FleishmanHillard Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
FleishmanHillard President and CEO John Saunders
John Saunders

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Smart, talented coworkers and big-name clients (in 22 reviews)

• Great finance internship program where you will definitely learn a lot (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge if you don't manage it well (in 45 reviews)

• Long hours on some campaigns/clients (in 43 reviews)

"Low Pay, Long Hours, Outdated Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

FH employs some of the best people I have ever worked with. Particularly the junior staff. Some solid top management as well. Some.

Depending on your role, you get opportunities to work with other offices.

Huge range of clients in all sizes and practices.

A good name to have on your resume.

Cons

Dismal, pathetic pay. Especially for those who start out young/as interns. Raises are not aligned with promotions. You can be promoted many times and still not see a significant compensation increase but your rate increases of course.

Work/life balance is a joke. Burnout culture reigns supreme, as we are just numbers.

As a result of all this, high turnover, especially with junior staff and mid-level people. (There are lots of lifers, though).

Positions are not replaced. Teams drastically shrink but workload remains the same.

Being part of a global network is not as accessible at it would seem. Offices all operate on different policies. Some offices are much more conservative.

Headquarters feels the most dated of all the offices and the least progressive.

Haven't had a lot of major wins lately but people are still overloaded. Yet you hear rumblings that we aren't doing well. So morale is extra low.

Top management lies.

Advice to Management

See your employees as more than a billable number. Make sure all offices are on board with functioning as a global network. Update your technology. Pay your talent what is deserved so great people don't have 1 foot out the door. Then you might win more...

2. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With all of the cons I stated, I would work there again because you will appreciate every other job you have, afterwards. If you can survive at Fleishman-Hillard, you can survive anywhere.

Cons

Work-life balance is non-existent. Office politics is off the charts. Titles are purposely misleading, and mean absolutely nothing. A Senior Vice President at Fleishman-Hillard, in most cases, is the same as a Manager at any other company.

Advice to Management

Be truthful to your employees. Quit with the internal "spin" campaigns.

3. "Great Launch Pad"

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time

Pros

Great name recognition. It's a good company for entry level employees. Lots of room for growth.

Cons

They work you to the bone. High turnover, especially upper management.

FleishmanHillard Response

Aug 25, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We take pride in ensuring that our people are given the tools necessary to grow and develop at all levels of our organization. I'd love to speak with you more on your... More

"Finance/Accounting"

Former Employee - Finance/Accounting in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Finance/Accounting in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Skills learned were valuable and met/worked with some great people. In the beginning, was a great company to be a part of and proud of and one I'd recommend. From a PR perspective, probably a decent company to work for, but not for an accounting/finance professional.

Cons

Not a supportive, professional culture. Recognition and/or promotion/opportunity for employees was not a fair process but very subjective and at the whim of only a few managers discretion. Hours/responsibilities amongst the mid-level employees was off-balance and managers in many groups were definitely not team players. Certain managers took credit for things their team had done, leveraging to get ahead. HR was not a place to go for assistance/advice. There was no confidentiality whatsoever and in some cases nothing was done to provide useful solutions. Other things that should have occurred as a closed door communication were said out in the open (ie personnel issues, salary info, etc). At times, certain employees were allowed to act wholly unprofessionally and somewhat abusively, yelling, slamming doors and using inappropriate language. Dedicated long-term employees even found themselves leaving after multiple years of hard work and service without so much as a goodbye or thank you. Treatment of employees is very inconsistent, even down to the little things like saying hello. That goes a long way for a lot of people.

Advice to Management

My experience working with folks outside of the accounting group was quite positive. I was treated respectfully and as a valued team player. I learned from them and feel they learned from me. Advice would be to treat everyone equally and respectfully, and realize that everyone has something to offer, but it's the managers job to help shape, encourage, lead and be an example. Fitting people into the mold you've created is not as good as creating a new and better mold.

FleishmanHillard Response

Jul 21, 2017

Thank you for providing feedback, and I’m sorry you had a disappointing experience. We work to provide an environment where our employees in every group and at all levels feel they’re valued, treated... More

5. "Inconsistent Feedback and Short Internship"

Former Intern - Graphic Design Intern in Sacramento, CA
    Former Intern - Graphic Design Intern in Sacramento, CA

I worked at FleishmanHillard as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

• Really friendly people, friendly workplace
    • Enjoyable work

Cons

• Inconsistent feedback: I was praised for my work most of the time I was there and then let go after two months. They cited my work abilities but it was the only time I received criticism in the entire time I was there

• Internship was to last for 6 months but was ended after 2

Advice to Management

• Provide better and more honest feedback

"Great place to start, but not a great place to stay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time

