Fisher Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Damian Ornani

Pros
  • Fisher also has great benefits and will pay for you licenses as you advance your career (in 40 reviews)

• Work/life balance in the sense that you do not frequently work overtime, and you are not allowed to take work home with you (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • 10-hour work days, 50-hour work weeks (in 20 reviews)

• middle management tends to not listen to anyone but themselves, long hours 10 hour days are the norm (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Build a Career"

Current Employee - Team Leader in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fisher is a place where you can work in lots of different areas over the course of a career. So, unlike so many of my friends at other companies, I don't have to seek out a new employer every few years in order to earn new responsibilities or learn new skills. The firm also prides itself on education, so there are ample opportunities to learn about finance, the industry, and world events from a capital markets perspective. I've worked at other firms where that is absolutely not the case.

Cons

Fisher is definitely not for everyone, and I would encourage anyone considering a job here to really get to know the culture--ask as many questions of the recruiters and interviewers as you can. The day-to-day can be tough for people not used to intense environments, and the formality of the office will be a culture shock to anyone coming from Technology or other similar firms in Silicon Valley.

Advice to Management

For folks who do well over time and earn it, more schedule flexibility would be nice.

"A great place for a long career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodside, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodside, CA

Pros

I started at Fisher as a CSA (entry level) at about the same time as the previous poster, and we probably had the exact same job. Without going into too much detail, I am still at Fisher, still very happy, and have since worked in several different areas, not just sales or operations. There is huge opportunity for career advancement. Most of the people I started with, in the same job, have been promoted within the firm, or have rotated to a different department. It's true there is high turnover in the first 12 months, which is true for any finance or money management firm. But turnover after 12 months is basically non-existent, again because of the opportunity for advancement. Keep in mind, of the three co-presidents, one started as a CSA (as I did) and the other in entry-level trading. Not everybody is cut out for someplace that is competitive, so I can understand why people who didn't make it might be upset. Incidentally Fisher made BusinessWeek's top 100 places to launch a career based on compensation and opportunity, which is something to be proud of.

Cons

I suppose I'd prefer if we had an office in downtown San Francisco for a shorter commute for me personally. But the benefits far outweigh the convenience for me of a shorter commute.

Advice to Management

We opened an office recently outside Vancouver, Washington, which is nice for people who'd like to buy a home outside of California, where it's very expensive. No state income tax in Washington. I'd like to see more offices in more no income tax states. Texas would be nice for the warm weather.

"Very unique. Management is very supportive."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

I've worked in financial services before at different places, and Fisher is unique in how much they really care about employees and want it to be a place where you have a long career. It seems like the managers are really interested in where you want to go and helping you get there. Also, if you want, you can try different areas. If you really like Sales, for example, you can stay in Sales forever, but if you want to try another area, they'll let you train and rotate so you build a different set of skills. In some sense, its up to you as an employee to set your path, but they support you a lot no matter what you decide.

Cons

To be honest, because I've seen the grass isn't greener, I don't have many complaints

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. One of the best things about this firm is how supportive management is, and I hope that doesn't change

"What's all the complaing about? I think Fisher Investments is a good place to work!"

Current Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Great group of bright, young movivated people. Good compensation and benefits. A chance to learn a lot in a short period of time. Many people end up working in many different departments to see where they are best suited. Potential for advancement in team leader areas.

Cons

Parking can be a problem, but that is pretty minor. Sometimes employees may feel micromanaged. Now is somewhat of a tough time at Fisher Investments because we didn't get clients out of stocks in this bear market. However, who did? Everyone is working to hold clients hands' through the hard times and make sure they continue to be clients so they can benefit from the next bull market.

Advice to Management

Continue to support your employees so they will stay on board for the upcoming market turnaround.

"Excellent place to develop a long career"

Current Employee - ICTL in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - ICTL in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Fisher offers competitive pay and a place to develop a long-term career. Employees are encouraged to develop themselves professionally by rotating to different areas of the firm if they choose. Alternately, employees can choose to develop depth by becoming specialists in a certain role. Either development model is open--depends on the employees choice. Management is interested getting employees into the right role for them. It's a great, challenging and competitive atmosphere, no two days are ever the same.

Cons

Employees who aren't interested in money management or a competitive workplace may burn out. But that's no different than other finance or money management firms.

Advice to Management

Every firm has disgruntled former employees, and a small number of current employees who are disgruntled. That's normal, particularly for a competitive, money management firm. It doesn't mean anything. By and large, from my experience, employees enjoy what they are doing, enjoy their colleages, and enjoy the challenge and opportunity at the firm.

