Flexco Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Richard A. White

1. "Work record for Flexible Steel Lacing"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Plainfield, IL
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Plainfield, IL

I have been working at Flexco (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, stable position, convenient location, easy work day, relaxed atmosphere, opportunity to advance, fair management, some education allowance, training

Cons

Loud, dirty, sometimes don;t communicate well with employees

2. "Engineering Change Coordinator III"

Current Employee - Engineering Change Coordinator III in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Engineering Change Coordinator III in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Flexco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture/people. Decent compensation package

Cons

No up movement at this time.

3. "Great company"

Current Employee - Associate in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Flexco (More than 10 years)

Pros

Care for customers, care for employees and care for doing business the right way

Cons

family atmosphere can be challenging for some

Advice to Management

keep doing the right things

5. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Flexco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome company to work at!

Cons

I do not have any

"Old School Company (not all bad but not all good)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Flexco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very competitive compensation. Great Benefits (pension!) Current CEO is a good guy to have at the top, very approachable and decent human being.

Good place if you want an easy job and meet some decent people.

Not a typical corporate world place where everyone is only looking out for themselves.

Cons

Most managers have been there a very long time and have never worked anywhere else. Have no idea there are better ways to do things since they've only ever done it the "Flexco" way.

Not a challenging work environment. No accountability for most people.

At my weekly meetings, my manager likes to discuss my work projects for 10 minutes and then about themselves and their family for next 50 minutes every week. Manager wants to be my "BFF" which is great but I'm really there to do my job and get my paycheck. Wish HR would do something about it but they are pretty Laissez-faire themselves.

Lots of cliques. Most people have been there 20 plus years so if you are new it will take a long time to break in.

Very behind in technology. Need to embrace the digital age.

Aged workforce-Seems like everyone is 50 or over (I am under 50 and feel like a minority)

Advice to Management

Hire more young to mid career workers (20-40's). Train managers how to be managers or get rid of them (especially my manager ;-) DG office is depressing to work at, Lisle office is a ghost town. Create better work environment for office workers.

7. "Amazing company but no formal organization"

Current Intern - Intern in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Intern - Intern in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Flexco as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Flexco is very family orientated, they want their employees to succeed and they always seem to be making decisions with their employees well-being in mind. Part of this is that their are private and don't need to answer to any shareholders/

Cons

No clear opportunity to advance or move up, most of Flexco's workforce is about to hit retirement age and there is almost no new talent at the company.

Advice to Management

None.

"Great team environment with new challenges everyday"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodridge, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodridge, IL

I have been working at Flexco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

As part of the engineering group I like the team environment the best, where open dialogue between the group helps solve the problem. In addition, no day is ever the same. As a division designing custom equipment, every project is different with unique challenges. Benefits are also great. I pay around $500/mo for 90/10 coverage from BCBSIL medical, dental and vision. Three weeks of vacation with three personal days are given up front to new professional employees, with a fourth week coming after five years. There's also a 401K with match and an awesome pension, which you are fully vested in after five years.

Cons

The organizational chart is relatively flat, which is good for knowing the higher ups in the business but can be poor for career growth as there aren't a lot of positions to move up into. They are working on a professional growth strategy (rather than managerial) but it hasn't been released yet.
    As a division that works with bulk materials (coal, grain, ores, etc...) the industry is highly dependent on economic conditions and thus capital expenditures, which can make sales like a roller coaster.

Advice to Management

Sales needs to be more accountable for revenue and sales margins, which drive profits.

"Overall I am very satisfied working at Flexco."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Flexco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is very good and the people are generally good to work with. Amount of paid vacation time is above par compared to any other company I've been at. Company is experiencing some tighter times with the reduction of coal use within the US but is continually looking at ways to diversify its product offerings and moving into new markets to grow profits and gain market share. This is a great place if you are looking to stay in one place for a long time and actually get to know the people you work with on a day to day basis. Your not just a number here like at bigger corporations.

Cons

Many employees tend to resist change as they've been doing things the same way for a long time. Although changes are happening it often takes time to get them done. This isn't the company for someone looking to climb the corporate ladder quickly. At times people are not held accountable for issues to the extent that they should be.

Advice to Management

Continue looking at ways to grow the business. Hire more young ambitious employees to help infuse the business with new ideas as the aging workforce nears retirement. I think it would be a great idea to develop a rotational development program for young professional's hired on.

10. "Best Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Business Professional - Exempt in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Business Professional - Exempt in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Flexco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, Culture, Pay and Benefits, Education ops, Flexible hours

Cons

Maybe some stale and outdated practices and some employees set in their ways due to being there so long.

Advice to Management

Get some new talent.

11. "20+ years and still loving it!"

Current Employee - Manager in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Flexco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexco has a great culture that has evolved over it's 106 year history. Servicing the customer is the top priority, while management genuinely appreciates, supports and respects employees. A highly respected brand name, a supportive and caring culture, and the opportunity to associate with passionate and dedicated employees make it an ideal workplace.

Cons

Mature industry with stable but moderate growth

Advice to Management

Keep it fun and don't lose the strong people-feeling within the culture