Fisher Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Damian Ornani

Pros
Cons
  • 10-hour work days, 50-hour work weeks (in 21 reviews)

• middle management tends to not listen to anyone but themselves, long hours 10 hour days are the norm (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Build a Career"

Current Employee - Team Leader in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fisher is a place where you can work in lots of different areas over the course of a career. So, unlike so many of my friends at other companies, I don't have to seek out a new employer every few years in order to earn new responsibilities or learn new skills. The firm also prides itself on education, so there are ample opportunities to learn about finance, the industry, and world events from a capital markets perspective. I've worked at other firms where that is absolutely not the case.

Cons

Fisher is definitely not for everyone, and I would encourage anyone considering a job here to really get to know the culture--ask as many questions of the recruiters and interviewers as you can. The day-to-day can be tough for people not used to intense environments, and the formality of the office will be a culture shock to anyone coming from Technology or other similar firms in Silicon Valley.

Advice to Management

For folks who do well over time and earn it, more schedule flexibility would be nice.

2. "Great place to work and build career"

Current Employee - Investment Counselor in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits.
    Great work/life balance - don't bring work home with you.
    Plenty of opportunity to move and advance within the company.

Cons

There is little flexibility with hours and structure.

3. "Junior Associate"

Former Employee - Junior Associate in Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Junior Associate in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility
    Part time wage is good
    Great management leaders
    Very nice coworkers
    Great work and life balance

Cons

Lack of "actual" promotion
    Location , unless you live in Camas, WA
    Lack of career opportunities

4. "Great Company with A Solid Value Proposition"

Current Employee - Investment Counselor in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great hours, good managers.

Cons

Located in Camas, WA, open-pod workspace, outdated tech and software.

Advice to Management

Keep inserting brief intermissions in the workday to refresh employees and boost morale.

"Good entry-level role, but the company has a lot to work on"

Former Employee - Analyst in Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have a chance to work with some smart people and, depending on the role, there are some challenging problems to work on.
    If you perform well you can get good visibility with senior management.
    If you aren't in a sales role, Fisher will go out of their way to find a better fit within the company for an underperforming employee rather than letting them go.
    Some managers are willing to provide regular, helpful feedback.
    Lots of internal opportunities to move up and around the company and managers who are willing to support their subordinates moving around after 18-24 months in a role.

Cons

The culture can be toxic with employees attempting to "throw others under the bus" and managers swearing at their subordinates (this comes from the very top and trickles down).
    Technology is outdated and largely not transferable.
    The talent level is subpar.
    Rigid work schedule (be there by 7 am, can't leave until 5 pm).
    Fisher bills itself as a meritocracy but is quicker to reward employees based on how long they have worked there and allows those employees to "coast" while having much higher standards for newer employees.
    Lots of red tape and bureaucracy that gets in the way of employees performing well in their job.

Advice to Management

Encourage management to treat subordinates with more respect and to resolve conflicts between employees more effectively.
    Loosen up on the work hours and dress code if you want to remain competitive with young talent, particularly in the Bay area with so much flexibility offered by tech companies.
    Follow your own advice of challenging conventional wisdom.

"Good Company, Not Many Opportunities for Upward Mobility"

Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employer-paid health, dental, and vision

Cons

Required 50 hour work weeks

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for upward mobility within the company

7. "Very Positive Experience"

Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment and people

Cons

Corporate structure posed some limitation

"Backstabbing Politics | Set up to fail from the start"

Former Employee - Investment Associate in Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Investment Associate in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, collaborative atmosphere.

Cons

The "open pod" environment is not from everyone. No privacy, even the "private" rooms are glass "fish bowls" that everyone can see into. Backstabbing competition from people on your team who want to beat you in metrics. If you don't like competition, this place isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Actually train your managers. I've seen this in multiple reviews of Fisher. The company hires managers from within, and often does little to no training to help them manage employees. I had one of the worst managers I've ever experienced, who basically just moved up into the position because she was friends with the GVP.

"HORRIBLE culture, awful pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was on one of the better teams. In order to stay anonymous, I"m going to keep it at that. Suffice to say my team actually had access to most of the internet. They pay 100% of your medical, dental, and vision, and do 100% match on your 401K contributions to the IRS allowed maximum. I made a couple of lifelong friends.

Cons

Hmm...where should I start...

- JUST STAY AWAY.

- Frat bro culture. It was disgusting. The mail room was on the 3rd floor, which is where most of the frat bros (i.e., those who didn't make it in investment banking so decided to become investment counselors instead) sit. Every time I went to the mail room, I would look at the floor to avoid eye contact yet painfully felt every eye on me as I walked past. They also used to make a list of names of new women who joined the firm and make it a competition to see who could sleep with them first. Like I said, disgusting.

- 10-hour work days, 50-hour work weeks. In at 7 am, out at 5 pm. Ridiculous to treat a bunch of adults like schoolchildren. Once 5 pm hit, everyone took to the stairs because the elevators would be way too packed. Then there was a 10-minute long line to leave the parking lot (for those lucky enough to have parking passes, anyway). Everyone else? Go park on the street and make sure you move your car every two hours, or you're getting a ticket.

- Half-hour lunches. And you were timed. You think you're on a salaried payroll? Nope. It's hourly. You have to fill in a timesheet every week. If you come back late from lunch, you better make sure that reflects on your timesheet.

- Bad pay. My base was $50K when I started. Five years later, I left with a base of $55K. Ridiculous.

- I worked with some of the most egotistical people in this place. A couple in particular stood out. Kicker was that the most egotistical ones also tended to be the stupidest ones too.

- Remember those lifelong friends I mentioned in the "pros" section? Yeah, whenever we talk about Fisher, we just talk about how awful everything was. We're all suffering some form of Fisher PTSD.

- Too bad I can't give zero-star ratings on this site on Culture & Values and Career Opportunities.

Advice to Management

You have a toxic culture, and from what it sounds like from recent reviews, nothing has changed much. Years later, hindsight is 20/20, and I'm SO glad I got out when I did. You don't invest in your employees—change that. It's also the 21st century, so maybe stop the frat boy culture and actually treat women employees as equals rather than objects to be ogled at.

"Meh."

Former Employee - RFP Writer in Camas, WA
    Former Employee - RFP Writer in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time

Pros

Coming out of college, this is a fantastic place to start a career. It will shape you from college slack off to semi-polished professional. And you will mostly work with other fresh college grads, which is really fun.

Cons

I had two very different experiences at FI. I started in the private client group and loved it. All roles were extremely honed in and had a lot of structure and professional development.

Then I was promoted to the Institutional Group, which was an absolute zoo. The leadership there has good ideas, but no structure to actually implement anything worth while. The roles suck and there is no added pay. It is awful, stay away at all costs.