Fisher-Price Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bryan Stockton

Pros
Cons
  • If Fisher Price is still in East Aurora by 2016 I will be amazed (in 3 reviews)

• Poor management, no direction, indecisive leaders, long hours, depressing environment (in 2 reviews)

1. "Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Aurora, NY

I worked at Fisher-Price full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get all the benefits of working for a large company: really fantastic time off (even when just starting out), corporate gym, cafeteria, and excellent benefits. Liberal environment.

Cons

You get all the cons of working for a large company: high blood pressure, worry that you won't make it through the next round of layoffs or (maybe worse?) that you'll still be there doing the work of three people because the other two got laid off.

Advice to Management

When there's high turnover in a department that isn't layoff-related, look at the manager. They're probably intolerable.

2. "Seasonal Employees are made to feel non-existent"

Current Employee - Consumer Service Representative/Seasonal in East Aurora, NY
    Current Employee - Consumer Service Representative/Seasonal in East Aurora, NY

I have been working at Fisher-Price part-time

Pros

I honestly can't think of any pros other than a set schedule and store discount.

Cons

I witnessed a girl say, "like you need more of that", to a girl carrying food down the hall on my way to the cafeteria. Feels like high school all over again. That isn't an example of a "team" atmosphere as this company claims to have here. I see cliques everywhere and isolation in certain individuals, people walking with their heads down in the hall. I've come to the point where I don't want to do my job anymore because I don't feel comfortable here. Gossip and ignorance are not qualities a company should want to have and they don't say much for it's culture. I'm not sure people "listen". Maybe what this company needs is to practice mindfulness/awareness of their words to be better. It should start with management being a more positive example by showing appreciation toward others. You get a lot better performance out of someone who you teach with care and respect rather than someone who you ignore and scold. Employee Performance will decline when employees are dealing with feelings of worthlessness due to another employee, whether it be someone of the same or higher rank, doesn't matter. I have seen very little empathy here and that makes this a negative experience for me and a place I don't feel proud working for. This company is too "young" in the respect that it's immature and has a lot of "growing" to do if it's going to keep employees happy enough to do their jobs effectively. I will not be coming back. Thank you to 2 people of the management team for giving me hope that one day you could possibly change this department into a more positive one. One departmental flaw will cause damage to the entire company. I was under the impression this was a unified company and a family-like team atmosphere. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Advice to Management

Start paying attention to those around you and notice how they treat others. Has anyone ever heard of empathy?? Use it.

3. "Family atmosphere with lots of opportunity for change"

Former Employee - Graphic Production Artist in East Aurora, NY
    Former Employee - Graphic Production Artist in East Aurora, NY

I worked at Fisher-Price full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fun products, creative co-workers. Stable, fair work in a growth-minded management setting. Lots of room to influence products and coworkers. Interesting time of change for the brand.

Cons

Lots of turmoil within the Mattel family of brands as management shifts as Mattel tries to find it's footing in a digital landscape. Slow moving machine, with pockets of creative innovation that often got crushed (along with moral).

Advice to Management

Fisher-Price felt much stronger in the earlier days of purchase by Mattel. Foster the strength of teams and recognize the value of individual creativity. Empower employees to make change and support it.

5. "Mechanical Design"

Former Employee - Mechanical Designer in East Aurora, NY
    Former Employee - Mechanical Designer in East Aurora, NY

I worked at Fisher-Price full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Half-days on Fridays, pay is good

Cons

constant layoffs, work being sent to China, poor management,
    too many chiefs killing all the Indians

Advice to Management

please quite, you have done enough damage

6. "Awesome Experince"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in East Aurora, NY
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in East Aurora, NY

I worked at Fisher-Price (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and very friendly employees. They really allow you to explore and expand your own abilities.

Cons

None at the particular moment

7. "Ever shrinking work force"

Current Employee - Project Manager in East Aurora, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in East Aurora, NY

I have been working at Fisher-Price full-time

Pros

Great brand, great people to work with, fun toy projects. The employees are hard working and dedicated to making quality products they can be proud of.

