Fitbit Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Fitbit CEO James Park
James Park

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I've got kids and both the benefits and work life balance are excellent (in 24 reviews)

• Great people who love the mission of the company and what they do (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Rapid growth requires "start-up" type hours which restricts true work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely fast pace, sometimes long hours (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great work life balance and great people"

I have been working at Fitbit full-time

Pros

great work life balance, flexible schedules, fun events during work, nice office space, people are really supportive and friendly, people are able to get things done in an efficient manner, instead of wasting time having meetings about meetings and unnecessary email chains (the worst)

Cons

The biggest con is no free lunch, which seems frivolous but in the bay area, it's kind of a big deal. There are Friday happy hours with food though, like sushi and tacos.

"Reaching the bottom"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart colleagues, important missions. We are sitting on a pile of unpolished gold. Need more incentives to make gold miners aggressive.

Cons

Company is facing transition. People with no faith in the company start leaving. Sadly some of them are pretty talented.

Advice to Management

Good people need better compensation. Losing good people with important domain knowledge is more expensive than hiring new ones and training them again.

"So happy I joined fitbit!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products, great people, great perks! Love the flexible time off policy (unlimited vacation), on-site fitness classes, no meeting Wednesdays, WOW -
    (Work out Weds- wear workout gear to the office). Gorgeous office space in great downtown location (easy BART commute), great snacks, love beta testing new products. CEO/ founder is approachable and humble- great guy!

Cons

Company is in transition - some new leadership has joined who are great (Ops, Product, HR, FW Eng) and the strategy is being renewed so there is a lot of change underway. It's an exciting time, especially for people who aren't afraid of change. Change is necessary to grow-- those who don't change/adapt disappear.

Advice to Management

Hire people who are flexible and like change. Don't fret when the old guard leaves - this is good for the company culture. Stay visible and approachable. Invest more in manager development.

4. "The team is personable and upfront, coudlnt ask for more."

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Im left alone to do my work, my manager is not shy to tell me what he thinks about my progress for better or worse.

Cons

i cant think of any

Advice to Management

keep up the great work

"Great Company, Bright Future"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong talent pool. Sales have picked up in a meaningful way. We should be profitable again this year (at least by internal projections). Releasing a new form factor watch this year. The company's is headed in the right direction. Stock hasn't done too well, but most employees are pretty optimistic still. Management has become very proactive in acquiring new partners. Some complaints here and there from employees about cuts in "perks", but honestly, I most of SF employees are spoiled. A public company should be operating lean and mean. At the end of the day, I'd much rather sacrifice free daily lunches for helping to create a strong company of the future. Lots of opportunity in this space. We are actively trying to push into the global market where wearables have performed much stronger. US seems to be too saturated. Global markets have performed well and seem to be getting stronger.

Cons

Management team needs to be trimmed. We've let go a lot of upper "pre IPO" management. They didn't seem to have the sense of urgency needed to success as a public company. Everyone kept deferring for the "long term", but neglected to realize that the "long term" depends on the "short term".

Advice to Management

I believe more upper management from "pre IPO" needs to be replaced by people who have led at other public companies. This is the tough transition required to success at a public company. We've done a pretty good job so far, but I think more can be done here.

6. "Incredibly Smart Coworkers"

I have been working at Fitbit full-time

Pros

staffers are thoughtful, innovative, and genuinely want to improve the health of their users

Cons

the way teams are structured can be a limiting factor for certain projects--but the execs are working on it!

7. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great company and work environment! Compensation is highly competitive.

Cons

Long hours, but worth it! You need a strong work ethic and great business skills to succeed here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Awesome Place to Work"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Fitbit as an intern

Pros

Nice people, little ego, expanding quickly. Most everybody is friendly and it will not be hard to get help from the people who may know something better than you do.

Cons

Few cons. Location isn't necessarily the best. Things can change really quickly but that is just going to be seen with a young & fast paced company.

"Great place for balance!"

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fitbit is in growth mode, lots of smart people working on interesting challenges, inspiring vision for the company from the CEO, well funded and staffed teams. I've got kids and both the benefits and work life balance are excellent.

Cons

Rapid growth makes some coordination a challenge, some managers are new to leading and need time to get seasoned. Tech heavy interviews need to be rounded out with more focus on real achievements and soft skills.

Advice to Management

Investments in pm org was on target, love the company vision, would love more details!

Fitbit Response

Sep 25, 2016 – CPO

Thanks very much for your review. Great to hear that you are finding balance and support from our benefit programs and cultural commitment. We have recently kicked off our "Elevate" program to... More

10. "Excellent culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Long term vision of CEO

Cons

very fast pace. sometimes confusing to work there.