FivePrime Therapeutics Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lewis T. "Rusty" Williams

"Manager"

Pros

I have to be honest I have only been working here for a short time but have a great amount of pharmaceutical, biotech, academic and CRO experience in all areas of the drug development business. This company is on track in the same way that all drug companies are and those who complain may not fully understand how companies bring drugs to market. Anywhere that you work there are politics so either you learn the game, find allies or stay out of the way. The important thing is that you do best you can at your job and think of work as a contribution to the success of the company. You will be rewarded in the long run and it takes time, it's a growing company. Maybe I am just used to seeing the process work, but this process to get a drug into the clinic is no different than any other company. People who don't believe in FivePrime will move on others will stay. I'm here for the long haul because I see a future and will take my chances and think management will reward those who stay.

The things in other posts, no benefits, company events etc...I have been at other companies where you would never see the CEO, VP and I mean never. No company monthly parties, no summer events, no sharing of ideas, no meeting with your Department Leaders. Consider yourselves lucky you can talk with Rusty, Bob or Aaron.

Cons

Not many cons, it's a growing company and thing are changing all the time.

Advice to Management

Expand the activities with the middle management and scientist levels to increase the positive attitudes.

"Managers with no management or biotech experience"

I have been working at FivePrime Therapeutics full-time

Pros

Small company, clinical phase so they offer perks so employees don't leave but....

Cons

I agree with many of the reviewers. This is not a team environment. As others have stated, if you "align" with the right people and advertise your efforts, you may have no experience or deserve a promotion, but you'll get it. Politics, politics, politics. Culture is terrible.

Advice to Management

Put people in management, at all levels, that actually have work and management experience. Check your ego at the door and provide training, before promoting someone to manage people. Catering to certain higher ups shouldn't be the basis for promotion.

"Top heavy company, where there are a few people who seem to do all the work."

Pros

Stock option
    Employee stock purchasing plan

Cons

Company culture is very poor, little interaction between groups. For a medium sized company many departments are silo-ed. I came from a larger pharma and silo-ing was an issue too, but for a smaller company, how is that possible? I'll tell you how, I have been in multiple meetings were I was told to withhold information from another group because they "don't need to know". So what happens when people don't know what is going on? Panic and confusion. Far too frequently I have seen meetings reduced to finger pointing and general panic. Overall the company lacks any real structure, which exacerbates all these issues. There are no add on benefits to working for Five Prime compared to other pharma companies, no gym, cafeteria, working from home is frowned upon...etc. I have heard from multiple new employees that in general the people who work here and company overall feels "not very friendly". The building looks like a old closed hospital. For a smaller company I am surprised that I have seen employees not valued, its almost like management feels that people can be replaced. Interesting approach for a small company

Advice to Management

Why does a department of 5 need a vp and 2 assoc directors? Hire more "workers" and less execs. Company culture is about 10 years behind other pharma in the area.

"Good CEO, Middle management not so great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at FivePrime Therapeutics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Science Driven
    CEO has a good vision and is willing to listen

Cons

Middle management plays a lot of politics in project decisions
    Undue focus and reward on the loudest individuals/ employees not necessarily the most consistent, quiet or best team players.
    Wage disparity.

Advice to Management

Should enable more visibility into how rewards, bonus and promotions are decided. And reward the low key employees who really make a difference without necessarily trying to grab attention all the time.

"Great CEO"

I worked at FivePrime Therapeutics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice friendly culture; Good science for the most part; CEO is inspiring, friendly and a good scientist

Cons

I agree with the other reviewer that there is little emphasis on team effort and a lot more on individual stars, which in turn leads to spotlighting a select few individuals and not major achievement by teams which had solid but quiet performers. And such spotlighting quickly becomes detrimental to morale instead of inspiring.
    Real tussle for power by upper/ middle management. Good place for you if are loud but not necessarily talented which in turn leads to misplaced efforts and not enough emphasis on scientific integrity and curiosity.

Advice to Management

Promote more of a team culture, it will be more productive for the company and lead to better work relationships.

"Potential to be great...but"

I have been working at FivePrime Therapeutics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great RAs and scientists who are passionate about their work and striving to improve environment. Lots of potential to have big impact in several areas and promising portfolio. CEO vision is what attracts many to the company, his vision can get lost coming down through the many layers of management.

Cons

There is not a culture of team work, the focus is on individual contribution. Top heavy with lots of middle management elbowing for attention at the expense of those performing the work. Popularity and squeaky wheels get the attention and promotions.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore the solid quiet contributors for the attention getters. Mentoring would go a long way. Give everyone equal opportunity to strive for the next level and promotions and train managers that career development is key to keeping good employees. You might be surprised by who shines if you pay closer attention to everyone.

"senior research associate III"

Current Employee - Staff Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FivePrime Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are awesome to work with. Company has been growing and everything seems exciting.

Cons

No rhyme or reason why one person in a group is promoted while others with more experience, more responsibility etc, are not. Need to do a lot of self promotion. For a small/medium company they don't help you promote or seem to care if you will stay when you try to pursue, why not me?

Advice to Management

There are several employees that are "nice" and not "self-promoters", try seeking them out and helping them out.

"Good training place for aspiring scientist"

Pros

Many cool projects. The CEO is very respected within the field.

Cons

People don't seem to like their job. Lots of disgruntled, over-qualified RA.

"Needs management overhaul"

Current Employee - Upper Level Scientist
    Current Employee - Upper Level Scientist

I have been working at FivePrime Therapeutics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some people really care and will do everything they can to help you.

Cons

Not sure how fake the previous review is, but I'll say extremely fake. Clean and spacious work environment? Gym? You mean our cube farm (which is clean) and our fitness "center" which is an old storage room with a stepper and a treadmill? Company Outings? Our one summer event and our lame holiday party? There is a definite atmosphere of favoritism. This is a small enough company that everyone knows who isn't pulling their weight or who is having a tantrum, but no one ever does anything about it.

Advice to Management

Fresh blood. Fresh blood! We need honesty from our leadership. We need a new CEO that can articulate what we are doing. Please take into account that you don't know everything about our work environment and coworkers, and listen to the worker bees. We make the place run. You don't. You really don't. I'm so very tired of hanging on to see us get to the next level when I see poor decisions pushing us back down into the mud.

11. "Awesome and friendly work environment"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at FivePrime Therapeutics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean spacious work environment, tea & snacks, company outings, gym, personal computer to use during down time, and friendly overhead and staff

Cons

there is nothing bad I can say about the company

Advice to Management

Keep it up!