Flight Centre Travel Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Flight Centre Travel Group CEO Graham "Skroo" Turner
Graham "Skroo" Turner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work hard play hard company ethos" (in 46 reviews)

• "You're rewarded for the work you put in - work hard play hard" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be challenging" (in 115 reviews)

• "hectic long hours slave to customers" (in 132 reviews)

"Love my job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits Great co-workers Great company

Cons

This company I’m sure has some cons but I can’t think of one right now so can’t be that bad

Advice to Management

I got nothing. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK TAKING CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES

"Travel Consultant"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing I can think of .. at least for what I was doing

Cons

Low pay and unethical practices

Advice to Management

Increase pay and bonus structure

"Now I know why they call it "Fright Centre""

Former Employee - Travel Agent
    Former Employee - Travel Agent

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met some great mates with whom I'm still friends with. (All of us have since left FC.)

Occasional whirlwind trips for conferences.

Cons

With all of the "work hard and you'll make great commission" talk, what they don't make clear until you actually work there is that your "commission" isn't really commission: it's marking up airline tickets and hotels. Commission is what vendors offer as incentive to sell their product. Telling customers that they have to pay hundreds of dollars more than the actual cost of something: that's not "commission." How could this create problems you ask? Say you tell a customer that their really AUD 800 ticket costs them AUD 1000. They then show up at the airport and have an issue with their flight . This involves a change and the customer goes in thinking they have 1000 worth of ticket towards the new one but in reality it's just 800. The customer then has to fork over an extra unexpected 200 that they were not aware of.

All of possible "commission" they promote: what if I were to break the news to you that you're usually just looking at 10% of the profit you make on the sale on average? (Often less.) You do all the work on the sale and building up a customer base and you only get 10% for it. Using the above example, you thought you made a AUS 200 profit on a ticket. You get 20 for the work. Actually, it will be less since FC takes a fee for the credit card the customer provided to pay for the ticket. (There goes 40 from that 200 profit... so down to 160 profit.) Then FC charges you a fee to issue the ticket. (Something that, hello: you're a travel agent, so you're supposed to do.) So, for issuing a paperless ticket your employer charges YOU 10. Now you're down to 150 profit. Since you didn't meet your ridiculous sales targets last month, you're looking at the average 10% "commission" on that now 150 profit, or 15. Yes: 15 for a few hours of work, going back and forth with a customer by phone or email as they change dates to make the fare cheaper, and the later work you have to spend with their outdated accounting software and financial reconciliation.

Whenever I would have friends or acquaintances tell me that they would like me to help them with travel plans, I would reluctantly decline, telling them "Look, if I book trips for you, it will actually COST ME money due to company fees on employees--unless you don't mind me marking up the air and hotel above what you could get it for online elsewhere."

To be honest, read this as it is all you need to know: Google "I AMA Flight Centre employee, and this is a whistleblow and serious warning to protect both customers and future job applicants" (And then look at all of the comments of agreement--no matter the country, the practices are the same.)

The glowing "I wouldn't change a thing" reviews here are HR propaganda to counteract the truthful negative reviews. I have worked in travel for 10+ years and have never seen such a revolving door of staff--most of them also experienced and moved on to other travel companies, making more money and working closer to 40 hours--instead of the 60 to 80 hours you will end up working just to break minimum wage.

The company has already been the subject of news features, lawsuits, and government investigations--and has paid fines and settlements as a result. What more proof is needed to show that the business model is not a positive one?

Advice to Management

None. If the company continues to profit by ripping off customers, resulting in major turnover of employees who don't agree with it, maybe you just should not be in business.

4. "Hard to say"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth and promotion

Cons

No raise until you are promoted

"A strong company and a largely positive experience"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Travel, culture, reasonably autonomous and trusted, strong consistent growth is encouraging. Broadly speaking the mission of the company is positive.

Cons

Opportunity for mentorship at middle management in the US operations seemed non-existent. Confused leisure operations, lacking commitment to digital/online. Growth beyond middle-management seemingly impossible.

Advice to Management

Flat structure is starting to shift, but slowly, and this will improve the outlook of new leaders looking to grow. I've always felt there is a gap in the nurturing of new and even experienced leaders to forge a path for them in FCTG. My experience with the senior leaders of the US operations is that there was a tendency to bring in experienced leaders, but they were often not culturally what I would call a good fit... often times these senior leaders gained a reputation for being unduly harsh, even ruthless, and aren't actually strong mentors who build teams through trust and empowering the right people to make decisions.

6. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits people buzz nights

Cons

Low pay you are being just a number

"Finance"

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Career progression, Autonomy, operational strategic involvement, open communication

Cons

Limited earning potential in support roles

Nov 19, 2018 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your experience of working for Flight Centre. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us. As with all current employee reviews, we will take on board your... More

"Great company but not for everyone"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Fun work environment (very college like), recognition for your success, high earning potential for those willing to put in the time, travel perks

Cons

Low base salary, mark-ups, long hours required to earn living wage, expected to work outside typical work hours for mandatory activities, college like work environment

Advice to Management

Management in Australia feels very different to management teams in other countries.

Nov 19, 2018 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to give a balanced review of your experience working at Flight Centre. We believe we have a very strong and positive culture, which is generally celebrated and has in... More

"Consultant"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you would like to have a weekday off, you are able.

Cons

Required to work on weekends

Advice to Management

A lot of corruption in higher management that trickles down to the stores. I was shocked how some of the employees talked and behaved in the workplace.

"Run as fast as you can"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

ehh work hard and get rewarded a little

Cons

first off the interview process is terrible. The lady can't answer questions well and they don't send you any good info about the company. They are terrible at managing and training. Not helpful with questions you have.

Advice to Management

Fire whoever is the hire manager, shes terrible. The management needs to step their game up.

Nov 19, 2018 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your experience of our recruitment process. It sounds like it wasn't the usual positive experience that we strive for with our candidates. Your feedback has been noted and will... More