Flexfab Horizons International Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 16, 2017

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Douglas A. Decamp

"I really enjoyed my summer internship at Flexfab"

Former Intern - Intern in Hastings, MI
    Former Intern - Intern in Hastings, MI

I worked at Flexfab Horizons International as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely friendly employees, close-knit workplace, great hours. I learned a lot while working here. Those above me were always eager to help.

Cons

I did not experience any cons to working at Flexfab.

2. "Love This Company!"

Former Employee - Helpdesk Intern in Hastings, MI
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Intern in Hastings, MI

I worked at Flexfab Horizons International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was an intern for the Information Technology Department. This company helped start my IT career! I loved the older mentality the company had in that they seemed to treat their employees well. Happy Employees meant better production. I enjoyed my time working for the IT department and the only reason I don't still work there is that they didn't have a full time spot available for me. They seemed to have really good employee retention in the office. They are one of the few companies that I check the job boards regularly and will run back to if they have a position for me.

Cons

Well, I didn't get hired in full time and they didn't show any moves towards this otherwise I would have stuck around longer to see.

"Lack of Leadership"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Flexfab Horizons International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, benefits and a clean, safe working environment. Upper level management is present and communicates effectively, making you feel welcome. Unfortunately, they are the only ones who do.

Cons

They really tried to make this job sound like something it is not when I interviewed; laid back atmosphere, opportunity for advancement, etc. The reality is that the workplace culture is very rigid and the policies are too complex or ambiguous for most people to follow, i.e. attendance. There is way more concern for rules and punishing people than rewarding people for a job well done or developing individual talents. Management is disconnected and out of touch with the average employee and makes no effort to build a trusting working relationship. Supervisors are out for themselves and their own advancement, not the success of the other workers or the good of the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Bring in managers and supervisors with education and experience leading people. You can manage things, but people need to be led. Consider looking outside the Hastings gene pool when promoting people, especially in Grand Rapids. It would also be a good idea to hire engineers that actually know what they are doing rather than leaving key processes in the hands of inexperienced college interns. Be honest and ethical with people and they will treat you with the same respect in return.

4. "Very Interesting and definitely challenging"

Current Employee - Controls Engineer in Hastings, MI
    Current Employee - Controls Engineer in Hastings, MI

I have been working at Flexfab Horizons International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wide range of flexibility and creativity.

Cons

Sometimes the culture gets in the way of improvements. Other than that, I see no cons.

5. "Loyal, progressive,"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hastings, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hastings, MI

Pros

Management does care about their employees and their well-being. They strive to make working at Flexfab not only rewarding but enjoyable amongst the stress of any job. The company's owners also try to make a sincere difference in the community.

Cons

Sometimes when shifting in to crisis mode possibly not all avenues are explored for solution.

Advice to Management

Continue to respect your employees and they will give you 100%+

6. "Great company!"

I worked at Flexfab Horizons International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great family owned company. They take care of their employees. Great benefits package

Cons

A lot of small town mentality. While there are a lot of long term employees with a great deal of tenure it also results in silos of information.

Advice to Management

Cross training & diversification would really improve the overall functionality of the business in my opinion.

"Great"

I worked at Flexfab Horizons International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gave the freedom to learn and implement new projects. Very nice place to work as everyone is very friendly and willing to help.

Cons

Hastings city is small very the headquarters are located.