Five Acres Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Review"

I worked at Five Acres full-time

Pros

Five Acres is a great organisation. My bests to them.

Cons

I choose not to say anything negative at this time.

Advice to Management

I choose not to say anything about management at this time.

2. "Okay for social service industry"

I have been working at Five Acres full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, autonomy, middle of the road pay (relative to other companies)

Cons

Unrealistic productivity, insufficient training, low pay (objectively)

Advice to Management

More on the job training to assure staff competency

"The same as the rest"

Former Employee - Clinician
    Former Employee - Clinician

Pros

The people, the clients, as laid back about DMH paperwork as an agency can be at this point. Good ancillary support if you know who to ask. Some great supervisors. Benefits are cheap if you go with Kaiser, otherwise pretty standard. If you are a clinical, if you do your work and meet your numbers you will be pretty autonomous which had value.
    Individual departments do try and build communication and team work.
    HR, finance, IT do help and are orderly and quick.
    Better pay than the smaller agencies worse than some.

Cons

This Agency used to be a crown jewel of non profit mental health. Management has decided to turn it into a corporation which is fine, but they murdered the heart of the place in doing so.
    The residential unit is corrupt and not designed to help the children at all, although I have heard they are cracking down on abusive staff and trying to actually help the children.
    The life of a therapist here is the same as at any DMH agency. Overworked and underpaid. The people can be wonderful but in general morale is decimated.
    Management is semi morally bankrupt and make decisions without actually knowing what they are doing.
    They definitely Play favorites in regards to promotion. Senior Management is petty and does not like to be questioned.
    Service area is enormous you could be driving a lot but you get paid for it.

Advice to Management

Respect your licensed staff. Provide real clinical focused training. Actually care about the disposition of service. Recognize that quality of care brings in more repeat business than expensive ad campaigns and personal fame. Go back to being a non profit and not your launching pad for careers as CEOs somewhere else.

5. "Mental Health Therapist"

Pros

Dedicated, well-trained staff, willing to go the extra mile for clients. Strong mission to provide a wide range of services to children and families with complex needs. Excellent learning institution.

Cons

Keeping competitive salaries with other similar agencies.

Advice to Management

Stay connected to the line staff. Know what is going on from the bottom up and build from there. Value the strengths of your staff.

6. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

Great work-life balance, good mission

Cons

Staff can be more caring towards the kids.

Advice to Management

Train staff on better customer service for the kids

"Positive experience, this is a supportive environment that cares about kids and personal growth and wellness."

Former Employee - TBS Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - TBS Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Five Acres full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, rewarding work, great co-workers, helpful, supportive, encouraging, great trainings, free lunch, serene scenery, centrally located, promotion opportunities, emphasis on team work.

Cons

Inter-department issues, limited resources, working nights or weekends, parking, office space, bureaucracy, benefits, low wages, too many chiefs not enough Indians.

Advice to Management

Listen to the needs of your employees, be more approachable, follow up with needs and concerns, need better benefits and salary.

8. "Dedicated workforce"

I have been working at Five Acres full-time

Pros

From the staff in residential to clinicians out in the field, there is a lot of dedication and passion from the workforce. I work on main campus in Altadena and there are about 80 kids that live there full time (along with admin offices) and I have seen the children have pretty severe blow ups and melt downs. The staff on campus is amazing; patient, kind and doing their best to calm the child or teen down. They are remarkable at doing a thankless job. Social workers out in the field, driving around all over LA, doing their best to help families and kids stay together is amazing to watch and hear stories from other staff about the great work they do helping these families in crisis.

Cons

For someone who had hopes of helping these kids turn around, not everyone has a happy ending. You gotta have stamina to keep going even though a lot of families and children don't change quickly or you don't see results overnight. This kind of work is not for the faint at heart. It takes dedication.

9. "My experience was okay"

Pros

The pay is okay, as with most similar jobs and the overall stay is pretty cool, you get to meet a lot of new people as well

Cons

nothing prepares you fully for the experience but you are held to a high standard to know what needs to be done on things you arent trained on

Advice to Management

I'd say dont let this be a career job, get some experience and find another position higher somewhere else

"Love the energy"

I have been working at Five Acres full-time

Pros

I love the energy at 5 acres. From the frontline staff all away up to the Board of Directors everyone is passionate about the mission and vision. I think the workforce is smart and the leadership innovative.

Cons

I think working in the industry of LA County foster children is just difficult. This kind of work is not for everyone. But I think 5 acres is a great job finding solutions.

11. "Making a diference"

I have been working at Five Acres full-time

Pros

I have been at the agency for a while and have seen the changing culture away from mom & pop to a buisness model and the incorporation of data...good and bad. The level of accountaibilty and responsibility to do work that impacts the children is the emphasis and I am proud to work here. Its about time! That new Clinic Chief is a smart woman but also hilarious

Cons

With the change in cuture there are those resistent to the change even if it is beter for the clients so that can lead to complianing versus solutions by those individuals.

Advice to Management

Keep raising the level of the organization. To be a leader in the industry rocks!