KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Five Talent Reviews

Updated Feb 26, 2021

Found 8 of over 8 reviews

4.6
Five Talent CEO Preston Callicott (no image)
Preston Callicott

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Amazing company to work for in 2020, great people and leadership

Feb 26, 2021 - A Happy Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company encouraged continuous learning and education. Always provided anything you needed to move forward.

Cons

No cons at that time, I didn't go through the acquisition and can't speak for current practices but prior it was an amazing place to work.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Valuable Internship

May 9, 2019 - Internship in Bend, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

A great atmosphere to work in, with coworkers who are very willing to lend a hand.

Cons

Onboarding process was still seemed quite new, but it looked like it was improving.

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

50/50

Oct 1, 2018 - Software Engineer in Bend, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Variety of projects. Management is very nice and seems like they want everyone to be happy and succeed. Free lunch and "tech talks" on Fridays.

Cons

Not a large emphasis on writing quality code. Accountable for 40 hours of billable time per week meaning breaks, lunch, tech discussions with co-workers, helping other co-workers, basically anytime you are not writing code it's coming out of your pocket. Which means that working over 40 hours a week is very common and basically required. On-boarding process is still getting fleshed out. Not a lot of discussion around best practices because everyone is focused on getting their code written under the estimated time.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful

CTO

Thank you for your feedback! We always welcome and encourage feedback and will strive to take your advice to improve Five Talent! We are especially troubled with your comment about quality of code. This is VERY important to us. Over a year ago we formalized our process for lead developers to do a code review of all code checked into a project. These lead developers have passed our internal review and have been taught our best practices and what to look for. This has helped increase our quality a lot! In addition to that we do keep our wiki up to date with best practices and suggestions for code improvement and encourage all employees to review and edit the wiki often. These changes as well as many others is apart of our effort to constantly improve quality but we would love more feedback and ideas! Yes, on-boarding process is still getting fleshed out. I don't think we will ever be stable with that process as it is an ongoing learning process that we continually try to improve! Regarding the 40 hours of billable time. I understand the confusion, we had this question brought up a few weeks ago. Our stance is that all full time employees work 40 hours a week but that does not mean they need to log 40 hours of billable time. In fact, many areas in our wiki as well as communication from our project managers emphasis that nobody will have 40 hours of billable time per week. We do not anticipate anyone to log their breaks as well. Quite often people have sub-40 hours logged per week. However, since this is brought up, we must not be doing a good job of communicating that, so thank you for bringing this to our attention! We will over communicate this in the future.

4. 5.0

So Far So Good

Aug 30, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I'm fairly new but excited to be part of this company. They care about their employees and treat them with respect. The hours are flexible which is GREAT! Professional team that cares about their work.

Cons

I'm sure I'll find some but none for now.

CTO

Glad your are here! Please keep the reviews coming and let us know how we can improve!

5. 5.0

Great place to work!

Jul 18, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Seasoned, hardworking professionals. Respectful, positive work environment and great learning opportunities. Enjoy going to work every day. The two owners set the tone, and have outstanding work relationship and business ethic.

Cons

Cons or downsides.. none come to mind.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work, great people to work for

Sep 13, 2015 - Junior Software Developer in Bend, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Relaxed environment. Kind, knowledgeable, and helpful coworkers. Great, respectful management. Interesting and varied projects.

Cons

Hard to be indoors on nice days in Bend.

7. 5.0

Software Engineer

May 19, 2015 - Software Engineer in Bend, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and learning opportunities

Cons

Typical cons when working in a consulting company.

8. 4.0

Software Engineer

May 20, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Independence to work on projects Fun atmosphere They buy Friday lunch Respectful management

Cons

Tracking your time Not having enough time for deadlines Constantly shifting priorities and projects

CTO

Thank you for your review! We would love to find an easier way to track our time or invoice clients. If you have any suggestions we would love to chat! Regarding the time for deadlines. Please feel free to voice your thoughts to your project manager. Our projects need to be a success from all perspectives, from the client deadlines to the amount of time a developer has to do a good job!

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews