Fletcher Music Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

John Riley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "It was Okay"

I worked at Fletcher Music Centers full-time

Pros

Good hours, it was music related, customers were super sweet, we had potlucks a lot, I got to fool around on the instruments a lot

Cons

Lots of pressure to sell, company cares more about sales than music, the manager at my particular location was hard to get along with, compensation was a little low

Advice to Management

Enjoy the music a little more, think about how that will send a message to the customers, start caring more about the music and the sales will come

2. "Don't believe the reviews!"

I have been working at Fletcher Music Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Management is very caring about their employees & I have felt like family only being here for a few months.

Cons

Industry has suffered over the last few years as has many but company is doing just fine. Too many times disgruntled employees post hostile reviews of the company when they decide to quit or are asked to leave the company. Barely anyone leaves a job with no complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "Fletcher"

I worked at Fletcher Music Centers full-time

Pros

Learned to play on downtime
    Met some interesting customers

Cons

Cared more about sales numbers than people
    Expect you to sell unnecessary items in a dying market

Advice to Management

Start caring about your customers like your promotional material says you do. They might not know what happens behind the closed doors and fake smiles, but the employees do and suffer for not covering it.

4. "Two in review"

Current Employee - Personal Assistant in Spring Hill, FL
    Current Employee - Personal Assistant in Spring Hill, FL

I have been working at Fletcher Music Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning to play the organ is great. Helping the students/customers is my strong point. Hearing the many artists that come to the store to perform is magical.

Cons

Not employee caring in the least. Too many red flags on the mind set of the "suits" in corporate.

Advice to Management

My store manager is great. It's the corporate management that is the problem.

5. "Dying Industry"

Pros

Amazing customers---loyal senior citizens who have bought into the club --most spending their life's savings to be a Fletcher Music Centers member.

Cons

Little opportunity for growth. Dog eat dog management. Aggressive and often questionable, pressure driven sales tactics.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.

6. "Not enough communication"

Pros

Co-workers were great and helpful.

Cons

Everything is a secret so you have to guess what is coming next.

"Great company to work for if you have customers."

Current Employee - Personal Assistant in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Personal Assistant in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Fletcher Music Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really like the company, everyone is friendly including your customers. You essentially get paid to talk and play music as well as get paid to learn new music on their organs.

Cons

Low pay, you get paid minimum wage plus tiered commission. Unfortunately my market is tapped out so there are no new customers and no one left to upgrade.

Advice to Management

Raise your pay for employees, I make enough to pay my bills. I don't want to spend 40 hours a week just to pay my bills.

"Dismal"

Former Employee - Personal Assistant
    Former Employee - Personal Assistant

Pros

Customers are friendly, and coworkers were nice. Full time job for minimal wages. It's commission against a draw. So the more you get paid, the more you owe and your commission goes toward the ledger. If you don't have anything on the ledger then you get your commission

Cons

Time-off is chaotic to establish. Office routine is the same everyday. Outdated building. Not a lot of enthusiasm.

Advice to Management

Get a fresh look. And consider some real events.

9. "WHAT IS SAID is NOT at all what is happening, no chances"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/PA

I have been working at Fletcher Music Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to meet cool clients and play music, if and when not busy wasting time and efforts doing silly promo work that makes no change in profits, nd making tons of calls that bug people at home. It is losing good people and money at every turn. See unfortunate end looming near...

Cons

Where to start...
    Stress levels are SUPER high because these products are so difficult to sell; they target old people with money to spare. Their management, from the top down, is outdated and very much likes to throw more and more jobs on low wage workers. It feels like you can see that they are poorly trained to lead and like to be the TOP salespeople, as opposed to leading their sales team. Teams are a joke. The management takes all the commissionable deals, leaving the salespeople out to dry.
    LUCKY if you last a year.
    It is hostile working environment and negative meetings that waste time and resources... too many things to list

Advice to Management

Restructure, or collapse under the weight of pride

"Was once a great place to work, Now the customer base is dying off. Seriously."

Former Employee - Personal Assistant in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Assistant in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Fletcher Music Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun products: If you like making music and have any level of keyboard skills, you will be entertained at your job. Amazing clients: I have met some amazing people with amazing life stories working here. Flexible Hours: Although sales hours come with a sales job, the smaller family-style environment made getting days off easier even if you weren't a manager. Weekly pay. Good company values. Management maintained a more family style atmosphere and due to the company size, was able to spend more personal time with the front line.

Cons

Company was once booming with sales and locations in the mid 90s. However, as the culture has changed, retired seniors (the only client base) have relatively less disposable resources and different interests than home organs. Lowrey, the only company left which manufactures the home organs which Fletcher Music sells, is also downsizing and moved their production plant from Chicago, Illinois to Indonesia in 2011. Obtaining new customers was extremely difficult: I'm talking the top stores getting awards for 3-5 new customers a month. As a result of the above, company morale is down and the company's future is grim unless major change in the product offerings occur. Starting pay is a commission against draw plan with draw being minimum wage. more than half of the company makes the minimum wage and is thousands of dollars "in draw" so it is basically impossible for them to sell their way out of it. Store manager pay didn't seem to be much better from what I could tell.

Advice to Management

The big looming problem would be that the customer base is, unfortunately, dying. Perhaps exploring different offerings would be beneficial.