinking forward on how to improve the company. What I will say is that it depends on the division and team that you work on for overall experience.

5. Growth Potential- Lots of opportunity to move within the company to any role or division you like. Associate and Analyst level positions seem to be much easier to rotate into as opposed to management level or higher. Historically has promoted primarily from within.

Cons

1. Work/Life Balance- my experience has been a very positive one in terms of work/life balance. It would be nice if all of the positions were a standard 8 hour work day as i think it is unnecessary to have your employees scheduled for 10 hour days. My understanding though is that it depends on the type of role you are in. The sales division has shorter work hours than we do, but if you can't accomplish your goals in the allowed time, you most likely will have to put in extra work to keep up.

2. Benefits- Not much cons for this. The only thing would be to have sick days seperate from the vacation days. I feel like I am splitting hairs though because 4 weeks vacation, accrued immediately on your 1st day, is phenomenal for starting a new role.

3. Culture- I love the work culture here. A couple of drawbacks I have seen though is diversity. While my particular division is very diverse, I have found the sales division to be predominantly the same demographic. Employees here tend to be more up and coming in their careers and are white males. It would be nice to see not just my division, but the whole company as being very diverse.

4. Growth potential- While there is incredible opportunities to advance your career, the position you want must 1st be open and you must gain permission to shift out of your role from your current manager. If they feel like you are needed where you are more than the role you want, I have seen requests denied to rotate out. It's not that you won't get a chance to try a new position, it's just that it might take longer than you originally planned.

5. Technology- Fisher feels a bit behind with the tech programs they utilize. We are a step behind the leaders in technology and are constantly in catch up mode.

Advice to Management

1. Allow more opportunity to move within the company faster.
    2. Shorten the work day to normal 8 hour days.
    3. Foster more vertical movement than lateral.
    4. Increase salary potential to stay more competitive with other companies.

9. "Portfolio Management"

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time

Pros

What I loved most about FI is that everyone I worked with held themselves to a really high standard and worked *hard*. I never felt like people within Portfolio Management were slacking and everyone was always open to teaching you something new.

Cons

With working hard comes being stubborn. Like many RIAs FI still uses some antiquated technology but it's working hard to transition away from that.

Advice to Management

Keep developing your talent from within but pay folks in Portfolio Management a bit more money for keeping the firm going.

"Good Starting Position"

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time

Pros

-Good benefits and pay
    -Collaborative working space

Cons

-Wouldn't stay for the long run