Fletcher Building Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Adamson

1. "Free reins to make Sales decisions"

Former Employee - BDM in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - BDM in Brisbane (Australia)

I worked at Fletcher Building full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product and team work

Cons

Un structured at times but squally good

Advice to Management

Implement structure strategy to improve productivity

"An All Pervasive and Pernicious Toxic Culture Within A Fletcher Building Business Unit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at Fletcher Building (More than 3 years)

Pros

A large established business with a "perceived" good reputation amongst customers.

Cons

Disordered behaviour amongst leadership and middle management with the following behaviour traits:

-Repetitive public humiliation of staff.
    -Pathological and habitual lying to staff.
    -Isolating targeted staff from organisational resources in order to sabotage performance.
    -Machiavellianism such as back stabbing, deceit and power plays between managers.
    -Responsibility for failure not accepted by leaders, instead scapegoats are identified amongst the staff.
    -Credit taken for other staff members accomplishments by managers.
    -Threats of job loss and disciplinary action used to intimidate and silence whistle blowers.
    -Smear campaigns unleashed against targeted staff.
    -Cronic narcissism.
    -The company's health and safety regime is solely designed to protect the business from legal responsibility. They just don't care about you.
    -A severe lack of conscience and empathy.
    -Box ticking and butt covering.

These all resulted in public conflict amongst leadership, disfunctional teams (both within and between them) and high staff turnover.

The gulf between the corporate 'propaganda' culture broadcast by the leadership and the reality in the trenches for the staff is best described as an abyss of grandiosity.

Take my advice, HR is not your friend.

Advice to Management

Stop treating and suppressing the symptoms (your high staff turn over). Identify the cause of the cancer by introducing anonymous 360 degree reviews (including the review of HR team members by staff). Surgically remove the cause of the cancer: selfish, toxic and disordered managers and leaders. A good start would be within HR.

End ineffectual one way staff reviews.

"Laminex - Great brand being ruined by Fletcher Building"

Former Employee - Sales in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Sales in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Fletcher Building full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Trusted brand, market leader. Great products that are recognized as being innovative. Wonderful team of people to work with at the grass roots of the business.

Cons

Current leadership team are destroying the moral and culture of the business. Very poor salaries that are going backwards. Many staff leaving due to focus on processes rather than outcomes. Profits before people. Very greedy company now that it's run by Fletcher Building.

Advice to Management

Respect and look after your staff many of them are the touch point to your customers and if the staff are looked after and happy your customers will be too. Get of your pedistools Leadership Team. Ensure positions are filled in a timely manner and not just left for those that remain to take the extra load.

"If you don't mind purple circles and known bullying then this is company to work for"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Maddington (Australia)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Maddington (Australia)

I worked at Fletcher Building full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few beautiful long standing staff that made going to work that much easier. Customers are loyal

Cons

Managememt almost encourage bullying exclusion and targeting behaviours in order to be liked in the office. Absolutely a disgrace and the worst two managers I have even come close to working with in all my career.
    Poor system IT structure with no concept of streamlining and efficiency's I don't believe they will ever get their either.
    And don't dare take time off for personal reasons because this will just ensure u are on the outer and targeted and eventually they will find some reason even made up to let u go

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the sand senior management and do something about your in particular WA managers and the two sales support ladies who are the cause of you losing really good people because if you don't you will losw more staff that I guarantee and most likely end up with a law suit or two

5. "The corporate guys are stupid"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Corona, CA

I worked at Fletcher Building full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

DECRA brand
    Local Decra managers and ceo
    Manufacturing excellence team
    Sales people

Cons

The roof corporate group especially the human resource department.
    They just moved to one of the most expensive areas in one of the most expensive buildings.

Advice to Management

The US leaders of DECRA are the ones who instruct us, train us and inspire us. We hate these Irvine guys and our leaders don't need them. I hear rumors of our head of sales and our president getting ready to leave. The president helped me find a job as soon as he heard I needed to move for my wife's job. He's a good guy. He's paid for people's college from his own bank account and treats us all with the same respect. So does sales Vice President and most of the OPEx group.
    Patricia in hr is nice and helpful.

"Manager"

I have been working at Fletcher Building full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees passionate people. Starting to understand the power of divisions working together, collaborating with each
    The pay well.

Cons

The current culture is very poor. Middle management working long hours, the CE's don't seem to be too concerned. If you have lemons, allow management to move them on. The CEO hasn't quite understood the value of teamwork, 99% of his speeches is about what you (the employee) can do for him. Went through a downsizing last year and has gone too lean - being run by accountants.

Advice to Management

Really listen to what's been said in the employee surveys and make the needed HR investments., invest in quality employees.

"Great. FB helps with your personal brand."

Current Employee - General Manager in Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at Fletcher Building full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you have the trust or belief of your senior management, then you can do what you want. I have been very fortunate through careful planning of my career and my bosses, to get myself a very senior role where I can restructure a company and build my personal brand. Training is great. I have used that to my benefit. After several GM roles in NZ, I have now outgrown that country and am busy restructuring an Australian distribution business. This is great for my career.

Cons

The CEO is inconsistent. We don't seem to be very clear as to whet we are trying to achieve. i may be having a bad month, but it feels like we are in a state of constant change.

Advice to Management

Be consistent. Stop employing friends to key positions and listen to the GM's.

Fletcher Building Response

Feb 1, 2015 – GM HR Systems & Recruitment

The company believes this review has been posted by an individual impersonating a senior manager in our company. Please consider this view when reading this post. S.Spence, GM HR Systems ... More

"Fletcher Building Shared Services"

Current Employee - DRA in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - DRA in Auckland (New Zealand)

Pros

Good place to advance your careers. Pays for further studies

Cons

Poor peoples skill demonstarted in every department.
    Shareholders are treated more important than employees

Advice to Management

Please take care of your biggest asset- your people

"Imperious culture"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at Fletcher Building full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are passionate about what they do and there are still have many long-serving staff. Helps working for one of the biggest brands / companies in the country - does open doors. Compensation was very competitive.

Cons

Very much a Top Down management style, it's all about what you can do for "the man". High turn-over of staff in past 3yrs, including some of the "chosen ones". Appears the CEO is in it for himself and his cronies, and not at all concerned about the mess he leaves behind. It's all about his next $10-$15m role. There's a reasons people are leaving.

Advice to Management

Think about the big picture, who will be left once the Big Guy moves on? What is the succession plan and who's on your bench? Employee IP does matter, back up the promises from the employee surveys - at least some of them.

"Micro managing environment"

Current Employee - Sales Analyst in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Sales Analyst in Auckland (New Zealand)

I have been working at Fletcher Building full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, free parking, near shopping centre

Cons

micro managing, boss expect you to working 24/7, politics, very poor engagement, disaster decision for me to move here.

Advice to Management

Please, please, please do something to make your company less bullying and most of all encourage work life balance! we're not machine!!