Fitbit Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fitbit CEO James Park
James Park

Pros
  • I've got kids and both the benefits and work life balance are excellent (in 20 reviews)

• Great people who love the mission of the company and what they do (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The company can be split down the middle - those who have amazing work/life balance and those who burn the candle at both ends (not by choice) (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely fast pace, sometimes long hours (in 8 reviews)

"Leaner and meaner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After a pretty bad 2016, Fitbit's CEO laid it to us straight: 2017 is going to be a rebuilding year. We are only at the beginning of our reorg, but it's clear that this is no joke: About 100 people were laid off, and some very high level people were "mutually decided" off. Company structure makes a lot of sense, with more revenue streams being pursued.

+ Can make tough decisions
    + We are still building amazing things that make people healthier
    + Great work/life balance
    + Amazing brand

Cons

Obviously things are a little more anxiety. 2017 is a make-or-break year. If you can't put in the work, try elsewhere.

- Product team can be slow
    - CTO is more disruptive than helpful
    - About a year behind market

Advice to Management

Stop paying attention to the people that led us to this point. Rally the troops on the ground. Invest in your people.

"Short Run. Best Experience."

Former Contractor - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Data Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Like many companies, they demand the best from you. But not in an exhausting, run-you-to-the-ground way. They were very supportive in my role and when I had questions. Gave me the freedom to explore different options to do my tasks as long as they were given the information they needed. They had a good sense of work-life balance and this was refreshing, especially coming from the video game industry; which has no idea of work-life balance for their employees.

Cons

Probably the organizational and preparation skills. When I first started, they were not properly prepared for my arrival. Also, when my contract ended earlier than expected, they were not prepared for my departure. Felt a little

Advice to Management

I would say to Management that you should not spread yourselves thin with meetings and such. It was difficult to find face-to-face time with various coworkers because they are always demanded of their time as it is.

"Shaky financials but great teams, mission, and R&D"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Not sure about all departments but in mine, coworkers are sharp and hard working when it comes to work, and treat each other like family. Some of the best people I've worked with in any prod/dev org.
    - Exciting products in the pipeline.
    - Experienced product managers and leads who you can actually learn from unlike most startups in this city.
    - Nice offices downtown.
    - Good insurance and core benefits though no 401k matching.
    - Base pay is competitive.

Cons

- Likely not news to you if you're reading these reviews but, stock price is not doing well and revenues are starting to shrink. This prompted recent layoffs from some departments.
    - Communication from executive level down, both on strategy and financials + layoffs, has not been handled well.
    - Some perks (i.e. free lunches) cut due to budget constraints but others including gym/wellness stipend, wireless stipend etc. remain.
    - Some individuals work long hours or often take work home because of deadlines or lack of resources but Fitbit has certainly not been the highest-workload place I've worked.

Advice to Management

- Work on communicating with the staff earlier and being more transparent about future plans. Also work on putting things into perspective when shared out (i.e. less "look how bad last quarter was" and more "this is how our long term plan will be impacted").
    - Consolidate product portfolio.
    - Press hard for continued R&D innovation and push to get concepts into actual products. Lots of great ideas but lack of follow through to shelves is hurting us against giants like Apple and Samsung. Start thinking more outside the box.

5. "QA Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Fun, fast place to work!

Cons

None that I can think of.

6. "Work-Life balance is great"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance and start up company enivorement

Cons

Tough business to compete with Apple watch etc

Advice to Management

N/A

"Work Hard, Play Hard"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time

Pros

Fun company culture, work with talented and cool people, awesome work perks, "work hard, play hard" mentality

Cons

Work politics can get overwhelming at times

Sep 25, 2016 – CPO

Thanks for your review and glad to hear you are finding a good balance. We would love to learn more about your "politics" comment and work towards reducing this. Please feel free to speak to ... More

"Recruiter"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun culture
    Free devices
    fast paced
    high expectations
    A players

Cons

Can be unorganized at times.
    Managers don't make the quickest decisions

Advice to Management

Try and be more clear on expectations.

9. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting company, great people. Interns are treated extremely well. Personal growth was always front of mind with my lead and team.

Cons

I often felt uninspired by some of the products I was working on. At times I definitely felt like I was treated as "the intern" - not in a hurtful way, but more so I felt like less was expected of me which sort of bugged me.

Advice to Management

Keeping helping young individuals grow. Give out more responsibility in small ways.

"Great place to work."

Former Employee - Lead Mechanical Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Mechanical Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Happy Hour every Friday, workout meetings every Wednesdays and great new exciting products to work on.

Cons

No defined development process. Fitbit is still internally in startup mode and the fast chaotic work environment is not for everyone. Best suited for highly motivated self-starters.

Apr 15, 2016 – CPO

Thanks for your feedback. We have recently implemented a feedback program to support employee development and we also have a number of programs and training offerings. Please feel free to meet with ... More

"Good company with some growing pains."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fitbit offers a great work environment with like-minded people all really interested in solving problems in the health and wellness space.

Cons

The explosive growth means there are still a lot of processes that need to be worked out, and inter-team relationships that need extra care and attention.

Apr 22, 2016 – CPO

Thanks for your feedback. We are all truly interested in helping people live healthier lives and solving these challenges for our customers. We also continue to work to implement some structure and ... More