Flagstaff Unified School District #1 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Michael Penca

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Went from being a para pro to a facts caregiver"

I worked at Flagstaff Unified School District #1 part-time

Pros

Being able to work with kids. Flexible hours. Holidays, weekends, school breaks, and snow days off. Gives me the experience I need to work with children. Friendly facts Staff.

Cons

Low pay and no benefits as a Facts Caregiver. I was originally a Paraprofessional for Flagstaff Unified School District. Two parapros in the class would bully me and bully others as well. I told the teacher about it and she told me it's my fault that these two para pros are bullying me. She tried to get me fired numerous times because her job was in jepoardy and needed someone to blame. She wasn't doing her job and didn't seem like she cared about her students that much. Her excuse why she would treat me this way was because "the kids come first". I'm pretty sure she was thinking selfishly " I come first". She eventually pestered HR too much that they decided to have a talk with me. I eventually got transferred over as a FACTS Caregiver and I enjoyed it a lot more. The principal and HR guy were super nice to me and knew I was a hard worker. The FACTS Staff was also nice to me and treated me with respect. So in the end it worked out to my advantage.

Advice to Management

If you feel like an employee is being bullied try to help that person instead of saying that it is their fault for being bullied. Also don't keep staff that bullies other staff. For the most part FUSD is great to work for despite there being low pay and no benefits for certain positions.

2. "Challenging, satisfying work as a Para Professional with special needs students"

Former Employee - Special Needs Parapro in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Special Needs Parapro in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Flagstaff Unified School District #1 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Every day you show up and are able to contribute to improving the quality of life for these students. The days are usually 6 hours, which I found very desirable. The work is interesting, and you really can say "never a dull moment".

Cons

When I left this job in 2014, the district was trying to only hire staff for a number of hours that would not qualify them for benefits. This resulted in very few applicants. As staff shrunk, the duties of each one of us became heavier and more overwhelming.

Advice to Management

The staff in the administrative level of the special needs department needs to be much more visible and helpful to those who are in the classrooms. We had a very bad experience with a high level person coming to visit our classroom. They had been scheduled to come observe for two hours. They came very late to the appointment and left within 10 minutes, waving at us from the doorway and saying, "You're doing such a great job." The unspoken message was "you don't need any more help in here, you guys are doing wonderful." It was very discouraging and unkind, because the appointment had been set up so that we could demonstrate the overwhelming conditions we had in the classroom and that we did need additional help.

3. "Good place to work"

I worked at Flagstaff Unified School District #1 full-time

Pros

Rewarding work, empathetic peers and management, good hours.

Cons

Mismanagement due to small budget, low pay, little benefits.

"FUSD FACTS Program"

Former Employee - FACTS Site Manager/Team Leader in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - FACTS Site Manager/Team Leader in San Diego, CA

I worked at Flagstaff Unified School District #1 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My staff and coworkers were fantastic. My immediate supervisor was helpful and very supportive. The main boss was only okay, but I did not have to work with him often so it was fine. When I really needed something, he'd help.

Cons

Not the best pay. For all that you do, you deserve to be paid more. Make sure you try and start with a higher pay because getting bumped up after that, unless you're in school, is extremely difficult.

5. "FACTS Caregiver"

Former Employee - Caregiver
    Former Employee - Caregiver

I worked at Flagstaff Unified School District #1 (More than a year)

Pros

If you love kids it is a job for you. Decent pay friendly

Cons

Hours sucked, lot of lazy people

Advice to Management

A lot of people hired were incompetent

6. "sub"

I have been working at Flagstaff Unified School District #1 part-time

Pros

The schedule is pretty flexible.

Cons

Kids these days are hard to work with.

7. "Great place for coworkers and helping kids"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrative in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrative in Flagstaff, AZ

Pros

Great place to work with break coworkers

Cons

Pay is low for jobs

8. "FACTS Program"

Pros

The kids at Cromer Elementary FACTS are incredible students and made working at FACTS a joy. The other staff members were easy to get along with and the Team Leader has great experience and input.

Cons

The training is limited and not a useful tool. The resources for activities tend to be limited and the upper management is does not treat employees well.

9. "Compensation Suggests Volunteer instead of Employee"

Former Employee - 9-12 Teacher
    Former Employee - 9-12 Teacher

I worked at Flagstaff Unified School District #1 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Many of the teachers care about the students. The teachers that really care about their jobs work hard enough to carry the district.

Cons

-Don't expect a career at FUSD. Consider any work for FUSD as pro bono.

-There is microscopic compensation and miserable benefits. Your salary should be enough for you to live in Flagstaff if you rent a room. Forget being a family bread winner. If you would like to extend benefits to your entire family, kiss half of your paycheck goodbye.

-When I left, I was making about $1400/month on the 10-month pay scale after benefits and taxes were removed. Not enough to support our family of 4.

Advice to Management

Pay your teachers. The administrators (at the school and district levels) make too much money, an inequitable amount. I should not need to have a spouse that works at Gore to be able to afford to live in Flagstaff and have decent health insurance.

10. "Flagstaff High School"

Former Employee - Teacher in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Teacher in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Flagstaff Unified School District #1 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The administration is serious about consequences for bad student behavior. The school climate is great.

Cons

The pay is way too low, Flagstaff is an expensive place to live.

Advice to Management

Never stop telling the school board and the community that low pay will make it hard to retain good teachers.