Fishman Public Relations Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brad Fishman

1. "Good place to get in, get your feet wet and move on."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Fishman Public Relations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sky's the limit, if you want to work hard and pitch like crazy, this place gives you the opportunity to do a lot of things that larger PR firms wouldn't let Jr. associates do.

Cons

The work tends to be the same. It's pitching the same type of story over and over.

Advice to Management

Cultivate more of a learning culture and set more defined levels of seniority.

"Get in, Get Promoted, Get Out ASAP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Fishman Public Relations full-time

Pros

If you're a fresh college graduate, this is a great place to start. You'll learn a ton about franchise public relations. You'll get a lot of experience very fast, and if they like you, you'll be promoted to account executive at or around your year review. They try to give you goals to help you progress. The vast majority of people are great to be around. Work-life balance is good if you set the expectation from the beginning that, barring emergency, you will leave on time.

Cons

Once you start leading accounts it all goes downhill if one of your clients is unhappy. Usually clients become unhappy because senior management has told them you can accomplish ridiculously unrealistic things and expect you to do it anyway. A lot of the time, when unrealistic expectations were set, the team would pull through and get the results that were promised - these occasions are used as a reason to lie to clients about what can be accomplished moving forward.

Getting media hits is treated like sales and you are compared number to number with your peers regardless of what other necessary skills you might bring to the team. If your results are down, you will be punished almost like you're in high school. The lack of flexibility is disturbing. They pretend to have a super fun! wow! yay! amazing! company culture, but really they don't trust you and have no intention of treating you like an actual person - you are a money making pawn.

Salary negotiations are a joke, and I would venture to say that all of the current employees are being paid plus or minus $10,000 below than industry standard. They hire only fresh college graduates with no PR internships so they can low-ball you on salary.

This has been going on for years, the turnover rate is insane, and nothing has changed because upper management doesn't care about anything but their profit margins and using these awful business practices they have somehow (god only knows how) managed to stay afloat. I have a sneaking suspicion a lot of the 4+ star reviews on this site are not real.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they deserve. Stop lying to clients about what you can accomplish. Value skills other than straight media relations. Get some kind of semblance of professionalism. Actually internalize complaints from past employees instead of shrugging everything off and pretending that if someone was unhappy it was because they just weren't a good fit for the company, because it's not. It's because working for Fishman PR, for the most part, sucks.

Fishman Public Relations Response

Feb 8, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for recognizing the positive aspects of working at our agency in your "pros" section, such as the valuable experience our employees receive, the great people we have on the team, our ... More

3. "Never a dull day"

I worked at Fishman Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of young people and energy. CEO is constantly on the road getting new clients and making contacts, which keeps the client base healthy and makes you feel good of a stable future. They have a niche vertical they focus on which is the franchise industry and are known as No. 1 in the space. Solid health and dental benefits plus an IRA. They also have a lot of structure and training which is unusual for a PR firm.

Cons

Way too many clients to handle. Tough for employees to juggle the work, even though the team leaders try very hard to organize priorities there is just no way to keep up. At the end of the day you never, ever feel done or accomplished. If you want to give 100 percent to any client or project it's impossible so you have to give up your high standards for work perfection, which is really hard for people like me.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to increase retainers so you can keep your profit margin but reduce number of clients. Your people would stay longer if they didn't get so burned out. I heard management was trying to do that but I just can't wait that long. Meanwhile, keep up all the fun things about the culture - that is what kept me going when I thought I was going to lose it from stress.

Fishman Public Relations Response

Feb 8, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review. You brought up some excellent points that have been addressed. Best of luck to you in your future career.

5. "Gained a ton of experience and knowldege about public relations and all that it entails (more than just press releases!)"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Fishman Public Relations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands on experience; Media Relations; Learning how to pitch; Working on a variety of clients in a variety of industries; skills that will last and are highly marketable when ready to move to a new career; meet new people and have access to high-ranking execs

Cons

As with any job, some of the employees were dramatic when it wasn't necessary. (i.e. junior level staff right out of college)

"Very young employees--cliques"

I worked at Fishman Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was located near where I live.

Cons

Every employee has at least 12 clients, so the workload is oppressive and clients don't really get served. Because client retainers are not based on number of hours spent on their account and number of hours spent per account are not tracked, some demanding clients get very over served and others--the nicer ones--get ignored. Employees are all white, largely Republican or apolitical, in their early 20s, love to drink and love sports. If you don't fit those criteria, it will be difficult to advance, if even offered a job there.

