KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Fitbit

Engaged Employer

Fitbit

Add a Review

Fitbit Employee Reviews about "fitbit"

Updated Aug 13, 2021

Found 54 of over 448 reviews

4.2
Fitbit CEO James Park
James Park

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Fitbit and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "fitbit"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Exciting, supportive company

Jun 25, 2021 - Health and Wellness Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Truly loved working for Fitbit. The teams I worked with were always open to new ideas, supportive, and interested in getting to know my values.

Cons

Recently acquired by Google, a lot of changes happening.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0

Good starter gig

Aug 13, 2021 - Technical Support Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work schedule, free Fitbit products every year, great work-life balance, work from home stipend, coworkers are passionate about Fitbit' mission

Cons

Poor management, cannot action initiatives, no career growth, low recognition for work/efforts, low bonuses, low incentives to do quality work

3 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great culture. Cool product features in pipeline.

Jul 31, 2020 - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great development environment with all sorts of infrastructure frameworks and teams support. Managers are super supportive - easy to switch teams for working on the projects you are interested. Colleagues are friendly and helpful. I've been enjoying working at Fitbit so far. The roadmap of the future deliveries is awesome.

Cons

No free lunch provided. But do have happy hours every Friday with decent food.

1 person found this review helpful

Fitbit Response

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts on working at Fitbit. We're so happy to hear that our managers are supportive and you enjoy working with your colleagues! We look forward to when we can host our Friday Happy Hours again! Thanks again and we appreciate everything you do for us!

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

You won't find better coworkers or more flexibility anywhere else!

Jan 31, 2020 - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been working at Fitbit for over three years and enjoy working everyday because I love my coworkers! I started as an entry level HR contractor and have been able to move up and explore my career interests overtime. My favorite part about Fitbit is everyone assumes positive intent. The humility and brilliance of my coworkers is unparalleled. I had a lot of preconceived notions about tech prior to joining Fitbit but have been continuously pleasantly surprised that there is no ego here. I am very proud and happy to work for Fitbit.

Cons

The snacks don't rotate as much as I want them to but even the fact that we have access to free snacks and drinks is so amazing!!

1 person found this review helpful

People Team

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts on working at Fitbit. We're glad you have had such a great experience and are appreciating the free snacks and drinks!

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Senior Software Engineer

Mar 19, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The work environment is great! Everyone is so nice. The salary is higher then the average level. The work-life balance is brilliant!

Cons

Since Fitbit is in the progress of acquisition with Google, there might be some uncertain sceranios around this case.

Be the first to find this review helpful

People Team

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts on working at Fitbit. We're glad you've enjoyed the work life balance and strong camaraderie we've worked hard to make part of our culture at Fitbit. We appreciate everything you do for us and look forward to working hard to make Fitbit the best place possible to work and build a career.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Firmware Engineer

Oct 4, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

CEO and CTO are still very much connected to engineering. It's not uncommon to have James or Eric sitting in and contributing to an engineering discussion. It's clear from all my interactions with them that they care about the health of the organization, not just the bottom line. Fitbit has a great product and the leadership knows that they must continue to improve in order to stay on top of the market. The investment in engineering is impressive. Fitbit brings San Francisco engineering culture to San Diego and that's refreshing. Engineering managers all remain very technical and they continue to contribute to projects. The engineering team is extremely supportive, trusting and demanding all at the same time. Very flexible work hours to accommodate a healthy work/life balance. Afternoon walks/runs/workouts are extremely common. Fitbit is setup for remote workers. Working from home can sometimes be even more productive than working in the office. Modern workplace perks like 6 catered lunches a month, snacks, drinks, happy hour Fridays For now, they still pay for traditional (low-deductible) medical benefit plans Generous Employee Stock Purchase and Bonus Program

Cons

Fast growth is stretching the management team thin. Very ambitious schedules for future products are on the edge of demoralizing for the more seasoned Fitbiters. It will take time for the hiring boom to kick in and allow us to crank out new devices quicker and quicker.

8 people found this review helpful

CPO

Thanks very much for your review and your very insightful feedback. It will take time for the new hires to ramp, but we are getting even better at selection as well as integrating and getting new hires to be productive as fast as possible. Please let us know any feedback you may have to help with these efforts.

7. 2.0
    Former Employee

Unfortunate State of Affairs

Jan 21, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

A really great mission underlies this company - "Making the world a healthier place". Who couldn't get aligned with that mission? In past, there has been a great external brand, image and connection to the world. Made you proud to be part of it.

Cons

This is an HBR text book case of the impact of Leadership. The company had everything going for it, and has really floundered due to inexperienced and a really out-dated approach to building a company, executing on a vision and cultivating employee engagement, connection and loyalty. The two founders are simply inexperienced and take far too long to catch on to what matters and often just don't. The CFO has a classic 1970s/80s mindset. Anything employee related is an expense that can be cut without a second thought and then wonders why there is 40% turnover. So many talented people gave it their all and then gave up. The replacements are mediocre of course, because the brand has lost it's appeal. What A players are going to leave great roles to join Fitbit now? Really sad actually. Could have been such a great story.

36 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Former Employee

Leadership has lost its way.

Apr 9, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Attracts many fitness enthusiasts.

Cons

This review is long overdue but necessary. I hope all the best for Fitbit, but the most recent executive leadership in HR was toxic. This executive HR leader illustrated that nepotism was ok by hiring her friend from a previous job who lives outside of the country. She allowed him to stay 2 weeks every month in SF sometimes bringing friends, sometimes family with him and then again by not laying him off in January when it was clear there was no value add brought to the team. Sadly, even the people in other senior HR roles didn't have a say in the matter even though they knew this was happening and saw that he was no longer an asset. Furthermore, internally Fitbit is a real life example of the movie Office Space. If you're bad at your job and are lazy then you will get promoted. It doesn't matter how great of a job you do or how outstanding your track record is, working hard will get you nowhere in the company especially as it relates to HR. My only hope is that Fitbit finds a strong and honest executive HR leader who makes decisions that are focused on the company to instill trust back into the employees. This is no easy task, but for the sake of the customer base and employees this is vital to the company's ability to bounce back from the current state of affairs and turn things around.

