Flatiron School Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Flatiron School Reviews

Updated Oct 17, 2019

3.4
Flatiron School CEO Adam Enbar (no image)
Adam Enbar
Pros
  • "Flatiron School is one of the best companies I have ever worked for(in 14 reviews)

• "(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is a scrappy start-up vibe at Flatiron School(in 13 reviews)

• "The WeWork relationship is still iffy(in 6 reviews)

1. "Great company culture"

Current Employee - Coach

I have been working at Flatiron School part-time for more than a year

Pros

great team culture; talent that is diverse in life experience

Cons

none that I can think of at this time

Flatiron School2019-07-24
  2. "Overall, a fairly positive experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Coach in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Flatiron School full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, educational team led by a goal of student success, good benefits, great manager, excellent working space, value placed on employee well-being, work with a lot of great students, great culture,

Cons

Some gaps in communication between teams, no 401k match, rapid expansion occasionally valued over maintaining quality,

Advice to Management

There are a lot of cracks between product and education teams, there needs to be more communication on what goals are and clear designation of responsibility for curriculum changes.

Flatiron School2019-10-17
  3. "high autonomy, shoddily organized"

Current Employee - Lead Instructor, Web Development in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Flatiron School full-time for less than a year

Pros

There's a lot of freedom to do your job as you see fit and suggest improvements. Staff is fantastic. The fact that teaching assistants are well-paid makes them value their jobs and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

The company does not do a good job of documenting how things should be done. Strange decisions are made at the top that seem common-sense obviously the wrong way to do things. It feels like the company does not listen to people on the ground. It feels like other teams do not accept or value suggestions for small easy-to-implement quality of life improvements for internal tools or curriculum changes.

Advice to Management

Open source staff tools so staff can give back contributions.

Flatiron School2019-10-01
  4. "Good work, great team, questionable management decision making"

Current Employee - Coach

I have been working at Flatiron School full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work of helping students learn while my developing my own skills has been very rewarding. The team of people I've worked with has been phenomenal to the last person.

Cons

The only problem is that upper management decisions have been pushing people away. Almost everyone I worked with initially is gone and it hasn't even been 4 months.

Flatiron School2019-10-11

"Fantastic mission and values, rapid growth, significant growing pains"

Former Employee - Lead Instructor

I worked at Flatiron School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Transforming the lives of students is huge! You're part of WeWork, so there's cold brew and kombucha and fruit water and lots of capital for growth. You get to work with truly amazing students and absolutely spectacular co-workers.

Cons

The curriculum and LMS need a lot of work, but tickets reporting bugs or inaccuracies are not attended to. If you're not in NYC, you are not involved in top-down decisions. You're part of WeWork, so your fate is forever bound to the fate of WeWork.

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback from students and instructors. Support local campus teams.

Flatiron School2019-09-16
  6. "Tech Coach at Flatiron helped me jumpstart my engineering career"

Former Employee - Tech Coach in New York, NY

I worked at Flatiron School part-time for less than a year

Pros

Helped solidify my learning after graduation. Gave me income while job searching. Met nice people - staff and students.

Cons

Management was messy. Schedule was inconsistent every week, and hard to change schedules. Not much a team/corporate feel. Did not see much of the real management beyond our division.

Flatiron School2019-09-19

"Uncertain future, poor leadership and not a great place to grow"

Current Employee - HQ Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Flatiron School full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The company mission is good and it genuinely helps some people change lives

Cons

- When you read other Glassdoor reviews, notice the bulk of the positive ones come from Coaching Fellows/Instructors. These individuals work at the different Flatiron campuses throughout the nation. They do not work out of the NYC headquarters. I can't speak to their experience. My comments are about working for the business/corporate side like admissions, marketing or product. - As others have pointed out, there... is no investment in people. Hyper-growth means you are hired for a very specific set of tasks. When the company needs to tackle a new problem, they will hire someone for that, instead of allowing you to grow into a more senior role. - Communication is awful - sometimes even within teams! This can be extremely frustrating since people will work towards the same goals, without collaborating. - Speaking of which: teams will rarely help each other. Very siloed. We keep talking about having a north star goal that everyone is working towards. In practice each team cares about their own metrics and doesn't want to collaborate/help others. - Poor leadership. Many people don't feel good about the direction/prioritization of projects and goals. Even if it's the correct direction, leadership doesn't do a good job communicating that to the teams. Any questioning is quickly shut down or challenged. - The parent company, WeWork, is currently going through a lot of trouble. Just Google it if you haven't heard already. They are selling off their businesses, and have "tough decisions ahead" - sounds like layoffs are coming. Flatiron School was a personal favorite of ex-CEO Adam Neumann, who was forced to step down. Unclear whether WeWork will continue to invest in this side business as it looks to turn around its image/become profitable. - Turnover has been surprisingly low, but that's probably going to change soon. A bunch of employees left in the last month. Won't be surprised if that becomes more frequent.

Advice to Management

You need to evaluate everything from the ground up.

Flatiron School2019-10-02

"Decent first job after a bootcamp"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Coach in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Flatiron School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Time to work on personal projects, reinforce skills and learn new ones, great culture, diverse and accepting

Cons

as a start up it is very reactionary in the way it makes decisions

Flatiron School2019-09-10

"Not invested in employee success"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Coach in Seattle, WA

I worked at Flatiron School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Generally supportive of LGBTQ and POC employees Great mission Fulfilling work Flatiron is generally a place where you can feel good about the work that you do and feel like you are making a difference in certain peoples' lives

Cons

Very disorganized "High growth organization" used to justify bad decisions and shrug off responsibilities Complete lack of programs for employee growth and vertical mobility Hard work rarely recognized in any meaningful fashion Tend to take advantage of newly graduated students with low-ball offers Criticism of management is viewed as unprofessional Concerns, especially ethical concerns, are not... addressed There is a lack of personal and professional development opportunities, despite the concern being raised to management consistently by several employees. Management has a tendency to over-promise on what they can deliver, and then not follow through on any aspect of the promise. Flatiron prides itself on giving individuals from a diverse background a path into the tech industry, then does not listen to the ethical concerns of a trans POC who graduated from their program, earned a job as a coach on campus, helped open a campus, and has been with the company for over 9 months.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees Support your employees' growth Follow through on promises Take feedback seriously Deliver feedback upwards *Pay your employees what they deserve and are owed*

Flatiron School2019-09-25
  10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Technical Coaching Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Flatiron School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Community atmosphere is amazing. Always a good time at Flatiron.

Cons

Nothing really negative I can say about the company.

Flatiron School2019-07-14