Fishman Public Relations Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Brad Fishman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Public Relations Summer Intern"

Pros

Really relaxed atmosphere and lots of great people

Cons

Not many! Great company to work at

"Plenty of Opportunities for Professional Development, Growth and Success"

I have been working at Fishman Public Relations full-time

Pros

1) Labeled as a media relations firm, Fishman PR provides opportunities for employees to refine their PR skills in a variety of ways. From the traditional media relations pitching to event planning and execution - employees get to work in a variety of capacities.

2) The broad range of clients makes each and every day different. You will never feel like you are stuck in a rut, constantly pitching the same thing over and over.

3) Because of the structure of the agency, you truly feel like you are a part of a team. With 5-7 people working towards a common goal of satisfying our clients, everyone is held accountable to help reach the objectives.

4) Management is very accessible. Opposite of larger agencies, employees have a direct line of communication to high-level management at Fishman PR. Whether a team leader or the COO of the company, everyone is always accessible and willing to help.

5) You will get a lot of opportunities to interact with clients face-to-face whether at meetings, conferences or conventions. It is a huge perk of the job to be able to shake the CEO's hand and have them tell you what a great job you are doing. It helps build morale and makes employees want to work hard for our clients. Management encourages face-to-face interactions to build long-lasting relationships.

6) Fishman PR is THE most respected PR firm in the franchise space and you truly feel that day in and day out from others around the industry. Whenever you mention that you are with Fishman PR, the first response is typically "wow, I have heard great things about you guys." It feels great to be a part of an organization that is so well-respected.

Cons

1) Each team is assigned a particular set of clients so people tend to get stuck only collaborating with the people on their team vs. venturing out and working with others around the agency.

2) The workload can seem a bit overwhelming at times. One of the most important skills an employee can develop (quickly!) is time management and organization to 'keep it all straight'.

3) Because employees can move fairly quickly up the ladder at Fishman PR, there is a need for solid management training. (This is currently being addressed.)

"Great Opportunity to Hone PR Skills"

I have been working at Fishman Public Relations full-time

Pros

- Great place to learn various aspects of public relations and hone your skills as a PR professional. There are a handful of employees who started as interns and worked their way up; some are now Senior Account Executives, Account Managers and Senior Account Managers.
    - They want to see you grow. There is a clearly defined growth path as well as regular reviews/check-ins with managers to make sure you’re on track.
    - Ability to support clients in several different industries. Yes, they all have franchising in common but span a diverse group of industries, so no two weeks are alike.
    - Clients of all sizes – big name brands like Anytime Fitness, Massage Envy, Marco’s Pizza, etc. that help you get your foot in the door with national media contacts. Having accounts with only 10 locations and some with thousands teaches you to change your approach/offer different types of stories to media.
    - Ability to work with entrepreneurs. Especially with the smaller-unit accounts, you oftentimes are working directly with the founders of the company. Many are inspiring, and you get to be part of their business’s success.
    - Opportunity to travel to local TV segments/media interviews, as well as when you secure opportunities with media in NYC.
    - Under 50 employees – small agency feel, but not too small that you feel threatened if an account leaves. The CEO and president are constant faces in franchising and Fishman PR is “the PR agency” to work with if you’re a franchise. With this, there is a constant pipeline of new business. Everyone gets along and oftentimes gets lunch or happy hour together.
    - Employees are given work laptops after 3-12 months of employment. You will have access to the drives, which makes it easy if you need to complete something before or after work hours.
    - Ability to meet clients in-person, attend their conventions, etc. They believe that in-person communication can foster the client relationship and are open to opportunities when they arise.

Cons

- Workload can become challenging. You need to learn how to multi-task and efficiently prioritize your time – but, hey…this happens at a lot of places. Honing these skills early-on will only help you in the future.
    - It’s PR…you need to learn how to be flexible and understand that your plan for the workday can completely switch at the drop of a dime. Anything can happen – a crisis might arise, a national opportunity might fall through and you need to save face with the client…you never know what the day will bring you when you sit down at your desk to start the work day.
    - As an Account Coordinator and Account Executive, it may feel more like a sales job. That’s basically what media relations is – you’re selling a story to a reporter or producer. You need to change your mindset and see it more as a game – how can you convince them to do a story on the client? What compelling nugget can you pull from the client that is going to pique the interest of media? What new outlet or column will you uncover today? Once you do this, it won’t feel like sales. Also, the reference to ACs and AEs feeling this way is because a majority of their time should be spent pitching and building relationships with media. They do also write press releases, bylines, etc.; take part in brainstorms; meet clients; help with higher-level assignments, etc. – but, they need to be able to generate media results for clients. Yes, other skills are great and truly valued; but, when someone only secures five media opportunities within six months, and they are low-quality or easy opportunities we secure all the time, then the person isn’t truly contributing to the team. The agency is very team-oriented, so when one person slacks off or isn’t producing results, then it makes it harder on the team. That’s not fair to the team. Typically, it’s pretty evident when someone isn’t contributing and the team leader will work with them to help problem solve – you won’t just get left out there to try to figure it out for yourself.

"Account Coordinator"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Fishman Public Relations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is welcoming, friendly and fun -- The "clique" is the entire office. There are more than several levels one can advance to in terms of promotions, and people really do get promoted frequently. In the entry-level spot, one can pitch any outlet with any idea and isn't treated like "low man on the totem pole." Great work is recognized. Managers are undoubtedly respectful and receptive to ideas. Bagel Fridays are a nice touch too! Another perk is being able to work in the city office a few days a week.