Advice to Management

Hire more diverse employees, don't micromanage, give each employee fewer clients,change client billing structure.

"Promote from within, learn a lot"

I worked at Fishman Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loyal employees are rewarded with promotions, fun company culture with 4:00 pm close on Fridays from May-September, catered Halloween costume party with prizes, a holiday party, 1/2 day workday on the day before a holiday, bagels on Fridays, gift cards and other incentives for good weekly performance in terms of press hits. Two weeks vacation earned after first 6 months of employment, five days sick and more than five paid holidays. Good work/life balance for a PR firm.

Cons

There is no logic regarding who leads accounts, travels to conferences, does high-stakes crisis communication--employee could be account coordinator in first month of employment. Nearly every employee is under 24 years old, except for the CEO, COO, a couple of VPs and an account manager. They all love sports and drinking on weekends. Also, management plays favorites.

Advice to Management

Hire more diverse employees--age, race, hobbies, political affiliation. Also, management can be quick to terminate.They'll even fire people after 6 years! Also, they have a weekly tally and handle PR like sales. Don't have a bad week in terms of press hits--unless you're one of the favorites, of course. Also, management can be very critical in performance reviews. I was borderline verbally abused in a performance review, but given a $3k raise at the end of the very same dressing down. It can be crazy-making being simultaneously (figuratively) patted on the head with one hand while being punched in the face with the other.

8. "Growth + Experience + Great People = Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Social Media Account Coordinator in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Social Media Account Coordinator in Northbrook, IL

Pros

Fishman PR is a great place to work for a variety of reasons. For a start, I love the location and the office building in which it is located. The organization has a wide variety of clients (a lot of them are huge brands), so you are always learning about new industries and the inside workings of various organizations whose names you see and hear on a daily basis. This, not only makes for interesting and diverse assignments and daily work, but also provides you with a broad field of knowledge that you are excited to share with family and friends.

Additionally, Fishman PR is constantly growing as an organization and want every employee to do the same. Top management is excellent in trusting its staff and ensuring that every individual is expanding, improving and growing in order to move forward within their careers. There is a wealth of knowledge to be found at this company, and you won't have to try hard to find it and learn from it.

As for the people, nothing less than excellent can be said. Everyone works as a team to help each other out when needed. There is a lot of collective energy and creativity that often inspires and motivates on a personal level. A wide range of personalities and all are respected and embraced. Oh, and the dress code is casual, so you really get to know the people you work with and their unique personal styles and fashions.

Cons

You have to love learning and understanding a wide array new industries, organizations, products, services, etc. If you do not care to constantly expand your horizons and learn the ins and outs of various fields, it may be a difficult adjustment to make.

Advice to Management

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

"Working at Fishman PR is fun, interesting and never boring!"

Current Employee - Creative Director in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Northbrook, IL

Pros

I love the variety of work that we do at Fishman PR. No two days are ever the same. It is a family atmosphere where all of the staff is friendly and helpful. I have worked at a number of agencies including some of the bigger ones and I can honestly say that I get up in the morning and look forward to coming into work at Fishman PR.

Cons

There really aren't many cons of working at Fishman PR. I guess that the biggest one would be that it is a small agency so everyone knows what everyone else is doing. I like the accountability but I can see how some people might have to make an adjustment if they are used to working in a big agency setting.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Continue to hire talented people.

10. "Absolute torture"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Northbrook, IL

Pros

There were a lot of young people; it was pretty easy to get promoted; they implemented some fun activities like a summer outing and holiday party; the clients were not boring

Cons

-There were a lot of young people = turnover was bad.
    -It was pretty easy to get promoted = your job responsibilities did not change - all they do is pitch to the media 24/7, and you would get called out if your phone line was not lit up all day. Not sure if they still do this but they had interview boards where you would tally the number of media interviews you lined up every week for clients - if you had less than one a day you got called out.
    -One time I left home in the morning on a really snowy day at 6:30 am to get in by 9 (if you were late, management went nuts running around looking for you) and I was a little late - got yelled at.
    -Micro management is really bad
    -Management plays favorites big time; I know people who never got tallies on the interview board yet continued to get promoted and are now managers; yet others who did the same amount/kind of work as them were fired
    -Felt like I was in high school; in my first week there, I was talking to a couple other employees trying to get to know my new co-workers and my supervisor came by and said slyly, "I hope you're talking about work!"

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and micro-managing. Stop acting like we're high schoolers. Relax a little bit and you'll boost morale.

11. "Internq"

Pros

Organized, but not much to do as an intern

Cons

You feel like an intern.