Fitbit Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fitbit CEO James Park
James Park

Pros
Cons
  • The company can be split down the middle - those who have amazing work/life balance and those who burn the candle at both ends (not by choice) (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely fast pace, sometimes long hours (in 8 reviews)

"Leaner and meaner"

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After a pretty bad 2016, Fitbit's CEO laid it to us straight: 2017 is going to be a rebuilding year. We are only at the beginning of our reorg, but it's clear that this is no joke: About 100 people were laid off, and some very high level people were "mutually decided" off. Company structure makes a lot of sense, with more revenue streams being pursued.

+ Can make tough decisions
    + We are still building amazing things that make people healthier
    + Great work/life balance
    + Amazing brand

Cons

Obviously things are a little more anxiety. 2017 is a make-or-break year. If you can't put in the work, try elsewhere.

- Product team can be slow
    - CTO is more disruptive than helpful
    - About a year behind market

Advice to Management

Stop paying attention to the people that led us to this point. Rally the troops on the ground. Invest in your people.

"Could be better"

Current Employee - Customer Support in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone knows Fitbit and it's exciting to work for a company whose products you can see in public every day. Coworkers are generally good people. Lots of team building activities.

Cons

They slashed the perks. Career opportunities and advancement are limited. Salary is below average for a tech company. The company is slow to adapt.

Advice to Management

Support your employees. Create products that are meant to last.

3. "The Few Ups & Mostly Downs of a Transition Year"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

1. Some genuinely great, intellectual and driven people eager to push the company forward.
    2. Flexible Work Schedule
    3. Lots of opportunity to learn

Cons

1. Low Employee Moral
    2. No Free Lunches (This was taken away from us)
    3. Upper Management Issues
    4. Lack of Transparency
    5. Playing catch up in the growing wearables market

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees that still support the vision and direction of the company.

"Avoid the Void"

Current Employee - Research in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The Research team remains very friendly, comprised of smart people, and has great work-life balance (basically borderline irresponsibly lax work culture).

Recently the Research leadership has attempted to crack down on useless projects and finally acknowledged the widespread dissatisfaction with career develop as an actual problem.

Hiring is now happening again, mostly because lots of talent either got fired or left.

Cons

The biggest con, in both my own personal experience (largely validated from my conversation with colleagues), is the lack of leadership material from the Research management.

What makes a great leadership? Here were the top characteristics that were aggregated during a company wide survey of Facebook employees (a company with happy people) and my own experience of whether management met this.

1. Show and demonstrate interest in what is most important for EACH person’s work experience in the team?

Nope. Manager never approach me to ask me specifically what I wanted professionally or helped plan my career path.

2. Support people in finding opportunities to develop base on areas of strength and interest.

Nope. Although leadership knows what my strengths are, they do not care to find out what my interests are, let alone align my strengths with them. In fact I have to actively search for my own opportunities with no support.

3. Set CLEAR expectations for individuals and team

Nope. While we do have a goal setting system, it's viewed as overhead and not treated with much respect. Each team and manager engages with the system differently, yet we've come to find out that it was actually used to determine who got fired. Also people get promoted out of the blue with NO published/defined set of guidelines as to why they were chosen. If the leadership thinks they are making the right promotions, then why can't they have the guts to announce to the team what metrics they used to determine this? Answer: subjective and political

4. Give clear, actionable, feedback on a timely basis

How can you give feedback when are no set expectations of different levels with in the team? It continues to be an excuse for managers to shy away from giving real feedback.

5. Hold people and team accountable for impact

Yep. Not enough impact -> fired

6. Recognize people and teams for outstanding impact

My manager has only recognized me with "good jobs" about 1-3 times in my life.

Advice to Management

Get audited by HR professionals. Isolate managers who need to be put into regular leadership training. Don't just make managers out of great technical people.

6. "Marketing"

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people, happy hours and career development opportunity.

Cons

Loss of perks, disorganization, loss of resources

"Electrical Engineer"

Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology and cool products. Smart co-workers

Cons

Poor management. Managers promoted with no management experience. As a result steep learning curve, no employee development, no growth opportunity, very low morale in engineering as a whole.

Advice to Management

Need management that cares about employees development and growth.

"Great people, not great decision making"

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people to work with
    - The brand and products are widely recognized by people in a positive way
    - Work life balance can be okay depending on your group and manager

Cons

- Key decisions are often by a committee of executives and if everyone doesn't agree than decisions will get stalled... but your ship date is supposed to stay the same
    - Recently morale has been low because the low stock price means your equity has little value and there's a wave of attrition with a lot of the long-time employees

Advice to Management

Give employees more confidence in the vision for the company

"Great Company, Bright Future"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong talent pool. Sales have picked up in a meaningful way. We should be profitable again this year (at least by internal projections). Releasing a new form factor watch this year. The company's is headed in the right direction. Stock hasn't done too well, but most employees are pretty optimistic still. Management has become very proactive in acquiring new partners. Some complaints here and there from employees about cuts in "perks", but honestly, I most of SF employees are spoiled. A public company should be operating lean and mean. At the end of the day, I'd much rather sacrifice free daily lunches for helping to create a strong company of the future. Lots of opportunity in this space. We are actively trying to push into the global market where wearables have performed much stronger. US seems to be too saturated. Global markets have performed well and seem to be getting stronger.

Cons

Management team needs to be trimmed. We've let go a lot of upper "pre IPO" management. They didn't seem to have the sense of urgency needed to success as a public company. Everyone kept deferring for the "long term", but neglected to realize that the "long term" depends on the "short term".

Advice to Management

I believe more upper management from "pre IPO" needs to be replaced by people who have led at other public companies. This is the tough transition required to success at a public company. We've done a pretty good job so far, but I think more can be done here.

"Marketing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, mission driven and fun place to work

Cons

Upper management doesn't know what it's doing

"Future is Cloudy"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit (More than a year)

Pros

Fitbit wants to be a great company. The founders are well intended. There have been some serious management shake-ups in the upper echelons of the company in an attempt to right the ship.

Cons

There are still too many people who don't contribute much. There are lots of managers of this and that, but there aren't enough people who are both capable and willing to roll up their sleeves and do actual work. This is one of the bigger factors that creates the work/life dichotomy that's been noted - some people are working insane hours and other people seem to have plenty of time for workout Wednesday and still leaving at 5.

We're losing people, and having trouble hiring now.

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward the people who are making a difference instead of coaching them to pull back. Fitbit has a very challenging 2017 ahead of it and work/life balance is not going to be great for awhile. Let's admit that and drive focus on delivering the results we need to survive. Assuming we do survive, then let's also organize ourselves so that the heroics aren't constantly necessary going forward.