Flagstar Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Flagstar Bank President & CEO Alessandro P. DiNello
Alessandro P. DiNello

Pros
  • Several good people there, but hurt through severe silos, political playing and very large turnover (in 13 reviews)

• Great co-workers, they are trying to turn it around and increase morale (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management micromanages to the extreme (in 11 reviews)

• There is little room for advancement and the leadership is constantly changing goals (in 5 reviews)

1. "FSR"

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice staff in my branch

Cons

They are constantly changing goals and expectation midstream. They set unrealistic goals and pit branches against each other..

Advice to Management

There is a high level of favoritism. Management is out of touch with Branch locations and possible goal attainment. The Company is not equipped to handle true Business Banking and that should not be offered. They are not equipped to offer a complete Business Banking experience to Business customers; It has gotten a bit better since our District Manager moved to another District. He showed extreme favoritism and was more worried about his insensitive then any other employee. He was a bit dishonest.

"You will never advance unless your "friends " with management"

Former Employee - Mortgage Closer in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Mortgage Closer in Troy, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits package and Paid time off

Cons

No room for advancement. Managers are in a clique and take more smoke breaks than actually work.

Advice to Management

No matter what advice you give, they won't listen

"Accountant"

Former Contractor - Accountant in Waterford, MI
    Former Contractor - Accountant in Waterford, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bank as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Location was great. Nice campus. Co-workers were nice. Able to move around within the company. Located close to the freeway.

Cons

It was high school all over again. Cools kids against the not so cool kids. Supervisors were not leaders. Was bored half the time.

5. "Don't waste your time applying"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

"Original Senior Management" cared about their employees. Great place to work when they were around. When the private equity firm (MP) came in, everything changed, cut throat, and only cares about bottom line. Long time employees were/are no longer an asset unless you sell your soul to the devil. Constant turn over of senior management and a lot of lip service. Fake managers/senior management. HR department sucks, they have been brainwashed by CEO/Sr. Mngmt.

Cons

Decent Work/Family balance. Good benefits and vacation time.

6. "Worst employer"

Pros

Sandro has done a good job and wants this company to succeed, the problem is underneath him.

Cons

The retail side of the company is ran by bullies imposing ideas on how to sell more without excuses. These same ideas change periodically not giving the company clear direction. There is no support, just demands. The turnover is extremely high as they don't really care for their employees.

7. "work life"

Former Employee - Accountant in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Accountant in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bank (More than 5 years)

Pros

had great co-workers - team players

Cons

mngt has too much back stabbing

8. "Not a great place to work"

I worked at Flagstar Bank full-time

Pros

Offered bonuses based on performance

Cons

Call center was unorganized and policies were unreasonable.

"Relationship Banker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you get lucky you will have good peers.

Cons

Pay is below industry average. Retail they are pushing staff to become more and more aggressive to the point of angering customers. Retail is definately understaffed to the point of only having two employees run the branch all day with no break or lunch, It happened so much I consulted an attorney to see if it was legal. There own person from Corp. Security department said it was unsafe.

Advice to Management

I was a top performer and I finally got out! Many other top employees cant wait to get out but still tough job market. What sense does it make to have a revolving door of employees? Flagstar has poor rep. With employees at other financial institutions

10. "Stay away"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not very strict about goals

Cons

Doesn't promote good employees, promises positions and the position disappear with no explanations.

Advice to Management

Change all your human resources team.

"loan review analyst"

I worked at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice safe area to work in, Nice building, some departments allow you to cross train. Diverse group of employee's.

Cons

Have been going thru lots of upper management changes over the last few years. Company tends to hire a lot and twice a year go through big lay offs. Working for them as many years as I did I can say the management has more closed door meetings and they are not very transparent to their employees. You are working in a cubical world where it's frowned on to speak to your team members. The group I was in took away our desk phones because we had no reason to call anyone outside the building. They put phones at the end of the row for us to talk to the IT dept if we had computer problems. Like we were 3 year olds not to be trusted. You have to account for every minute of your 7.5 hour day (450 minutes) . If you can't then you will fail to meet expecting on your annual review
    Pay is also on the lower end of the scale in the industry.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they are human not machines. Come out of your offices more, many of you hide in there. If you want us to work over time how about if you stay late with us. Management who have been with the company 10 plus years seem to think they are un touchable and above the little people.
    Sadly, I think the CEO Mr. DInello took on a sinking ship that prior management ran into the ground and unless he gets personally involved and meets with the "little" people nothing will change and they will be taken over by another company.