Fisher Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Damian Ornani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Mandatory 50 hour work weeks for most roles" (in 26 reviews)

• "Work/Life Balance- my experience has been a very positive one in terms of" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Financial company to work for an industry"

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ken Fisher has created an amazing firm. This is the first financial firm I’ve worked for where I can see the clients come first in everything. The structure is so unique here and the opportunities for those who work hard are endless. The concept here is pretty simple. Work hard while you’re here and put in 100% each day and the firm will pay you a ridiculous amount of money and give you a ton of time for your family. First of all they have the best benefits I’ve ever seen. They fully pay for your health, dental, and vision insurance, give you a maximum 401k match, and all compensation is based on the effort of how hard you work for the firm. No other firm can even touch what they compensate you here. I have worked for Fidelity, Edward Jones, TD Ameritrade and this firm beats them in every area. Not to mention our offering far outweighs what those firms can provide.

Cons

If you’re not a hard worker and not willing to give it all each day then you simply can’t just make it here. Not a con to me, but those just wanting to go through the motions in their jobs won’t do well.

Advice to Management

No advice

2. "I look forward coming to work every morning"

Current Employee - Junior Associate in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Junior Associate in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-always have access from management for feedback and coaching
    -metric-based approach helps personal professional development (measuring stick)
    -focused on making sure that Fisher is a great place to work for you specifically and will work around your needs and desires as much as possible

Cons

-sometimes management decisions are inconsistently transparent
    -some resources that are available aren't very well publicized and you have to be somewhat lucky in uncovering them (right place, right time)

Advice to Management

perfection

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of responsibility, small pond

Cons

Hierarchical, political, traditional, formal, non-technical, bureaucratic

Advice to Management

Stop promoting based on tenure and will-do, and start hiring/training based on should-do. Invest heavily in technology and individuals who can leverage it.

"Endless opportunity, but not for everyone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career advancement both vertically as well as horizontally, is unmateched, as well as promoted by management.
    continued education.
    well informed employees, as well as highly social work environment

Cons

Everything is broken down to numbers and compared daily. So if you dont have the self esteem to have others see when you struggle or are failing, do not take a sales position.

"Ugh"

Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Plano, TX

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and 401k match is cool

Cons

10 hr days, getting time off approved is hard, flex scheduling was approved but didn’t offer early time in for Texas office, just got parental leave and it’s half of what other companies offer, measuring performance off metrics is easily skewed by people that chose to work 12 hour days and take no lunch. If you aren’t top of metrics you don’t get promoted as quick

6. "Overall good company to work for"

Current Employee - Analyst in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and great benefits.

Cons

Many layers of buerocracy and red tape.

Advice to Management

Embrace change!

"Happy Hire"

Current Employee - Business Engagement Associate
    Current Employee - Business Engagement Associate

I have been working at Fisher Investments (Less than a year)

Pros

The hiring process may have been long, but it was very organized and after being with the company for a bit, it is apparent that it's long for a reason. The culture is super important and it's protected in part by taking time with each candidate to ensure it's a mutual fit. The onboarding and initial training was organized and professional. The benefits are great. The leadership is great. Opportunities are abundant.

I read a lot of bad reviews before starting and I definitely want to comment on that. Now, it's totally possible that those bad experiences are department specific and I'm just not exposed to it. That being said, I think that many of those reviews were written by recent grads without any comparison. Sure, 50 hours is slightly longer, but that's a reduction/same for a lot of folks coming from jobs that expect you to answer/read emails or take calls outside of work hours. Fisher work can't be done off campus and no one expects you to work late. Sure, it's hard to call a lot of people all day.. but it's a job. Easy jobs don't pay as much. Sure, they don't have pingpong or nap pods, but they have a killer 401k and healthcare (which actually matters). This is all to say, to you the reader, if you're a seasoned professional, you'll probably feel great here. If you are a new grad with big expectations and no experience, you will inevitably get a reality check somewhere and if you're lucky, it will be here.

Cons

The big con for me is that is not on public transit.

Advice to Management

None, yet.

8. "CSA Department"

Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training and structure of the role is great and sets you up for success. I enjoy the dynamic of being on a part of a team within client service - it helps a role that can make you feel isolated give you a sense of togetherness. I also enjoy that there are opportunities for growth and it is encouraged by your manager. I better not forget to mention the AMAZING benefits of the job.

Cons

It is a 50hour work week which can be draining but the company is constantly looking for ways to make the time there more enjoyable. We get a bonus 2x a year, our managers will sometimes buy lunch, and there are company events that are always enjoyable.

Advice to Management

Continue to find the strengths in those you work above to help build them up for greater success.

"Good Opportunity with major Drawbacks"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Pay is good, especially in the Portland area. If you work hard, track your accomplishments, and present them to management, it's possible to get raises often and be at a comfortable base pay.
    -Bonuses twice a year reflect both your current work success & the company success. These can be large, which is an easy way to save up large chunks of cash or max out a 401k.
    -50% match on 401k. That means you can max out each year and Fisher will add an extra $9K to your retirement. That's huge!
    -Benefits are incredible. You pay $0 out of pocket for premiums (some people pay up to $600/month for this) with excellent vision, dental, and health insurance. Some of the plans even include 12 massages per year.
    -Unlimited Partial PTO gives a teensy bit of flexibility for daytime appointments or half days on Fridays.
    -20 days PTO is pretty good, however only 8 or 9 holidays so you need to take PTO on Christmas Eve, NYE, and the Friday after Thanksgiving to live a normal life.
    -Unless you're a director, you will never work week ends. Though you will be asked to stay late.
    -In general, the company wants to do good and takes care of their clients.
    -Career changes. It's possible to switch roles every few years to gain a lot of experience, though it can sometimes just build a scattered resume.
    -Most employees work hard, care a lot, and are generally great to work with.
    -Campus is gorgeous with tons of trees & nice places to enjoy lunch outside.

Cons

-Mandatory 50 hour work weeks. Such a headache that encourages employees to stretch out work to fill the hours.
    -Inflexible hours. I worked 7am to 5pm every day.
    -No remote working allowed at all. Really tough when the hours get really long and you have a family at home to take care of.
    -Some more tenured employees are overly fascinated by Ken Fisher & it's weird.
    -Diversity is lacking. IPC is made up of 5 wealthy white males. There are more women in management compared to the industry but still not enough.
    -No part time work options mean the company loses a lot of women when they start families. (apparently a new 8 week paid maternity leave has been added since I left)
    -Technology is so painful. Everything is a decade old with no upgrades in the foreseeable future.
    -Headquarters are in Camas, WA (about 30 mins outside Portland) so the commute isn't ideal but at least it's against traffic.

(This review is only for Camas, which has the best culture of any of the offices in my opinion.)

Advice to Management

-Demonstrate more TRUST in your employees by throwing out the rigid hours & mandatory 50-hour work weeks. And let them work remote when it's reasonable (i.e., Mom with a kid sick at home)

-Encourage more diversity in the workplace by hiring more women and POC. Then follow that up by listening to their feedback. How many women have quit because they didn't feel they could have a family & work there?? Look at those numbers & take them seriously.

-Invest in technology. Expand the IT department & hire a CTO to follow your own mission statement and provide reliable technology to your employees. This should allow you the security to allow employees to work remotely when necessary.

10. "Best Place To Work Ever"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fisher Investments is about the only company I know of that believes in paying it's employees what they are worth even if it is more than the industry average.

Cons

There are very few negatives to working at Fisher Investments.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.