Five Star Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Ed Delgado

"Exceptional Leadership"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Dallas, TX

Pros

I've worked for Five Star for 3 years and love the entrepreneurial spirit that the owner brings to the company. That combined with the CEO's corporate background makes for unparalleled leadership. There's great opportunity for development and growth within the company for those who work hard.

Cons

It's a smaller company, so multiple hats are worn. That's not a con for me but could be for certain people.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Conflicting Directives, Overbearing Management"

Former Employee - Withheld in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Withheld in Dallas, TX

I worked at Five Star Institute (More than a year)

Pros

When I worked there, they had a nice location down by Klyde Warren Park, but have since moved

Cons

I was hired to work in one department but was quickly pushed to work on projects that were not discussed in my interview. I had about six years of work experience coming into the place, so I was expecting that my job role would fit what I was hired for. Instead, when writers quit, I was quickly pushed onto projects with no training. It was uncomfortable. Maybe someone young and fresh out of college would appreciate being shuffled around because they haven't yet experienced a stable work environment. For me, it was too sporadic. With unclear directives and no set goals or objectives to measure improvement, it felt like everyday was a new "opportunity" to prove why you deserved not to be fired. Also, we had to sign-in (by hand) on a piece of paper every morning. Not great for morale.

Advice to Management

My advice is to set company objectives and hold monthly meetings to realign the company with its overall mission and values. Most people there are just trying not to get fired. There's really no culture or defined HR department to make anyone feel secure.

"Innovative Media Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time

Pros

Great office space, benefits and people. Always changing to adapt to the industry.

Cons

Long hours with lots to do. Never any down time.

Advice to Management

Provide more training

5. "Great Benefits / Strong Team / Big Thank You"

Current Employee - Staff in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Staff in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company just finished it's 13th national convention and the Owner and CEO gave the team 3 days off leading into a weekend! Management bought everyone on the team a gift, then took them out for dinner and drinks...oh, they also announced a 10 day "holiday break" with pay. All this in addition to standard vacation. Seriously, they really know how to treat and respect people that work hard.

Cons

Long hours leading up to the conference can be taxing, but the team works hard and supports one another. Dallas traffic is never a good thing. Some staff don't carry their fair share of workload.

Advice to Management

Please, please, please stop hiring part-time help! There is a reason why these 'sour apples' keep spoiling the batch. Bring in people with experience and a work ethic that matches the rest of the team. The Owner / CEO set the pace it's up to the rest of the team to keep up.

"Worst Job I've Ever Had"

Former Employee - Web Developer/IT in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Web Developer/IT in Arlington, TX

I worked at Five Star Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pro's to working here.

Cons

Unrealistic Expectations where the job of a web developer has no defined role. I'll leave all the horrible details out as my previous post was deleted. However, take my advice DON'T TAKE THIS JOB!

Advice to Management

Allow your staff an opportunity for success as opposed to building them up toward failure.

"Dynamic Workplace with Plenty of Opportunity to Shine"

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're bright and talented, this is an organization that will allow you to explore innovative ideas and projects. It's not for the faint of heart, nor for those who talk a big game but never produce. Hard work and creativity will get you moving up the ladder pretty quickly, and the office location is awesome!

Cons

Every organization has its "characters" and this one is no different. Senior management behavior, at times, is more childlike than business-oriented. Screaming is neither professional nor an effective means to communicate within the work environment. A good anger management course would be in order. High turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Tamp down the hysterics and focus on positive reinforcement.

"The company has a lot of work to do...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Five Star Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean offices. Covered parking. Great location to Klyde Warren park. Tons of places to grab lunch.

Cons

This is a very cold corporate environment. There is no form of structure or process flow. Projects get done when people feel they need to be done. No one takes responsibility for anything. They first point fingers at each other. Be careful when critiquing work because the people here are very sensitive. The company has major issues with communication.

"I worked here for nine years and it shaped my career"

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Five Star Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Five Star is one of the most entrepreneurial environments I've ever experienced. I started as a sales person in 2003 and left in 2012 as a VP. The Chairman and CEO work harder than any employee and it drove me to give 150%. I was taught by working hard, combined with perseverance, you can accomplish almost anything. Five Star has always been and continues to be a leader in our industry.

Cons

My cons are not about Five Star but more about some of the negative reviews I've read on this site. I find it interesting that supposed "current employees", there is no way of verifying due to the "anonymous" nature of this site, would collect a check from a place they have such negative feelings about. My advice would be to go experience other places of employment and then you will realize the true quality of Five Star.

May 27, 2014 – Accounting and H/R Director

Thanks for your review. I'm glad to hear your hard work and perseverance paid off.

"Excellent Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Finance and Accounting in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Finance and Accounting in Dallas, TX

I worked at Five Star Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company size - about 40 employees so everyone knows your name and makes you feel welcomed.
    Location - beautifully designed office space that overlooks Klyde Warren Park and free parking!
    Benefits - great medical insurance.
    Compensation - based on your ability and experience. They often give additional incentives for hard work.
    Ideas - management is always open to new ideas and suggestions, they might not use them but are open.
    Longevity - has been in business over 10 years.
    Learning - ablity to learn lots of skills and expand my knowledge of the industry.

Cons

Always Busy - not lots of down time
    Traffic - lots of construction on streets near the office

Advice to Management

Hire a few more upper management to assist with day to day functions. save a tree, utilize the internet more for marketing.

May 5, 2014 – Accounting and H/R Director

Thanks for your comments. I will relay them to our management team. As for the construction, it looks like we are on the downside of it now.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are changing what is expected from and to the industry.

One of the most creative companies I have ever worked for.

They care about customers, employees and the industry.

Push employees to be the best that they can be.

Mobility. Everyone is assigned a laptop.

Open door policy with upper management.

Willing to train inexperienced employees.

Free coffee and soft drinks.

Cons

Uptown location.

Lots of meetings.

Small Company.

Apr 25, 2014 – Accounting and H/R Director

Thanks. As our industry continues to grow and change, we know that we have to change with it or be left on the sidelines. Pushing employees to be their best, pushes us to be our best too. Glad you ... More