Fisher Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Damian Ornani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Mandatory 50 hour work weeks for most roles (in 22 reviews)

• middle management tends to not listen to anyone but themselves, long hours 10 hour days are the norm (in 20 reviews)

"Opportunity"

Current Employee - Manager in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Talent, hard work and results are rewarded without exception. The firm is always pushing forward so those that apply themselves find plenty of opportunities and ability to make an impact. It is extremely satisfying to work for a company that prides itself on bettering the investment universe and not becoming complacent. I work with a lot of bright people that also have a solid moral foundation—doing right by clients. I’ve worked elsewhere and attest there is a big difference working at Fisher in a good way. This became increasingly apparent the longer I worked here and moved up—it doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a two-sided investment, and one that pays off over time with more experience and perspective, but most importantly an experience one feels increasingly proud of as accomplishments are attained.

Cons

There aren’t superficial bells and whistles. It’s a place to work hard and be rewarded with compensation and increasing responsibility. Everything is earned. The parts of the employee experience that matter most are solid. To me this is not a bad thing but for those just looking for a job and cruise along will find it difficult and frustrating. Make the most of any job here—there are silver linings to any situation—I’ve faced plenty of tough ones, but I always felt a sense of personal growth and accomplishment afterwards. As a result of rapid growth and the constant improvement ethos, there can be much to complain about; but, those that see adversity as opportunity, are resourceful and add value do well.

Advice to Management

Keep up the momentum trying to be better at all facets of the business. Add flexibility where lack thereof doesn’t help.

2. "Good job if you are good at it."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance. 40 hour work week every week without exception. They literally force you off the computer if you are trying to stay late.
    Great compensation.
    Most leads are qualified.
    20 days of PTO.
    Health insurance.
    Dental/Vision
    50% 401k match up to a maxed out 401k
    You don’t even have to close.

Cons

High activity level.
    Dealing with lots of rejection.
    Ultimately if you are good it’s an incredible opportunity.
    If you aren’t a natural born sales person you will struggle with handling all the objections.
    Frat culture prevails here.

Advice to Management

If someone funds 100 clients for 100 million give them senior AE. The base hasn’t been adjusted in almost two decades.

3. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits. Only 40 hours a week for the account executive role. Tons of paid time off that adds up to about 28 days/year. Meritocracy - they reward high performance and success.

Cons

Really can't think of any. There are some growing pains because we are growing pretty quickly, but management is very thoughtful about our growth.

4. "Institutional Associate"

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time

Pros

Fisher provides good learning opportunities in a fast paced environment. You can try a variety of roles to find the right fit for you. It's a good place to gain experience and get your career started.

Cons

The rigidity of the work schedule is unnecessary, and top performers are not rewarded as they should be. It has a reputation for being a pressure cooker for a reason. They only reward you just enough to prevent you from quitting. While I've learned a lot in my time here, I feel under appreciated and will be glad when my Fisher days are behind me.

Advice to Management

The lack of associate autonomy hampers the learning environment and eliminates any potential for goodwill towards the company. Improve the pay if you want employees to stay for life, or provide more professional development opportunities.

5. "FI"

Pros

Great culture for all employees

Cons

Reactive management, could do better looking forward

"Be prepared to drink the Fisher kool aid."

Former Employee - Junior Associate in Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Junior Associate in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are decent. Pay is alright. Cool fisher gear. Educational. Great place to start.

Cons

An abundance of rude, judgemental, and shallow people. Exponential amount of favoritism. Gossip. Tense work environment. High turnover rate. Work overload. If you aren’t an Investment Counselor or senior management then you are replaceable. Depressing work environment.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed the idea of fisher but I left because I got tired of the disrespect from lower management. They are very undertrained. Lack direction. Quick to blame the team for their mistakes. Team lead worked at the firm for a year. No management experience at all. Gossiped about the team in and outside of work. Made a point to pick people out during meetings for poor performance. The worst part is the teams would joke about giving their work to JA’s because they didn’t want to do it.

7. "Good place to start career"

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time

Pros

Benefits
    Leads given to you

Cons

Not very diversed
    Lack of direct promotion path

Advice to Management

Give help to those struggling

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team environment. Transparent metrics determine resources allocation, income, and career growth. Great work life balance.

Cons

Minimal amenities, repetitive work.

9. "You’ll love it at first... then you’ll see their true colors!"

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

401k match
    Benefits (only Kaiser and UHC)
    Pay (but 50 hour work weeks)
    WA based company
    (The benefits and pay makes it hard to leave)

Cons

Cultish- you better drink the koolaid or you’re out!
    Male management - hardly any women in upper management or making investment decisions
    Micro managers and inexperienced managers
    Office politics
    Mandatory 50 hour work weeks for most roles
    Fear based mentality
    High turnover / always new faces/ always hiring

Advice to Management

Don’t teach and manage through fear. Unconventional thinking should be rewarded, not reprimanded. Fisher was built off junk mailers... the people who didn’t think it would work were wrong. Maybe that unconventional thinking does work! The nay-sayers should get the boot or treated unfairly because they are saying no or disagreeing with something or not drinking the “koolaid”! Hear these people out!

There are so many people at this firm making so much money with very little skill set. They are referred to as the people with the “golden handcuffs”. If they started 12+ years ago then they likely fall into this category. They will never quit because at this point they have families that solely rely on them and are making $200k+ with bonuses!

The new CEO is apparently making some changes but haven’t seen any yet. Most if not all upper management started here right out of college so they have no other experience BUT Fisher. So if you go against their ideologies, you will be blacklisted and eventually pushed out. They make your life hell if they don’t like you so you are forced to quit. They don’t like to fire people due to unemployment cases and legal reasons. They just rather you quit so they will write you up for subjective things that can’t be measured or just plain laugh at you, treat you poorly and make it unfair beyond belief.

Plus this company has 30-50 different departments, some of which mean nothing. Fisher just created them. A lot of the skills learned here are old school thinking and aren’t transferable to other firms, especially if you stay in financial services.

The lower level managers here are a joke. Don’t get me wrong there are a small few that are competent and deserve their pay but others... are promoted too quickly with no training, micro manage you, they will take credit for your work, they will manage you through fear, they likely don’t know how to do your job, the list goes on.

When you first start here, you will be it but the new fancy job will tarnish and you will start to see right through it! Don’t be caught up on them flying you out for an interview and fancy meals and the food trucks etc. it’s all for show! Ask yourself this... why is Fisher ALWAYS hiring? Maybe cause they can’t keep/retain their employees... They will tell you it’s growth!

"Best place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fisher has been a dream come true for myself and my family. I love working here, the pay, benefits and opportunity can't be found anywhere else in this industry.

Cons

CA building is a bit old and dated.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and promote those that are willing to work hard.