Florida Blue Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Florida Blue Reviews

Updated February 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can get a little off kilter (in 11 reviews)

• Work load increased dramatically after "Obama-care" and despite hundreds of lay-offs (in 9 reviews)

1. "Concurrent Review Nurse at the worst place I ever worked, you can BET on that!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Florida Blue full-time

Pros

Vacation time, holidays off including christmas eve, each team is called a POD with a manager and regional medical director, case managers, TRNs, CRNs, Pharmacist, and third party companies.

Cons

First 2 weeks of start, we were up in the air, waiting to start training. Training was intense and with different roles in nursing, disorganized, taught their roles even though we would not be doing it. You still were expected to know it. Expected to pass a test that was a requirement for pharmacist, not RNs. Learned so many different systems which was useless. Trainers were too into them selves and focused on her rich self and spoke poorly of her own child which was hard for all of us. Never knew when or where we would be after lunch. Too many indians not enough chiefs once I was in the POD. Management was clueless, with no backbone, really? I was definitely surprised that the indians controlled them, they were quick to tell you what you did wrong and made it hard to want to stay and learn. Did i mention you needed to be quiet, never say anything, never give an opinion or positive thought, wait is there a fear that I may know more than a manager? Ha Maybe so, I was judged for anything said and expected to work even if i had to stay until 10PM at night, salary of course, not even as high as i have made. Sorry but I do have a life, husband and children and I would rather work 3-12 hourly shifts at a hospital than work 80 hours a week from home because you can't keep staff. Check statistics, they lost over 48% of their nurses in 2015! if i would of just listened to my friend with over 20 years of experience in this field that warned me about this company and i did not believe her, I would of NEVER bothered moving forward with the company. Great company and name but depends where you end up (PODs), so BEWARE. I have been in healthcare for almost 20 years and by far this was the worst experience in my nursing career and I learned and ran back to my old employer and welcomed back with open arms. I was getting sick to my stomach before work and during work and had to get out because that is not normal. I have worked in many areas and have great experience and nursing is hard and stressful work but this part was not necessary. Managers lied and said they had a specialty degree and don't forget, its public and guess what, person was not what they said they were, no wonder it wasn't beside their title. I would put anything I worked hard for after my RN title you bet that. This didn't break me, it showed me that unfortunately I went to the wrong team but you have no choice, you must live in the county to work in specific PODS. Why am i suppose to have all the answers for all staff when they are able to search it themselves, am i a supervisor? Maybe it would of been different because I will never know, too many nursing careers looking for good nurses wanting strong management. Thats for showing the true colors of the company, the grass was definitely not greener on the other side and i went right back to where managers cared and training was excellent. I will never leave them again, I so learned my lesson.

Advice to Management

Grow some backbone and be a leader not a follower. Know all job roles and what it entails, appreciate good staff and listen to them, don't be afraid of listening or putting your foot down for your staff, it's your job and its disappointing to staff to see that. It shows you have poor management skills and probably hired just to fill the position because you ask more questions like a new person, when you should know the information. Remember Karma will come, GOD sees all good and evil and it will backfire on management someday.

2. "Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange Park, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange Park, FL

I worked at Florida Blue (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits. The campus is nice and it a great location.

Cons

Favoritism. H.R. policIes don't apply to everyone. Management will quote policy and turn around and do just the opposite if it benefits them or someone in their clique.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism !!! Start hiring the most qualified person vs. hiring friends...happens all the time.

3. "Service Advocate"

Former Employee - Service Advocate in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Service Advocate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue (More than a year)

Pros

Flex Time
    Supportive Management
    Great Co-workers
    LGBTQIA friendly

Cons

Cross-Training opportunities minimal
    Advancement opportunities minimal

5. "Awesome"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Tampa, FL

I worked at Florida Blue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is great people and friendly

Cons

Advancements in the company is really easy if you do your job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

6. "A company that has lost its way"

Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful Jacksonville campus and close proximity to the Town Center and freeway access. Covered walkways between buildings for inclement weather. Good restaurants on campus with healthy choices. Gym and Quest Labs on site.

Cons

Core values are a joke. They are hollow and meaningless as they are not followed by executives, leadership, and employees. The tolerated employee behaviors, poor interpersonal relationships, and hidden and yet toxic work climate reflects poorly on the legacy of BlueCross BlueShield of Florida and its brand.

Advice to Management

Clean out poisonous employees at all levels and instill a true value based culture. This will not only draw the top talent that is desired, but retain them. the change from non-profit does not mean you have to give up on core values. Find a way, other companies do!

"Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Blue full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance is valued in my organization. Health benefits to employees are amazing at low premiums. The company is so large that you could literally move from area to area and make a lifelong career at the same company if you wish to do so. There is a company within the GuideWell enterprise dedicated to Innovation, which is a big differentiatior in the health plan space.

Cons

Compensation is not optimal. Political ties factor in to promotions and upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your top performers and less in carrying B and C players on the books in a time of admin reduction need. Retain top talent through compensation if it's truly something the company believes in.

8. "Senior Advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people on the floor to work with.

Cons

Management doesn't listen to employees. Communication is poor.

Advice to Management

It's the good old boy system even though they claim it isnt.

9. "Great pay"

Former Employee - Service Advocate III in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Service Advocate III in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, and opportunities to move into other positions easily

Cons

Leniency to utilize certain days to take off from work

10. "Moved cross country, less than a month."

Former Employee - Lead Developer in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Lead Developer in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

On site cafeteria is okay.

Cons

Was idle most of the time, corporate environment sucks, IT sucks horribly, more process than achievement.

Advice to Management

Don't hire someone to move across the country on their own dime for the promise of a 3-5 year project to cut their team 3 weeks in.

11. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida Blue full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Forward thinking organization. Truly embody mission. Significant opportunities exist for continuous learning. Good compensation offered and benefits. Investment in community health and partnerships is exemplary.

Cons

Limited room for advancement beyond Senior Management role in satellite offices. Opportunity to improve the consistency of job posting process to make roles available across the state. Need to expand work from home opportunities

Advice to Management

Post positions statewide to get best qualified candidates in roles that do not require face to face engagement with member, clients or providers. Also need to move forward in allowing more employees to work from home.