Cons

The workforce has been shrinking in East Aurora over the last few years. Mattel has been cost reducing its operations sending many jobs to China, and India. At some point are they going to close the East Aurora campus and move it to NY or LA?

Advice to Management

Fisher Price is a jewel in Mattels crown. But it often seems forgotten, especially at the East Aurora office, as Fisher Price NYC takes priority, as does Barbie and Hot Wheels. As children get older younger I would think a focus on preschool toys would be a priority at Mattel as their older age toys are struggling.

8. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Aurora, NY

I worked at Fisher-Price (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

management has no clue what is going on in the company

Advice to Management

staff according to needs

"Engineering, Management"

Former Employee - Just One of the Amigos in Grand Island, NY
    Former Employee - Just One of the Amigos in Grand Island, NY

I worked at Fisher-Price full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- You won't find a better group of people to work with, from the rank and file to mid/upper management, the people are true to their core, best in class, real people who care about each other. I was blessed to be a part of that for most of my career.
    - You won't find more rewarding work - at the end of the day, you will make children have fun!
    - The work is truly inspiring - motivating - rewarding. Who gets to make toys all day.
    - Read the cons below, go into this company with eyes wide open, it is still a great opportunity! You will be surrounded by some of the most passionate, creative people you will ever meet and you will learn so much. With the right attitude, it is all what you make of it.

Cons

- The toy industry continues to evolve becoming more and more competitive. The retail and online landscape push the limits on cost/value and make it extremely difficult to deliver on margin expectations, which has been the root cause of many of FP's woes.
    - Senior management is no longer rooted in the old FP culture - those people who cared about you, who had your back and you would go to battle for them are gone. It is now lead by SVPs that are pressured by big business corporate America. They are motivated by continuous cost cutting, outsourcing as much as possible. They have no connection, no compassion, and no empathy for the people and the values of FP and absolutely no idea what it takes to bring new product innovation to market - it's all about the numbers.
    - Because of this, FP has lost their way - focused on the cost efficiency of product execution, implementing the cheapest ways to execute new product development - they struggle to nurture creativity. As much as they talk about how important the people are to FP, they don't act on this talk. They threw the baby out with the bath water and continue to struggle with bringing real game changing product innovation to market.
    - Think twice if you are the sole provider to your family as you may never feel very secure about the longevity of your career at FP, which could add a lot of stress to your life. Don't go into this job thinking you'll be in it for the long run - your mindset should be one year at a time and always have a backup plan.
    - No company is perfect – a lot of the cons are based on benchmarks from FP’s history, however, in today’s world, FP may not be much worse than most F-500 companies.

Advice to Management

It's not about you!

"Not What It Used To Be"

Current Employee - Marketing in East Aurora, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in East Aurora, NY

I have been working at Fisher-Price full-time

Pros

- Get to work on toys and entertainment; fun work.
    - Part of larger corporation (Mattel) so opportunities to do and learn a lot if you seek it out.
    - Some good, talented people.
    - Large corporation for Western NY.
    - Good for a few years to have on your resume.

Cons

- Company not doing as well and lacks strategic direction. Constantly changing management and turnover.
    - Continuous layoffs (several times a year), trend of moving jobs to Asia/outsourcing and getting rid of experienced people for younger staff. Trying to do more with unrealistic staffing levels.
    - Say they support innovation and new ways of thinking but don't walk the walk.
    - Culture is changing to where you are just a number/worker bee.

Advice to Management

Not sure.

11. "Packaging Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Made great friends working in the NYC office. Worked with some fun brands. Half day Fridays, and overall benefits are pretty good. Supports creativity.

Cons

The work culture seems to be fading, and there can be a bit of drama in the office. Workload can be heavy and may have to work some evening and/or weekends.

Advice to Management

Improve workload efficiency.