Flagstaff Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William T. Bradel

1. "Hourly"

I have been working at Flagstaff Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place for opportunity as the turnover is so high you can rapidly progress.

Cons

Very poor leadership from the top down. Entire hospital is affected by it.

Advice to Management

Hire great leaders, instead of leaders only interested in their bottom line and helping those they happen to be friends with. Favoritism is corroding the morale.

2. "Patient care"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Flagstaff, AZ

Pros

The staff members work as a team

Cons

The new management has change so many policies, not beneficial to their patients. Money is the driving factor for lack of patient care, safety amd interest.

"FMC OR"

Former Employee - Surgical Tech in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Surgical Tech in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Flagstaff Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

This was one if the best places I've worked. I loved the management, the people. The wasn't great but we eventually got raises and my pay was stellar, more money then I've ever made.

Cons

I can't think of a single con about the hospital. In Flagstaff if you're single there isn't a whole lot of options. Other than that, the town's great, and the hospital is amazing. I often think about moving back.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

5. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Therapist
    Former Employee - Therapist

I worked at Flagstaff Medical Center full-time

Pros

Saw more exciting things/trauma than would normally be seen in hospital this size.
    People were friendly for the most part.
    Nice team atmosphere

Cons

Pay was not that great compared to other areas in the state because no competition in town.

6. "Lacking security on the job"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Flagstaff Medical Center full-time

Pros

The community has a lot to offer great climate food activity beautiful scenery and close to Grand Canyon and quick get always to the city while getting out of rat race and crowds

Cons

Gossip, unprofessional leadership fueled on egos disorganization crisis management and lack of foresight. Cliques etc don't look for an honest ability to achieve your career track goals here

Advice to Management

Apply what you learned in management school be professional and objective Stop utilizing the gossip chain to get information stop worrying about your employees personal lives and run the company Your clique might be fun but are they really talented for leadership? Plan ahead most of your crises were predictable and a large amount preventable with a little foresight planning and skilled action.

7. "I learned to make many different types of food pertaining to diets, maintaining the appealing quality of the food."

Current Employee - Nutrition Aid in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Nutrition Aid in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at Flagstaff Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people the environment and the trust they put into me to do an excellent job. Everyone is helpful and kind.

Cons

My mother recently passed away and it's a hospital. It's very hard emotionally for me to be there and Martian a positive mentality.

Advice to Management

None

8. "Work"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at Flagstaff Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great teamwork between employees, departments work well together, wonderful doctors.

Cons

Pay and benefits are well below standard, raises are small. Managment can be aloof to problems.

9. "An Ok place to get experience."

Pros

A great place to live and work.

Cons

Focus is on financials, from my limited perspective. They do not take care of employees.

10. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Flagstaff Medical Center full-time

Pros

My manager works hard to accomodate my requested schedule. Night shift differential is nice, benefits are affordable (my insurance is actually paid for after incentives). Happy work environment, good patient to staff ratio for nurses (5:1). Good educational program

Cons

Upper management changes quite often and when these changes occur, usually staff feels the affect of it. Small merit increases. High amount of ETOH patients to deal with, which can wear on the nurses.
    Constant wonder about re-direction of management and changes to staffing- some departments always seem worried about losing their jobs bc of "budget cuts". This can be stressful. Too many traveler RNs...which makes core staff have to work harder.

Advice to Management

Stop making so many upper management changes. Instead of spending so much money on pointless marketing, put that money towards merit increases and incentives for your staff. Remember that your nurses and techs are what keep the hospital safe and running- we are your bottom line- treat your staff right, and they will remain loyal.

"RN"

Current Employee - Nurse in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Nurse in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at Flagstaff Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place for outdoor activities small town good restaurants has nice equipment and modern short drive to work. Weather is great

Cons

Miserable culture very cliquish lots of grumbling amongst employees lack of trust very few feel truly secure in their positions and no other jobs locally to compete so many stay despite unhappiness. Managers are unprofessional and gossipy

Advice to Management

Stop trying to micromanage employees and relying on crisis management rather look up and see the big picture. Even a line hospital in a relatively small town can have a professional culture. But it has to come from the top down