Five Star Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Ed Delgado

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Company to Grow Your Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've had the pleasure to work for the Five Star for numerous years in a few different roles/departments. One of the strongest benefits of working for the Five Star is the room for career growth and advancement. I have had the benefit of coming in as an entry-level employee, learning the ropes, and advancing in responsibility and compensation—and I am not unique in having this opportunity. The Five Star has strong leadership in its owner and CEO, who both like to invest in hardworking employees.

The office environment is collaborative and creative. The office design is an open floor-plan which allows employees from different departments to interact. Since the Five Star is a smaller company, employees of all levels have the ability to connect, an added benefit for entry-level employees who would not have the chance to learn from higher executives in a corporate environment.

Among its business lines, the Five Star runs two of the leading publications for the housing/mortgage industry, MReport and DS News magazine, the largest conference in mortgage servicing, The Five Star Conference, and trade associations such as the Legal League 100 and FORCE. As such, the environment is hard-working and fast paced. I enjoy that I am continually mentally stimulated and never feel stifled. Due to the size of the company, each employee has an important role to play.

The management recognizes the hard work and dedication its staff puts in during the company's busy periods and makes sure to balance it by providing time off after major conferences, typically a week off after Christmas on top of a generous vacation package, providing snacks and refreshments in office, etc.

Cons

The company primarily focuses on the housing/mortgage industry, which can be intimidating to new employees who do not have a background in this field. However, the company has experienced employees in both its general staff and management who are invested in helping new employees learn about the industry and bring their own unique talents to the forefront to grow the company. The added benefit is that within this field the Five Star is a recognized and trusted industry leader.

"Don't waste your time working here."

I worked at Five Star Institute full-time

Pros

There are honestly no pros. The first couple of weeks are okay because you're a fresh face and people are trying to feel you out. After that, it goes straight downhill.

Cons

This is honestly the most unprofessional environment I've ever worked in. Upper management is extremely condescending and don't take the time to listen to employees, they completely take advantage of their positions because they have great relationships with the CEO. The editor-in-chief of both publications doesn't even have a degree in journalism, what kind of sense does that make? There's absolutely no work/life balance, its strictly just about work. You are expected to sacrifice your personal time for work without any recognition or incentives. The turnover rate at this company is unnecessarily high. During my five months with Five Star, I've seen over 20 people come and go in my department alone. And with that high turnover rate comes more work. You are expected to wear multiple hats without reaping receiving extra compensation, so don't even bother asking. They don't care about your life outside of work or your well being, they just need bodies to fill the office so they can overwork you until you're burnt out. Not to mention the lawsuits? I don't advise anyone work here because you will be overworked and underpaid. This place is a joke.

"Not Bad, Not Great"

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time

Pros

Plenty of room for growth, helpful co-workers

Cons

Low pay, especially considering the size of the department. Huge need for more employees.

"Innovative Media Company"

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time

Pros

Great office space, benefits and people. Always changing to adapt to the industry.

Cons

Long hours with lots to do. Never any down time.

Advice to Management

Provide more training

"Exceptional Leadership"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Dallas, TX

Pros

I've worked for Five Star for 3 years and love the entrepreneurial spirit that the owner brings to the company. That combined with the CEO's corporate background makes for unparalleled leadership. There's great opportunity for development and growth within the company for those who work hard.

Cons

It's a smaller company, so multiple hats are worn. That's not a con for me but could be for certain people.

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "Great Benefits / Strong Team / Big Thank You"

Current Employee - Staff in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Staff in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Five Star Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company just finished it's 13th national convention and the Owner and CEO gave the team 3 days off leading into a weekend! Management bought everyone on the team a gift, then took them out for dinner and drinks...oh, they also announced a 10 day "holiday break" with pay. All this in addition to standard vacation. Seriously, they really know how to treat and respect people that work hard.

Cons

Long hours leading up to the conference can be taxing, but the team works hard and supports one another. Dallas traffic is never a good thing. Some staff don't carry their fair share of workload.

Advice to Management

Please, please, please stop hiring part-time help! There is a reason why these 'sour apples' keep spoiling the batch. Bring in people with experience and a work ethic that matches the rest of the team. The Owner / CEO set the pace it's up to the rest of the team to keep up.

"marketing"

Pros

willing to hire recent grads

Cons

there was a high turnover rate

"Worst Job I've Ever Had"

Former Employee - Web Developer/IT in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Web Developer/IT in Arlington, TX

I worked at Five Star Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pro's to working here.

Cons

Unrealistic Expectations where the job of a web developer has no defined role. I'll leave all the horrible details out as my previous post was deleted. However, take my advice DON'T TAKE THIS JOB!

Advice to Management

Allow your staff an opportunity for success as opposed to building them up toward failure.

"Small Company"

Pros

a very small, personable company

Cons

revolving door of new hires, faces constantly changing; don't recognize when they have talented personnel

"Turnover is an “understatement”"

I worked at Five Star Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Break room had free coffee and drinks.

Cons

The management treats the team members like a “heard of animals” and no respect.
    They have a policy of “No family members” to work there, BUT they disregard their own POLICY

Advice to Management

Why do you have a handbook if you don't follow it?