Cons

Honestly, nothing I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep treating everyone with respect like you always do and continue to recognize great work through positive feedback and promotions.

May 14, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We care about our staff and work hard to build an upbeat, positive culture that feels like family. We're glad to see you feel at home and set up to... More

"Internq"

Pros

Organized, but not much to do as an intern

Cons

You feel like an intern.

May 4, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

We have a structured internship program which includes an onboarding process with an intern coordinator, an intern mentor on each team, training and periodic formal check-ins. We have guidelines that... More

"Get in, Get Promoted, Get Out ASAP"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Fishman Public Relations full-time

Pros

If you're a fresh college graduate, this is a great place to start. You'll learn a ton about franchise public relations. You'll get a lot of experience very fast, and if they like you, you'll be promoted to account executive at or around your year review. They try to give you goals to help you progress. The vast majority of people are great to be around. Work-life balance is good if you set the expectation from the beginning that, barring emergency, you will leave on time.

Cons

Once you start leading accounts it all goes downhill if one of your clients is unhappy. Usually clients become unhappy because senior management has told them you can accomplish ridiculously unrealistic things and expect you to do it anyway. A lot of the time, when unrealistic expectations were set, the team would pull through and get the results that were promised - these occasions are used as a reason to lie to clients about what can be accomplished moving forward.

Getting media hits is treated like sales and you are compared number to number with your peers regardless of what other necessary skills you might bring to the team. If your results are down, you will be punished almost like you're in high school. The lack of flexibility is disturbing. They pretend to have a super fun! wow! yay! amazing! company culture, but really they don't trust you and have no intention of treating you like an actual person - you are a money making pawn.

Salary negotiations are a joke, and I would venture to say that all of the current employees are being paid plus or minus $10,000 below than industry standard. They hire only fresh college graduates with no PR internships so they can low-ball you on salary.

This has been going on for years, the turnover rate is insane, and nothing has changed because upper management doesn't care about anything but their profit margins and using these awful business practices they have somehow (god only knows how) managed to stay afloat. I have a sneaking suspicion a lot of the 4+ star reviews on this site are not real.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they deserve. Stop lying to clients about what you can accomplish. Value skills other than straight media relations. Get some kind of semblance of professionalism. Actually internalize complaints from past employees instead of shrugging everything off and pretending that if someone was unhappy it was because they just weren't a good fit for the company, because it's not. It's because working for Fishman PR, for the most part, sucks.

Feb 8, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for recognizing the positive aspects of working at our agency in your "pros" section, such as the valuable experience our employees receive, the great people we have on the team... More

"This company will make you appreciate working anywhere else"

I worked at Fishman Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really smart colleagues. You can get away with a lot because management is largely focused on the wrong things.

Cons

Leadership had no real skill or tact. Very unprofessional owners and managers in the office and at public, client-facing events. This is a churn and burn chop shop for clients. Less than a year is the average client life cycle. Low retainers and unrealistic results placed on junior staff who get no real training or roadmap for success. The performance reviews are a joke. And the idea of diversity is hiring someone from a different part of Illinois.

Advice to Management

Stop fighting in front of staff. Respect yourselves. Know that business karma is real and those clients you rip off will one day figure it out. Stop blaming staff for an ill conceived business model.

May 4, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Fishman PR has been in business for over 25 years and has multiple clients who have been with us for 7-20 years. We continue to grow our client roster and our staff along with it. Clients stay... More

"Good place to get in, get your feet wet and move on."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Fishman Public Relations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sky's the limit, if you want to work hard and pitch like crazy, this place gives you the opportunity to do a lot of things that larger PR firms wouldn't let Jr. associates do.

Cons

The work tends to be the same. It's pitching the same type of story over and over.

Advice to Management

Cultivate more of a learning culture and set more defined levels of seniority.

May 4, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

We are glad you enjoyed the opportunities we provided with meaningful work that many firms don't offer to junior staff. We believe experience is the best way to learn -- a learning by doing approach... More

9. "Never a dull day"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Fishman Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of young people and energy. CEO is constantly on the road getting new clients and making contacts, which keeps the client base healthy and makes you feel good of a stable future. They have a niche vertical they focus on which is the franchise industry and are known as No. 1 in the space. Solid health and dental benefits plus an IRA. They also have a lot of structure and training which is unusual for a PR firm.

Cons

Way too many clients to handle. Tough for employees to juggle the work, even though the team leaders try very hard to organize priorities there is just no way to keep up. At the end of the day you never, ever feel done or accomplished. If you want to give 100 percent to any client or project it's impossible so you have to give up your high standards for work perfection, which is really hard for people like me.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to increase retainers so you can keep your profit margin but reduce number of clients. Your people would stay longer if they didn't get so burned out. I heard management was trying to do that but I just can't wait that long. Meanwhile, keep up all the fun things about the culture - that is what kept me going when I thought I was going to lose it from stress.

Feb 8, 2016 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you so much for this balanced and fair review. It truly brought out the positive aspects of our agency while also addressing some of the challenges we face as we continue to grow. We have... More

10. "Gained a ton of experience and knowldege about public relations and all that it entails (more than just press releases!)"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Fishman Public Relations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands on experience; Media Relations; Learning how to pitch; Working on a variety of clients in a variety of industries; skills that will last and are highly marketable when ready to move to a new career; meet new people and have access to high-ranking execs

Cons

As with any job, some of the employees were dramatic when it wasn't necessary. (i.e. junior level staff right out of college)

May 4, 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

So glad to hear you learned a lot and enjoyed your time hear. As for the drama, it's all part of office life - no matter the age of the staff. It keeps things interesting, as long as it's not too... More