Flight Centre Travel Group Reviews

Updated May 25, 2020

Flight Centre Travel Group CEO Graham "Skroo" Turner
Graham "Skroo" Turner
Pros
  • "Unlimited annual leave, lots of travel, work hard play hard(in 60 reviews)

• "Employee benefits ranging from health and wellbeing support to financial advice and travel perks(in 56 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Great place to work and advance your career"

5.0
    Current Employee - Account Management Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Family vibe, small gap to leadership, ideas are heard, promotions from within, Work life balance, decent payout and benefits

Cons

Not enough remote opportunities in a remote industry. More global exposure and central platform needed.

Flight Centre Travel Group2019-12-06

Flight Centre Travel Group Response

December 15, 2019

Thank you for your review! We're happy to see you're living and breathing the Flight Centre's core values.

2. "FCTG"

Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company culture within brands!

Cons

Doesn't invest much into the in-office employee experience

Flight Centre Travel Group2020-05-01

"Get out"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free drinks at company parties, travel incentives

Cons

Low pay. Turnover is massive. Of the dozen people I trained with for 2 weeks in Montvale, 3 are left. Terrible culture where management back-stabs, talks poorly about one another, and have nasty attitudes. Different teams are very uncooperative with one another, and fight and bicker. I was the top sales person in my category in the USA and the pay still wasn't high enough. I don't know how people survive Back end tech is a complete disaster Much of what I did was scam old people into paying more than what they could find online because they couldn't use a computer, and scam businesses that have a ton of money and don't care much about the expenses. Dying business

Flight Centre Travel Group2019-11-13

"Run while you can"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montvale, NJ

Pros

Culture is good outside of the headquarters in Montvale NJ

Cons

Recruiting is a joke. Do not work here. No career development whatsoever, no annual raises or performance reviews & toxic work environment. Extremely high turnover company wide and especially in HR - a lot of employees fear their boss.

Flight Centre Travel Group2019-09-18

Flight Centre Travel Group Response

September 30, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Flight Centre. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us. As with all current employee reviews, we will take on board your constructive feedback. A career with Flight Centre is one filled with opportunities to progress through roles of a variety of levels and departments through some 30 odd brands - with opportunities all around the world. For those who crave personal and career development, it's here for for the taking and there's variety within the Flight Centre Travel Group to meet all tastes and goals. Our turnover rate is something we are working on and, as at November 2018, is 28%. We think that will improve as a result of the new Enterprise Bargaining Agreement that was agreed on last month, which offers a better pay structure and a range of other benefits.

"Could Have Been Great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Met some lovely co-workers who are still friends even though we've all since left FC and moved onto much greener pastures. If you like to drink, there is plenty of that at the many required post-work day (non-paid) company functions. Initially thought the travel benefits were decent, but it was nearly impossible to get vacation time off requests approved as the company blacks out much of the year--then you have your entire office fighting to take time off that doesn't overlap.

Cons

Unlike other agencies, FC will have you act as an accountant, receptionist, and sales person on top of being a travel agent. Most companies have these as separate roles. You'll easily see what should be an 8 hour workday end up being 12+ hours since they have you wearing so many hats. Computer systems are archaic (think 1980s-level) and frequently freeze or break down. The cheaply made uniforms. (On top of other things make you really feel like you're part of a cult.) Having to be dishonest with customers in order to make a livable wage--marking up fares above the public/commercial price available to anyone. Base salary is much lower than any other agency. Turnover is high since staff leave for other agencies after finding out how much they start at. For such a big company, the commission structure is very low (unless the company is receiving it on the back end and employees don't see it). To use an example, for most airlines you're lucky if they offer 5% commission. On a $500 ticket, that would be only $25. Unlike other agencies, FC actually charges the agents to print tickets--something that IS your job. So, for that $25 that the airline pays out, FC charges you around 4% in "credit card fees," so you lose $20. You would think that would leave you with $5, but then you're hit with FC's $10 ticketing fee because you're not ticketing a preferred airline. So, you now OWE FC $5 that would come out of your paycheck to issue one ticket. Yes, FC charges customers a service fee on tickets, but that also gets reduced by "credit card fees." (How else do most people pay for airline tickets?) By nickel and dime-ing its employees that they say they value so much, FC forces its agents to mark up fares in order to survive. How is it a problem? If you have a customer who has a ticket they think is, say, $800, but it's really only a $500 ticket, that can create BIG problems later on if the customer has to have changes to their ticket made by the airline. We've had customers stuck at airports because they unexpectedly had to fork over a few hundred dollars extra at the airport because their tickets were marked up. FC has already been caught doing it repeatedly in Australia and the UK and it continues to be a problem. (Just look up the various news stories and law suits on Google.) It's somewhat heartbreaking because this could have been such a great company but it's the employees who suffer for what corporate does.

Flight Centre Travel Group2019-06-21

"Travel Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing I can think of .. at least for what I was doing

Cons

Low pay and unethical practices

Flight Centre Travel Group2019-02-11
  7. "Hard to say"

2.0
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Marlborough, MA

Pros

Opportunities for growth and promotion

Cons

No raise until you are promoted

Flight Centre Travel Group2019-01-31

"A strong company and a largely positive experience"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Travel, culture, reasonably autonomous and trusted, strong consistent growth is encouraging. Broadly speaking the mission of the company is positive.

Cons

Opportunity for mentorship at middle management in the US operations seemed non-existent. Confused leisure operations, lacking commitment to digital/online. Growth beyond middle-management seemingly impossible.

Flight Centre Travel Group2018-12-13
  9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits people buzz nights

Cons

Low pay you are being just a number

Flight Centre Travel Group2018-11-15

"Love my job"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits Great co-workers Great company

Cons

This company I’m sure has some cons but I can’t think of one right now so can’t be that bad

Flight Centre Travel Group2018-09-18