FleishmanHillard Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
FleishmanHillard President and CEO John Saunders
John Saunders

Pros
  • Get to work with big-name clients in both the private and public sector (in 12 reviews)

• Great people, working environment and an amazing place to grow (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is difficult to achieve in many practice groups, and workloads can disproportionately skew above 50 (in 38 reviews)

• long hours but that's standard in PR (in 35 reviews)

"The worst experience"

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time

Pros

The younger staff is fantastic and eager to learn.

Cons

The senior management team is the worst I have ever experienced. They repeatedly stated that they are smarter than any of their clients and would gossip about and make fun of every other person in the office, including the junior staff. Colleagues were often pitted against each other. I don't mind working long hours, but working in an environment where the senior management team acts like "mean girls" is just not healthy. Not only would I not recommend them to a friend looking for a job, I wouldn't hire them as my agency or recommend them to my friends looking for an agency. There are MUCH better agencies out there.

Advice to Management

Treating people with respect goes a long way in establishing a good culture. Try putting someone with broad experience in charge - not someone who has only ever worked for FH. Stop saying you are smarter than your clients - your best employees will see right through that, leave the agency and then never hire you on. It's just a bad business practice.

2. "Fellow"

Former Employee - Fellow in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Fellow in Chicago, IL

I worked at FleishmanHillard (Less than a year)

Pros

Agency feel, good location, fun at first

Cons

Very minimal control over work and workload, minimum office culture, lots of turnover, generic work, average employees, does not encourage room for creativity-- very much a "we've done it this way, with this template, lets leave it that way." Made PR feel like admin work. I almost completely changed career paths until I went to the agency I am with today.

Advice to Management

Create a larger difference between fellows and interns.

"Poor Communication"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Detroit, MI

I worked at FleishmanHillard (Less than a year)

Pros

Great building location. The One Detroit Center is in the heart of Detroit.

Cons

you are only worth what you are billing, time entry (billing what you are doing every 25 minutes) is really inefficient and their way of policing you. I had terrible managers. there was poor communication. There is no work culture. The office is filled with cliques and it's ineffective for cross-brand communication.

Advice to Management

Learn how to effectively communicate. My director was terrible and didn't know how to speak to her co-workers effectively. Her way of communicating was to raise her voice as if she were a parent.

5. "Disrespectful SLT (Senior Leadership)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The snack cart on Thursdays!

Cons

Was told my job would be one thing and ended up being additional duties not discussed. HR claims they talked about it, however was not the case. Presidents in Domestic States needs to gain some time of management skills, he is very rude, disrespectful and does not know how to treat or manage his employees. Wasted short lived played to work!

Advice to Management

Get some trying....you all need it!

"A toxic mess!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Big name clients
    - Snacks on Thursdays
    - Free frozen turkey or cheesecake for Christmas

Cons

- Some of the worst leadership you will ever encounter in your career. If you enjoy being pandered to and treated like you are a child, this is the place for you
    - A company culture dominated by the 55+ crowd. While a lot of them are very sweet people this is not a formula for the future.
    - Accounts are horribly mismanaged leading to lots of turnover. Everybody here is in it for themselves and will throw you under the bus the first chance they get so that their department can get a dollar more in budget.
    - I've witnessed people getting bullied into quitting. Senior management couldn't care less.
    - My manager would ask me to talk trash about other employees in private
    - The disfunction here makes it impossible for them to get pretty much anything done
    - The dog and pony show they roll out to try and attract new business is sickening.

"Great opportunity followed by a knife in the back."

Former Employee - Staffer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Staffer in Chicago, IL

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New chairs; view of park; free coffee...that's about it...I'd write more but I can't think of anything positive to say.

Cons

Hard to respect a leadership team that lies and is only interested in ensuring their own jobs are secure. Turnover in office a clear example of office dysfunction.

Advice to Management

Try honesty once in awhile. PR people know what BS smells like.

"toxic"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time

Pros

Nothing positive about this place or the environment

Cons

Toxic environment.
    Bullying atmosphere
    Horrible place to work constantly bullied
    Feels like high school all over again

Advice to Management

The CEO wasn't the problem, it is all the SVPs and VPs
    treat your employees the way you make them treat clients

"Financial Liaison"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

A few good people in the group.

Cons

Management is awful. There is zero training because they're so short staffed no one has time to train new employees. Turnover is up to 8 people in a 12 team liaison group for 2015. There is no team with this group. You feel like its everyone for themselves because people throw you under the bus to make them look better. It really isn't a good atmosphere and people have negative attitudes due to unrealistic deadlines. I would not recommend this job to anyone.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and act like you care.

"Awful - demoralizing place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Well regarded reputation within the global PR space, and junior staff that sticks together and supports each other - that is literally it.

Cons

No transparency - management doesn't care about you, they only care about money in their pockets. Promote people who are utterly awful, horrible communicators only because they kiss up. People in the NYC office are genuinely miserable, and complain among one another about everything. Senior management talks bad about clients.

Advice to Management

You need to learn to value true, great talent. Pay more attention to mid-levels who treat their juniors poorly - and closely examine some group leads: most do not bond with or nourish relationships with team members.

"If you care about your mental health, don't work here"

Former Employee - Managing Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Managing Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

World class clients, big projects, big budgets, some exceptionally smart people.

Cons

People are robots that have 0 regard for human life, work life balance doesn't exist and turnover is horrific. They expect client service to me at the health of their employees. Most people that leave end up needing years of therapy to recover from FH. Super high pressure environment with type A's trying to undercut each other. Typical to have people that have had cancer and brag about not missing a day of work.

Advice to Management

Think about what kind of culture you are fostering and the talent you are losing. The turn over is horrific and you put your employees health last.