Flight Safety Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Kenneth S. Wood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Not so bad"

Pros

They have good benefits
    Reliable work hours

Cons

The management needs to work on improving themselves

2. "IT Intern"

Pros

Exactly what will be discussed in Job Description will be allotted.
    Excellent teammates.

Cons

Limited hours of work for Interns.
    Maximum 28hrs per week.

"employer treatment"

Pros

flexible work and no direction from IT managers they do not know what they want

Cons

BAD INEFFICIENT MANAGER - they dont know what they want they hired some managers who are not familiar with what they are delivering or the line of work.

Advice to Management

Fire those inefficient managers who are not professionally qualified they do not have any IT experience at all

4. "Field Service Engineer"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Flight Safety (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits in health care and retirement. That is truly the only reason that any of us stay.

Cons

Their business model is in the ditch. Upper management continues to overlook Quality Assurance. They claim that they don't want their employees traveling more than 50% of the year but most have been on the road at least 65% of the year. They don't pay well for the amount of work that they expect and they frown on everything that is no absolutely perfect. Their turn over rate is off the charts for these very reasons....LOW pay(not up to industry standard), advancement is a joke, any little thing that you do wrong (no matter how hard you work or how much you place on quality work) is taken with extreme prejudice, and they refuse to hire more people to aid in curbing any of the fore mentioned pain points.

Advice to Management

Let the people that know the job and the work to do exactly that. Stop interfering, you are making their jobs much harder than they need to be. Don't let sales dictate your schedule. And stop agreeing to do things that you can't commit to just to make a buck. You have forced many employees to look for other work. Before you know it, you wont have anyone to do the work.

5. "Display Assembly Technician II"

Current Employee - Field Service Installation: Display Assembly Technician II in Georgetown, TX

I have been working at Flight Safety full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get to see the world and great benefits.
     Most of the people that you work with are good people and really care about you.

Cons

Little to no career advancement.
    They do not promoted from within.
    Bad work ethics are everywhere.

Advice to Management

Look at experienced personal within the company to promote instead of what looks good on paper. Sometimes people just need a chance to shine and preform.

"Flight Instructor (Vero Beach)"

Former Employee - Flight Instructor in Vero Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Flight Instructor in Vero Beach, FL

I worked at Flight Safety full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to build hours if you are willing to risk a violation from your students.
    Excellent Maintenance Crew
    Great people working there other than managment

Cons

Will overlook saftey to make a quick buck.

Push you to fly in situation that you shouldn't. Bare minimum VFR plane in IFR

Problem with a student / following company procedures....good luck getting the management personnel you need, they will push you off to someone else. Ending up in a continuous loop that you won't get paid for.

Want your CFI paid for?......get ready to pay for 6 months of rent and food for the lack of them not having enough time to train you. You will be better off staying at home and paying for your CFI and then applying.

They test the Asian students for English proficiency before they come to the Academy, yet simple instructions such as "right turn to south" seems like an impossible task. Or..... print out weather so i know what numbers you used. (nope.)

From another employee "I'm surprised you stayed this long, I have seen people leave after the second day".

Management puts on a face like they care, then will never give you time to talk to them.

They will try and get you to do a 2 year contract, for CFI, CFII and MEI. Not worth it. Airlines only care about TT and a bit of IFR time. They really want 25 multi and the rest they will do in simulators. Don't sign 2 years away. They do that because they can't keep instructors.

Advice to Management

Loved the flight safety name but this made me think twice about the company.

"Flight Safety Columbus"

Former Employee - Airplane Pilot Or Copilot in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Airplane Pilot Or Copilot in Newark, NJ

I worked at Flight Safety full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People at the Columbus facility are fantastic. management tries really hard to listen to employees concern. The center manager is top notch, will never work for a nicer guy. lots of opportunities available for career growth. The people make this center work.

Cons

As with all big companies, it can get bureaucratic. Change does not come easy. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow. It is not in their hands since we are in a heavily regulated industry.
    My manager was all about Quality Of Life, some managers have to be reminded.

Advice to Management

Be more nimble with change. it seems mostly top down and not bottom up management style.

8. "Flight Simulator technician"

Current Employee - Flight Simulator Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Flight Simulator Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Flight Safety full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee for employees and free food once in a while. This is a good place to learn the trade of a flight simulator technician. The company will give you plenthy of OJT if you are coming out of a different career field.

Cons

Unfortunately the company is very backwards for 2015. There is a strong good old boy system in place and you will not move to the next pay grade unless you are buddy's with the right people in management. The company still does about 50 % of its business on paper instead of electronically. There is active practice of public shaming if you make a mistake. If you decide to work here and I would not recommend it save every email you get. Management will try to trip you up with I have this email from 3 years ago and you made the same mistake again.

Advice to Management

Pull the company out of the past and trim the overlapping positions at the director and Vice President level. If you did this it would create a noticeable cost savings for the yearly budget numbers.

"Very poor stressful atmosphere with Hostile and inept Supervisors."

Former Employee - Instructor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Instructor in Houston, TX

I worked at Flight Safety full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good facility and simulators. Instructors are very good.

Cons

Treat their employees like trash. Constantly critical of you and not helpful at all. Poor benifits, and no retirement program. Employee moral is very low. Supervisors for the most part are less qualified than the employees. No real trriining on company policy and proceedures. Learn on your own by being admonished for mistakes.

Advice to Management

Select your midlevel management with a thought as to weather they have any people skills. Make sure that you listen to the people that they supervise. Stop the policy of placing a formal letter in employee file for any little thing. The we will get you and fire you atmosphire is very strong.

"Awful Place to work"

Former Employee - Ground School & Flight Instructor IV in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Ground School & Flight Instructor IV in Houston, TX

I worked at Flight Safety full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have nice facility and Simulators. Most of the Instructors are excellent. Management tries try to insure the clients are taken care of (WHEN IT IS CONVIENT FOR THEM) ,Free lunch once a week for clients and workers. Ins. is fair.

Cons

Most Hostile work environment I have ever been subjected to. Very negative managers with a lets get something on you attitude. Many people quit while I was there, and more after I had left. One of the reason had to leave because of stress and very poor employee moral. They do a very poor job of training their instructors how to follow their guidelines, and procedures. You are thrown to the wolves, and then written up for every possible mistake big, or small. This allows them not to not give raises, and also have a file to easily fire you. They offer No Retirement program. You are required to work many more hours than your fixed NOT HOURLY salary is basd on, and then surposedly given comp. time for this. Problem is you really never get the comp time. I left with over 100 hours of comp time. I also got no vacation one year as I was continually told they could not approve it at the times I requested as they were too busy. I got no vacation that year and was not paid for it as they told me it was my fault.

Advice to Management

They should all be able to manage people without threats and punishment. Not be so intimidating,
    but rather more helpful. The company needs people that are qualified to manage, not picked because they are bad instructors not popular with the clients and therefore not subject to much contact with the clients. Or have been there for longer time than some. I feel that the Center Level Management is the weakest part of this company. Most have not got a clue how to manage people or how to relate to them. Basically no people skills, and they really don't care.