Fisher-Price Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Bryan Stockton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Half day Fridays and vacation are awesome (in 13 reviews)

• Still has a lot of great people working there who care a lot about what they do (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • constant layoffs, work being sent to China, poor management, (in 2 reviews)

• I see cliques everywhere and isolation in certain individuals, people walking with their heads down in the hall (in 2 reviews)

1. "Awesome Experince"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in East Aurora, NY
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in East Aurora, NY

I worked at Fisher-Price (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and very friendly employees. They really allow you to explore and expand your own abilities.

Cons

None at the particular moment

"Good company, but slow growth opps"

I worked at Fisher-Price full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance
    People are really nice and most are very talented and easy to work with
    Fast paced environment (which I liked) - always something to do

Cons

Don't promote very often; growth opportunities are hard to come by
    While people are nice, they can be clique-y and preferential treatment is visible in some layers (i.e. same people are asked to go to international trade shows instead of giving this learning opportunity/experience to rising managers or associates)
    There were a lot of org changes and executive level transitions while I was there, often making people nervous, unsure of job security and consistency in leadership

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities to mentor and help your employees grow within the organization (this includes working on high-profile projects, traveling to gain experience in different concentrations within the company, coaching to become a better manager, etc)

3. "Director of marketing"

I have been working at Fisher-Price full-time

Pros

Great people and purpose and vision

Cons

Too many layers and tough to move quickly

Advice to Management

Empower teams

4. "Temporary hire turns into permanent position"

Pros

Flexible schedule. On campus fitness center and cafeteria,

Cons

Finding alternate routes when commuting to/from work on main highways(400 & I-90) is not advisable.

5. "Seasonal Employees are made to feel non-existent"

Current Employee - Consumer Service Representative/Seasonal in East Aurora, NY
    Current Employee - Consumer Service Representative/Seasonal in East Aurora, NY

I have been working at Fisher-Price part-time

Pros

I honestly can't think of any pros other than a set schedule and store discount.

Cons

I witnessed a girl say, "like you need more of that", to a girl carrying food down the hall on my way to the cafeteria. Feels like high school all over again. That isn't an example of a "team" atmosphere as this company claims to have here. I see cliques everywhere and isolation in certain individuals, people walking with their heads down in the hall. I've come to the point where I don't want to do my job anymore because I don't feel comfortable here. Gossip and ignorance are not qualities a company should want to have and they don't say much for it's culture. I'm not sure people "listen". Maybe what this company needs is to practice mindfulness/awareness of their words to be better. It should start with management being a more positive example by showing appreciation toward others. You get a lot better performance out of someone who you teach with care and respect rather than someone who you ignore and scold. Employee Performance will decline when employees are dealing with feelings of worthlessness due to another employee, whether it be someone of the same or higher rank, doesn't matter. I have seen very little empathy here and that makes this a negative experience for me and a place I don't feel proud working for. This company is too "young" in the respect that it's immature and has a lot of "growing" to do if it's going to keep employees happy enough to do their jobs effectively. I will not be coming back. Thank you to 2 people of the management team for giving me hope that one day you could possibly change this department into a more positive one. One departmental flaw will cause damage to the entire company. I was under the impression this was a unified company and a family-like team atmosphere. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Advice to Management

Start paying attention to those around you and notice how they treat others. Has anyone ever heard of empathy?? Use it.

6. "Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Aurora, NY

I worked at Fisher-Price full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get all the benefits of working for a large company: really fantastic time off (even when just starting out), corporate gym, cafeteria, and excellent benefits. Liberal environment.

Cons

You get all the cons of working for a large company: high blood pressure, worry that you won't make it through the next round of layoffs or (maybe worse?) that you'll still be there doing the work of three people because the other two got laid off.

Advice to Management

When there's high turnover in a department that isn't layoff-related, look at the manager. They're probably intolerable.

7. "Marketing Associate"

I worked at Fisher-Price full-time

Pros

-Benefits
    -Half day Friday's
    -Made good connections and friends

Cons

-miscommunication from managers
    -no direction from managers
    - training from managers is little to none
    -employee morale is very low
    -very little stability and trust
    --miscommunication from managers
    -managers don't train very well and decide to micromanage instead
    -employee morale is very low
    -too many people and cycles involved in decision making process

Advice to Management

-have trust in your employees and stop micromanaging
    -stop cost reducing the toy until it’s not longer decent

"Friendly and Collaborative Env., Lack of Formal Training"

Pros

The Fisher-Price office is very friendly and the company emphasizes a collaborative working environment. There is also half-day Fridays year round, with the option of flex-time.

Cons

There is a lack of formal training associated with the job, which leads to learning as you go. Additionally, there is frequent restructuring, which makes it hard to get into a groove at work.

"Family atmosphere with lots of opportunity for change"

Former Employee - Graphic Production Artist in East Aurora, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Production Artist in East Aurora, NY

I worked at Fisher-Price full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fun products, creative co-workers. Stable, fair work in a growth-minded management setting. Lots of room to influence products and coworkers. Interesting time of change for the brand.

Cons

Lots of turmoil within the Mattel family of brands as management shifts as Mattel tries to find it's footing in a digital landscape. Slow moving machine, with pockets of creative innovation that often got crushed (along with moral).

Advice to Management

Fisher-Price felt much stronger in the earlier days of purchase by Mattel. Foster the strength of teams and recognize the value of individual creativity. Empower employees to make change and support it.

10. "Mechanical Design"

Former Employee - Mechanical Designer in East Aurora, NY
    Former Employee - Mechanical Designer in East Aurora, NY

I worked at Fisher-Price full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Half-days on Fridays, pay is good

Cons

constant layoffs, work being sent to China, poor management,
    too many chiefs killing all the Indians

Advice to Management

please quite, you have done enough damage