Pros

- Get to work with big-name clients in both the private and public sector
    - No one is micro-managed
    - Nice office space, good location
    - Get to work with people all over the world

Cons

- Upper management treats junior level employees like administrative assistants
    - Middle level employees are completely overworked, and most of senior management is inept
    - Massive amounts of people being fired and quitting in the past 6 months
    - Senior leadership only cares about the Public Affairs practice and turns a blind eye to everyone else
    - Terrible company culture and no incentives for employees to do well or enjoy their jobs
    - Promotions and bonuses are completely mismanaged
    - Terrible inter-company communication

Advice to Management

- Do your own printing, pick up your own lunch, schedule your own meetings, save your own documents - it's insulting to be asked to do something that you could easily do yourself
    - Stop treating junior level staff like your personal assistants - it prevents them from growing professionally, and they will all leave

7. "In Agreement with Other Former FH Houston Interns"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at FleishmanHillard as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Learned a ton
    - Got to work on variety of projects/clients
    - Strict rules really do build self discipline
    - High expectations make you better your work
    - Constructive feedback provided by others
    - Great office location
    - Free parking
    - Sometimes you get free lunch
    - Office manager is nice

Cons

- Constantly high stress environment, employees very often let their own stress negatively impact the way they communicate with others
    - Interns are talked down to and questioned constantly
    - No life work balance (prepare to work through lunch and not count your hours if you're an intern)
    - TERRIBLE EMPLOYEE RETENTION RATE (had three full time employees, out of roughly 12 in the office, leave within a three month period)
    - Awful company culture. People are stuck up, cold and selfish. No one talks and they will not include you if you are not in the "inner circle"
    - People are very judgmental and unless you fit in with their perfect "FH mold" you will be quickly outcasted - basically you have to forget work / life balance and just work (some people schedule meetings on Sundays)
    - Unrealistic expectations
    - INTERNS - You are expected to do 8-10 hours worth of work per day but only allowed to clock in for 7.5 (this applies to interns only, they say not to go overtime but you will need to and they will not compensate you for it)
    - They do not write recommendations
    - Cold work environment- no one laughs (maybe on Friday afternoons)
    - They only hire internally, so unless you intern and "pay your dues" you are most likely not going to get hired even if you've worked there for a while
    - Office is very cliquey
    - A ton of micromanaging, must report every move
    - Be prepared to witness actual yelling (upper mgmt. mostly)
    - Employees and upper management complain about clients and others employees behind their backs
    - Attempts to get to know/relate to/be friendly to full time employees were not well received
    - Was told to not become friends with the other interns, as they were my competition for a job there. Was told not to mix work with friendship
    - Simply put, not a pleasant experience

Advice to Management

Excellence is key but working at FH does not have to be that serious. The status of FH is not more important than your employees - don't be fake, maybe try to make an environment that is sustainable and enjoyable to be a part of. Don't question your employee's every move and motive - maybe show them you trust them and they will surprise you. Be more transparent about intentions and promotions (upper management unprofessional regarding this). Follow through with promises (discussions about promotion). Humans are not perfect and will mess up - so its not the end of the world if your employees do.

"Vice President"

Former Employee - Vice President in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks on Thursdays. Parking in the building instead of offsite. Ping pong table. The handful of creative folks that remain.

Cons

Profit centers. Having to compete with other departments for work, being treated like a vendor by your colleagues. Creative department is not valued, or brought to the table when they should be. Not being included in projects because of your billable rate-because that rate is based on your title. Not willing to work efficiently. Lack of basic systems and processes-about 10 years behind. Thursday staff meetings are a colossal waste of time

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and and pay attention to the lost opportunities because you are unwilling to think outside the box and accept that there are different ideas.

9. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

very flexible in implementing new technology

Cons

1. not enough technology projects
    2. leadership(mostly project managers) dont want to invest in long term. they always want quick and dirty solutions which creates more work later.
    3. people dont really following any project lifecycle and dont give full attention to the minute details.
    4. marketing people are managing technical projects which is the worst.
    5. there are no bigger implementation. all projects are small and seem like for college passouts. you will never learn to work on a bigger implementation here.

"Not for Everyone"

Former Employee - Vice President in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at FleishmanHillard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people for coworkers and the chance to work on big accounts. Its a good place to gain experience and pad the resume.

Cons

FH has no sense of culture at all, you are only worth what you are billing. Of all the jobs I have had in my life, my time at FH was my least favorite.

Advice to Management

Managers need management training. Just because someone has been with the company for years and are great with clients does not mean they are effective managers.