Flagstar Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Flagstar Bank Reviews

Updated June 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Really appreciate the work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Several good people there, but hurt through severe silos, political playing and very large turnover (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management micromanages to the extreme (in 12 reviews)

• There is little room for advancement and the leadership is constantly changing goals (in 5 reviews)

"Getting better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Pros

Beginning too listen to an show interest in retaining employees. This has been a long time coming but some stability is taking shape. The direction of the bank is stabilizing and management is beginning to resemble leadership

Cons

too many fiefdoms. It is a fragmented sea of small minded middle managers hanging on for dear life.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the direction you are headed

"Good company very high turnover"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

The company appreciates its employees but branches can become severely overwhelmed by the loss of a single employee because of the current branch structuring.

Cons

turnover is generally very high

Advice to Management

hire more employees

3. "CSR"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Troy, MI

Pros

Fantastic fun people. Best boss I've ever had. Great pay. Great benefits. Lots of flexibility. Awesome training.

Cons

None. I loved it all.

4. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Marietta, GA

Pros

Benefits were nice and I actually had a super nice manager. (my time there was actually over in 2007 but that choice wasn't given) Anyway, a CSR here was also a teller, and given responsibility for many things besides opening accounts. I liked having all of that responsibility! When I became a float teller my pay went up $1 per hour. Best bank job I have ever had.

Cons

When I started working there the bank and my branch were brand new in Georgia, and they kinda tossed me into the job and I learned most on my own. Oh and working on Sundays (DEAD!!) sucked. I would imagine they have worked out the kinks within the 8 years I have been gone.

"Post Closing"

Current Employee - Post Closing in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Post Closing in Troy, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Immediate management is great, the are compassionate, understanding and effective. Good hours and plenty of OT if that you want it.

Cons

Uppers management makes sweeping decisions that negatively effect, customer service and employee moral. No room for advancement, no promotions, no internal transfers. If you interview for internal positions they will not call you to tell you that you didn't get the job.

Advice to Management

Provide multiple titles in each department to give employees recognition and a feeling that they are "advancing". Ensure follow up on any internal candidate interview. Confirm and take advisement on how a "sweeping" process change is going to effect the . Provide any (some) training to employees if you plan on forcing them to actively interact with customers.

6. "Great employees, loyal customers"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Birmingham, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bank part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I found most of the co workers to be helpful and great at working in a team environment. I found the (classroom) training to be useful for myself because I had never worked in a bank before. The computer system was user friendly, and the IT Dept. was always happy to help with any technical questions. Pay and benefits for a part time CSR were about right on with competitors.

Cons

I found serious security issues working in a branch by myself at times (at closing and opening). I believe some of these policies may have changed. There was never an armed security guard at the branch I worked at until our branch had a robbery. Sometimes sales goals were unrealistic depending on the foot traffic in a branch and other factors.

Advice to Management

Even though your position requires you to be out of the branch for business purposes, make time to get to know your employees and what they do on a day to day basis. Tellers, CSRs, and assistant managers are the face of the bank and sometimes managers don't see all they do.

"Good Environment, Great People"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Troy, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The management I got to work with was focused on advancing you to the next level of your career and were easy to work with. The environment was pleasant and it was easy to get along with everyone

Cons

The company was a little unstable, I survived a number of layoffs. As a result of so many layoffs, my compensation was not the best.

Advice to Management

Work on compensating closer to what other companies offer.

8. "I have seen management try to stop employees from advancing their career. Once you are in a position, you are stuck."

Current Employee - Mortgage Servicing in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Mortgage Servicing in Troy, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have learned a lot and the experience is great. Co workers are down to earth Lots of hard workers.

Cons

Under paid, poor management. Departments can't communicate and it's like pulling teeth to get them to be on the same team even though we all work for the same company.

Advice to Management

Train your employees thoroughly. Allow them to make their own decisions. Don't treat them like children and recognize them by paying them what they are worth.

9. "Good at first.."

Former Employee - Facility Service Coordinator in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Facility Service Coordinator in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bank (More than 3 years)

Pros

Headquartered in Michigan partnering with many area companies for community appeal.
    Generous in supporting local charities with food drives donating time and money.

Cons

Growing pains due to lack of experienced and knowledgeable industry senior management.
    Multiple branch closing in the past 3 years.

"Relationship Banker"

Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bank (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, can learn a lot.

Cons

Pay not up to other banks.