"Getting to do what I do best"

Current Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Having worked in financial services sales for a few years, I was really happy to find Fisher. What’s different about Fisher is they have people focus on what they do best and there’s segmentation of responsibility. Instead of hunting and gathering more clients, and making trades, and servicing the clients, and doing my own research, and doing my own marketing, and hunting and gathering some more, at Fisher my job is to focus 100% solely on servicing clients. At Fisher, the client really is king. My guess is most clients at brokerage firms don’t understand that their sales person spends 80% of his time doing sales and not much time actually managing money. I could go into sales at Fisher, if I wanted to, but at this point that isn’t a route I want to go again, and that’s perfectly ok. It’s nice to be someplace where you can have a long career doing what you know you do best.

Other things I like about Fisher. The overall team is great with a lot of smart people who are happy to be there. From my experience in financial services, the compensation is very very competitive. And they’ve opened another office in Washington where the cost of living is much lower so if you have a family, for example, and want to move somewhere where its easier to buy a house, you can do that.

Cons

I’ve seen some people complain about parking. And no, there’s no door to door valet service. But I think most of the people who complain about parking have maybe never had another job before and they don’t know what’s reasonable to expect. For example, at my last job (also in financial service) there was no street parking because it was in a downtown, fully metered area. The only place to park was in one of a few garages. The closest one was exorbitant. I parked a 15 minute walk away because it was cheaper, but it was still ridiculously expensive and I was walking to work in the rain and cold a lot. Public transportation just wasn’t an option because that would have added an hour to my commute, and I would have been switching three times. So yes, sometimes some people have to park offsite and sometimes that person is me. But at least its free and dry and the free shuttle takes 2 minutes.

Advice to Management

If there’s any discussion of opening more offices I’d love to see one in Colorado.

"Top notch firm - proud to be a part of it"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to State in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to State in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Good pay, very competitive and good benefits
    Great learning environment
    Professionally challenging, every day is different
    Management cares about career path of employees and is invested in employee development
    Opportunities for job growth within the firm, and opportunities to explore different job functions
    Very smart people working there.
    Focus is very much on client and doing right thing for clients long term goals as opposed to short term fees.
    Can develop a long career at the firm

Cons

Money management is competitive, it's not for everyone. Most people do have a great attitude about it, some don't.

Advice to Management

Stay true to what you do. Your client focus it what makes working at Fisher so great.

"Highly recommended - exciting career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Compared to other jobs in money management, pay is very competitive. Also hours are great. No weekends which is just unheard of in this industry. There are lots of opportunities for promotion within in the firm either in your own group or in another group if you want to switch your focus. There’s a lot of access to senior decision makers so you feel like you know what is going on and why. Most people there are very smart and very motivated so its an exciting competitive workplace. The people are great too and I enjoyed the camaraderie and the friends I made.

Cons

It is a competitive work environment which worked for me. You have to take a lot of accountability for yourself and the work you do. I think some people aren’t as motivated so they have a harder time. Also, you get out of the experience what you put in. Which is good for self-starters but not good for people who want to bide their time. That’s true at most money management firms though I think.

Advice to Management

I read another review here where the person said they didn’t get any transferrable skills which I strongly disagree with. That may have been that person’s experience but like I said you get out what you put in, which is going to be true no matter where you work. If you are interested in money management, this is a great place to be exposed to a lot of different aspects of it. I had to leave the firm for a family-related relocation. Otherwise I’d still be there. I’m appreciative of the wonderful experience and recommend it highly to anyone who is motivated and a self-starter and interested in finance or money management.

"great so far and looking forward to the future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

- opportunity to learn a lot very fast
     - lots of accountability and responsibilty
     - teamwork is a big part of the culture. Everyone is motivated to pitch in and help
     - colleagues are smart and motivated
     - being a self starter is recognized and rewarded
     - competitive but collegial atmosphere

Cons

nothing so far. It is competitive which may not be appealing to all. And very fast paced every day is different.

Advice to Management

one of the best things about working at the company is the team atmosphere. Make sure to keep fostering that. Everyone feels very connected to their team and committed to pitching in and thats a great culture to keep.

"Best opportunity in the Industry!"

Current Employee - Client Services in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Great place for career development and growth within this industry. Expect to work hard and continue to be challenged in new and unique ways.

Cons

The cons could be exactly what is written above for someone who doesn't understand that you need to work hard if you ever want to achieve anything meaningful in your life.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you're currently doing. This business works and will continue to do it better than anyone else.