KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Fisher Investments Reviews

Updated Sep 24, 2021

Found 847 of over 879 reviews

3.4
Fisher Investments Chief Executive Officer Damian Ornani (no image)
Damian Ornani
Pros
  • "Great benefits and lots of opportunities for advancement(in 56 reviews)

• "Work life balance for most positions(in 40 reviews)

• Cons
  • "50 Hour work week required is not mentioned until you start(in 41 reviews)

• "Long hours, siloed way of doing things(in 40 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Fisher Investments

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Fisher Investments and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee
      Featured Review

Outstanding company

Nov 12, 2020 - Human Resources Associate in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent compensation and benefits Outstanding culture Only left because of personal reasons that had nothing to with the firm.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about the firm.

6 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good

Jul 17, 2021 - Manager in Tampa, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to work. Treats employees good

Cons

Nothing to complain about it

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Client Service Associate

Sep 22, 2021 - Client Service Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

The tampa office is the best team of people, great benefits, loved the company

Cons

mainly desk work - day to day remains the same

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Business!

Sep 16, 2021 - Regional Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive pay, great upward momentum, ability to carve out your own niche

Cons

long hours; strict dress code.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Just Avoid - Go Elsewhere

Sep 9, 2021 - Vice President Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Healthcare and 401k match are good

Cons

We preach that we’re different than the rest of the industry but we’re just as bad or worse. Just announced a major change to the comp model for a part of our sales team that drastically reduces overall pay. How do you do that to employees and families!? They’re heartless and only want to work their employees to death and reap the profits. If you want to join a firm that will move the goal post out of nowhere this is the place for you! Also, our systems are atrocious. They make your job so much harder than it needs to be. It’s actually pathetic for a company of our size. It’s never the firms fault though, always the employee’s!! No work from home option which is ridiculous in today’s world. They will go to the greatest lengths to prevent people from being able to work from home. If you saw how close employees are seated next to one another during this pandemic you’d be appalled. The overall morale and sentiment is so miserable and senior management is either so oblivious or they just don’t care. I would be blown away if I ever left a meeting with senior management and was impressed or surprised to the upside at a change they were making. It literally never happens. Employees always come away disappointed or deflated.

17 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Glaring lack of Diversity

Sep 19, 2021 - Associate in Plano, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fisher Investments does genuinely care about its clients in terms of providing the best in my opinion retirement and investment strategies. The term fiduciary really applies to this firm. I have witnessed this first hand coming from a previous firm which was solely about what new product can be sold to client to generate profit. The benefits package is truly one of the best in the industry.

Cons

The companies lack of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness is truly glaring. I must admit there has been a heightened awareness of this deficiency since the Ken Fisher mishap when it comes to gender equity. There has been an emphasis in seeking more diverse talent. The issue is data can be manipulated to present a different story. Yes, there is a solid representation of women across the firm but if you delve further into those numbers you will see that roles held would in most firms and institutions be considered more customer service type roles. To further make things worse the representation in terms of racial demographic even amongst the numerous women at the firm is predominantly Caucasian. Further emphasizing the obvious lack of diversity. The gender diversity is one aspect. In terms of minority diversity amongst both male and female in leadership roles or roles generally considered to be the creme de la creme of roles there simply is little to no representation AT ALL. This has been the case since the firms existence. To further drive home the point, there is a US sales force in excess of 300-400 individuals and minority representation stands at less than 1-2% and this may actually be a generous figure. The most concerning issue comes down to leadership diversity in managerial and executive roles. It’s difficult for a company to stand on a hill and claim to champion diversity when you can’t even see any minorities in any key stakeholder like positions to impact the supposed change the firm is focused on. Simply put this firm will continue to struggle to claim to be a leader in having a diverse talent pool from TOP to BOTTOM if it doesn’t take on an even more aggressive and genuine approach to changing from within. - COVID handling has lacked clear a concise messaging. The hope was that the company would have learned how to rearrange logistically the office layout to be more health conscious but this has not happened at all. - flexible work from home scheduling is non existent which this day in age with all of the advancements in technology is quite baffling. The firm simply put is behind the times. - bonus and compensation criteria is extremely vague and subjective to how a manager feels as opposed to clear and concise metric based criteria.