10 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

RUN, do not walk, to the NEAREST EXIT.

Oct 13, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Offices in downtown SF. No south bay commute is nice. - Cool to work on hardware products. - Raw passion and compassion for colleagues at the lowest levels of the hierarchy.

Cons

Buckle up, buttercup. - Lack of vision from top leadership on whether we want to be a health company or a consumer electronics company. This creates a fragmented and broken product portfolio. Latest smartwatch release is a prime example. It pales in comparison to almost any other smartwatch on the market, and though it is equipped some more advanced sensors, they are not functional on the product because the software work required wasn't completed. - Numerous layers of completely inept middle management are given way too much power. The largest piece of this problem is the product management org, which needs to be completely gutted. The new trimester planning process is a turf war, consisting of weeks to months of bitter fighting to get features on the roadmap. We end up committing to doing too much, since NO ONE seems to do any resource planning to figure out whether we actually have the staff to build what the PM org and execs put on the roadmap. The actual dev and design teams who will be tasked with the work have little voice in this process and only find out the results at the end. Compounding all of these problems, the planning cycle takes so long and happens three times per year which means we're almost always in a planning cycle and continuously shifting around our priorities. - Teams across the product development side of the house (sw and fw engineering, QA, design) are all understaffed. This leads to dismal team morale, constant tension between ICs in these teams, and very high attrition rates even by Silicon Valley standards. Some employees are so overworked that they come in even when sick because they have too much on their plates to take time off. - Due to overcommitting and lack of resources, the scope and feature set of products we release are usually severely cut from the original plan for the product, to the point that the original vision for the product is barely recognizable in what is actually released. - Major lack of diversity especially in management teams. Mostly white men. The company has no visible programs to foster diversity in hiring. There are some special interest programs once already inside, but they don't seem very active. Fitbit's answer to our diversity problem is "we don't have one." - C-level leadership is not present and feels disconnected from the rank and file. Bi-weekly all hands meetings feel more like a mandatory address from a dictator than an open dialogue. I have worked at companies much larger than Fitbit, with *thousands* more employees on their HQ campuses, and still felt the executive leadership was more open and connected to staff. The CEO and CTO really should take a pause from whatever they do on a daily basis and take time to meet with a listen to all of the teams building out their products. -- As a sub-item to this, there is a lack of transparent communication from the top down at Fitbit. Exec leaders yack all the time about how they are working to improve this, but little has changed. Prime example: earlier this summer, there were apparently some kind of violent threats made against our San Francisco HQ. The company sent out cryptic emails telling all of us to work from home and not come into the office, but leaving us otherwise in the dark. This came from HR, not even the C-level execs. This went on for several days, with nightly emails saying to "keep working from home tomorrow." After a week, they claimed they worked with law enforcement to confirm it was safe for us to return to the offices, but never shared exactly what the threats were or what steps were taken to keep all of us safe in the future. The entire situation was completely mishandled. Reminds me of our layoffs in Jan '17, but I'm sure there are enough Glassdoor reviews on those so I'll skip over that subject. - There is no formal performance review process at Fitbit. There is only a self service check in web app that is fairly useless. Some departments have come up with their own performance review processes which are biased and opaque. Apparently I have had several performance reviews in my time at the company but no one has ever shared any of the results with me. When I surfaced this complaint to HR, they asked, "have you ever had a conversation that seemed like it _could have been_ a performance review?" *jaw drops*. Given this lack of clear evaluation, promotions seem unfair and opaque, and many ICs and even team leads do way more than their job description but still don't get promoted. This increases our attrition problem. Some who have left have told me they were offered (long overdue) promotions on their way out, which just feels pathetic. - Our entire marketing organization has a very poor understanding of our product portfolio and relies heavily on people in the product development side of the house to do their jobs for them. They have dozens of project managers, coordinators, and other oversight roles but not enough executors which means they outsource or try to force others to fill in on the execution. - Archaic tools and lack of proper productivity technology and processes result in an insane amount of unruly emails, lost decisions, and lack of clarity across functions of the product development org. It is baffling to me how little this company invests in basic project management and team planning software. Our Jira structure is a giant mess with a huge part of the prod dev org sharing one single Jira project with tens of thousands of tickets (not at all how Jira is supposed to work). Different teams also use Jira in different ways which makes it even less effective. Our Wiki is a joke with thousands of unorganized, duplicate, and abandoned pages. This is such an easy problem to solve compared to all the others this company faces. Will someone WAKE UP and smell the roses already?! - Lack of office perks including no food, poor snack choices which never change (and unhealthy ones at that).

73 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Executive level focus amidst day-to-day ambiguity and change

Aug 14, 2015 - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

James and Eric have excellent vision and focus- I don't see myself working on projects that get canceled partway through development. Great people in most organizations. Strong desire to develop high quality products that can make an impact on people's lives. Good opportunities to make an impact on the company, if you are pro-active. Open purse strings to support product development.

Cons

You have to prove yourself to get a promotion. Problematic groups (too boys club, not adequately staffed, etc) and more disturbing, no push to make them better. People say "oh yea, that group would be terrible to work in", but nothing is done about it! Hesitation to define any policy has resulted in us losing a lot of original Fitbit culture. No strong HR organization until very recently- so no training, coaching, education. But it's coming. Desks are terrible- engineers need large desks with shelving/storage.

9 people found this review helpful