Fitbit Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The company can be split down the middle - those who have amazing work/life balance and those who burn the candle at both ends (not by choice) (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely fast pace, sometimes long hours (in 8 reviews)

"Leaner and meaner"

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After a pretty bad 2016, Fitbit's CEO laid it to us straight: 2017 is going to be a rebuilding year. We are only at the beginning of our reorg, but it's clear that this is no joke: About 100 people were laid off, and some very high level people were "mutually decided" off. Company structure makes a lot of sense, with more revenue streams being pursued.

+ Can make tough decisions
    + We are still building amazing things that make people healthier
    + Great work/life balance
    + Amazing brand

Cons

Obviously things are a little more anxiety. 2017 is a make-or-break year. If you can't put in the work, try elsewhere.

- Product team can be slow
    - CTO is more disruptive than helpful
    - About a year behind market

Advice to Management

Stop paying attention to the people that led us to this point. Rally the troops on the ground. Invest in your people.

"Avoid the Void"

Current Employee - Research in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The Research team remains very friendly, comprised of smart people, and has great work-life balance (basically borderline irresponsibly lax work culture).

Recently the Research leadership has attempted to crack down on useless projects and finally acknowledged the widespread dissatisfaction with career develop as an actual problem.

Hiring is now happening again, mostly because lots of talent either got fired or left.

Cons

The biggest con, in both my own personal experience (largely validated from my conversation with colleagues), is the lack of leadership material from the Research management.

What makes a great leadership? Here were the top characteristics that were aggregated during a company wide survey of Facebook employees (a company with happy people) and my own experience of whether management met this.

1. Show and demonstrate interest in what is most important for EACH person’s work experience in the team?

Nope. Manager never approach me to ask me specifically what I wanted professionally or helped plan my career path.

2. Support people in finding opportunities to develop base on areas of strength and interest.

Nope. Although leadership knows what my strengths are, they do not care to find out what my interests are, let alone align my strengths with them. In fact I have to actively search for my own opportunities with no support.

3. Set CLEAR expectations for individuals and team

Nope. While we do have a goal setting system, it's viewed as overhead and not treated with much respect. Each team and manager engages with the system differently, yet we've come to find out that it was actually used to determine who got fired. Also people get promoted out of the blue with NO published/defined set of guidelines as to why they were chosen. If the leadership thinks they are making the right promotions, then why can't they have the guts to announce to the team what metrics they used to determine this? Answer: subjective and political

4. Give clear, actionable, feedback on a timely basis

How can you give feedback when are no set expectations of different levels with in the team? It continues to be an excuse for managers to shy away from giving real feedback.

5. Hold people and team accountable for impact

Yep. Not enough impact -> fired

6. Recognize people and teams for outstanding impact

My manager has only recognized me with "good jobs" about 1-3 times in my life.

Advice to Management

Get audited by HR professionals. Isolate managers who need to be put into regular leadership training. Don't just make managers out of great technical people.

3. "Marketing"

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people, happy hours and career development opportunity.

Cons

Loss of perks, disorganization, loss of resources

"Leadership has lost its way."

I worked at Fitbit full-time

Pros

Attracts many fitness enthusiasts.

Cons

This review is long overdue but necessary. I hope all the best for Fitbit, but the most recent executive leadership in HR was toxic. This executive HR leader illustrated that nepotism was ok by hiring her friend from a previous job who lives outside of the country. She allowed him to stay 2 weeks every month in SF sometimes bringing friends, sometimes family with him and then again by not laying him off in January when it was clear there was no value add brought to the team. Sadly, even the people in other senior HR roles didn't have a say in the matter even though they knew this was happening and saw that he was no longer an asset.

Furthermore, internally Fitbit is a real life example of the movie Office Space. If you're bad at your job and are lazy then you will get promoted. It doesn't matter how great of a job you do or how outstanding your track record is, working hard will get you nowhere in the company especially as it relates to HR. My only hope is that Fitbit finds a strong and honest executive HR leader who makes decisions that are focused on the company to instill trust back into the employees. This is no easy task, but for the sake of the customer base and employees this is vital to the company's ability to bounce back from the current state of affairs and turn things around.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the leaders you are hiring, single handedly they can change the culture of their department.

5. "Great People"

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best colleagues you will ever have; Zero Politics; smart colleagues; flat organizational structure; very humble management; everyone is treated with respect; good product; cooperative and respectful work culture; good work life balance; people are always willing to help; a profound sense of we are in it together.

Cons

Pay is less; growth can be restrictive; stock market has not been very kind to the company which in turn affects your pay. Fitbit has a great product but suffers from meeting high stock market expectations.

Advice to Management

They are doing a good job, but should consider paying more, otherwise it will be difficult to retain smart people.

6. "Research Scientist"

I worked at Fitbit full-time

Pros

Product are ok. Free snacks and meals.

Cons

Poor management. Biologist and chemist are promoted without significant merit.

7. "Fitbit"

I have been working at Fitbit full-time

Pros

Great people to work with
    Staffs are always friendly and more than willing to help one another

Cons

Low pay
    No career opportunities
    Managers are blinded by arbitrarily chosen metric instead of focusing on quality of work
    Lack of investment for employees' development
    If you are hired as a contractor, expect to test your limits of your patience

Advice to Management

Please invest in your own employees and focus on retaining talented people who are dedicated to your company.

"Electrical Engineer"

Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology and cool products. Smart co-workers

Cons

Poor management. Managers promoted with no management experience. As a result steep learning curve, no employee development, no growth opportunity, very low morale in engineering as a whole.

Advice to Management

Need management that cares about employees development and growth.

"Great people. Bad leadership."

I worked at Fitbit full-time

Pros

Dedicated and capable design group. Creative engineers. Good, open environment for collaboration and teamwork.

Cons

Ineffective corporate leadership who have a lack of strategic vision, or who cant communicate that vision to the company. Incompetent guidance to Wall St that has resulted in plummeting stock price and widespread employee dissatisfaction.

Advice to Management

Time for founders to step down, or at least partner with, leaders who have a realistic plan for the company.

"Marketing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fitbit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, mission driven and fun place to work

Cons

Upper management doesn't know what it's doing