5 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Most People Should Steer Clear

Sep 15, 2021 - Client Account Coordinator in Camas, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I will say that portfolio performance for clients is ...good. They benchmark against the MSCI World Index and regularly perform just high enough above that to break even on their large management fees. So, if you're rich enough with >$500k AUM, you can get good customer service for essentially a breakeven compared to MSCI World. Pay is good, and benefits are great. Can be a good place to build soft skills, especially if you don't have much prior experience.

Cons

I worked at Fisher Investments for just over 3 years. I was a Client Account Coordinator for the majority of that time, which meant I onboarded new accounts and had lots of exposure to both the sales department and the account management (Investment Counselors) department. Previously, I worked at a boutique wealth management firm. I've been out of Fisher for just over 3 years now, so I'd say that I've had time to recover and give a somewhat objective idea of what Fisher is like now that I have other experiences to compare it to. To be brutally honest, my time working at Fisher was the darkest time of my life to date. In fact, it bummed me out so much that I switched industries completely. Company culture is very 'culty' with a heavy focus on always defaulting to Ken Fisher's wisdom. His books are treated as gospel, and employees are praised for "bleeding Fisher green". He regularly makes off-color, insulting, frankly just straight up weird remarks in company meetings. Very old-school finance bro culture. Lots of cocaine and leased BMWs. Lots of internal HR issues. Lots of people skipping their children's dance recitals. Lots of people with massive amounts of unused PTO. They conveniently leave the fact that 50+ hour weeks are standard (and required for most roles save Investment Counselors) out of the recruiting process until an offer is extended - even then, it's in the fine print. In general, you can build some good soft skills, but like others have said the Fisher culture, processes, systems, investment approach, etc. are all very specific to Fisher and not very transferrable. Most portfolios are very heavy in equities regardless of time horizon. As an Investment Counselor, you spend most of your time defending Fisher's dictated strategy to clients and talking them off the cliff of liquidating at every negative headline. Decent place to build client retention chops, not a good place to get exposure to portfolio building, risk assessment, etc. - not much room for investment strategy discussions/portfolio management from what I saw. On the sales side, they are very very aggressive. We're talking like daily calls to prospects until they either snap or ask to be placed on the do not call list. Once they are sold, they bring in Client Account Coordinators (me) to move assets under management as fast as humanly possible to "strike while the iron is hot", but also so prospects don't get cold feet. I saw several examples of portfolios with huge unrealized gains being liquidated before proper guidance and time to consider the taxable effects were ever given to the clients. When myself and colleagues would push back on salespeople or bring this to management, those concerns were brushed aside and we were slapped on the wrist for interrupting the sales process. All in all, the place left a bad taste in my mouth. You can do worse than Fisher - pay is good and benefits are great, but you can do way, way better.

10 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Amazing Co-workers, amazing culture

Sep 12, 2021 - Client Operations Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fisher Investments is a place where you can easily learn how to excel at what you do. Fellow Co-workers are always willing to give guidance, advice, and tips on how to get your work done. Plus, the work life balance is great.

Cons

To be honest, none that I can think of just yet. It's a given for most financial firms, that you lose the power to trade stocks. For some, that can be a total turn down.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fisher is not a place I would work

Sep 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

they have great benefits and

Cons

very toxic work environment and hard to succeed

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company, Bad politics.

Aug 30, 2021 - Junior Associate in Camas, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great Pay -Lots of room for career development -Good culture

Cons

-Prone to political decisions -Go along or get gone -No way to submit anonymous complaints.

2 people found this review helpful