Florida Coastal School of Law Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Learning and Growing"

Current Employee - Director in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Director in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Coastal School of Law full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I wake up most mornings and look forward to the work day, and I attribute that to:

1. The People and Culture
    2. The Challenges
    3. The Focus on Strategy and Planning

The current team is lean, yet includes some of the most interesting, intelligent, funny, engaging and emotionally intelligent people with whom I have ever worked. All team members participate in EQ (Emotional Intelligence) workshops, and while some grumble about this, there is a palpable difference between the culture here and other places I have worked. Of course it is not perfect here; we have our struggles, things don't go as planned, decisions could have made in different/better ways, but that is true for any organization. Because we are lean, team members are given opportunities to step outside their comfort zone and tackle tasks and projects new to them - with the peace of mind that leadership supports you trying/growing/learning. I have learned so much about strategy and planning; how to take a lofty goal and break it into manageable pieces via detailed action plans.

Cons

Oddly, my main con also sits on my pros list: The Challenges. External perspectives of our school sometimes skew negative, and I think it can be demoralizing for team members to hear those negative things about our school (e.g., in the media) -- especially if they aren't true, or the whole story isn't told.

Advice to Management

Foster a 'safe' environment for team members to grow and learn without fear of reprisal. One effect of us being lean, is that many of us are wearing multiple hats, taking on new/additional tasks/projects, implementing new ideas, pushing our professional boundaries ... and it can be scary and exhausting. Our workloads are high, but if you keep us engaged with the vision of where we want to be when we get to the other side, many of us are willing to do what it takes.

There are MANY meetings, and often the same information is repeated in front of the same people. Take into account the TIME required to run reports, pull together presentations, etc. and consider if there are more effective ways of handling meetings to give team members more time in their work to produce the work products for which they are responsible.

2. "Senior Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Coastal School of Law full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Florida Coastal has a very strong culture and expectation that all team members act with emotional intelligence. Employees strongly believe in the vision and mission pillars and work together to reach optimal student outcomes.

Cons

Most law schools have downsized over the last few years. As organizations restructure, the workload can feel heavy for some. The good news is that Coastal has a strong team and people work together for common goals.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead with strong values and expectations.

"Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Colleagues very welcoming, helpful and generally just wonderful. School is very family friendly and understanding when it comes to typical working parent challenges.

Cons

Due to a financial situation with a sister school, there have been a lot of budget cuts and lay-offs and our 401K benefit has been taken away. That has lead to a lot of rumors going around about the overall stability of the school. Management says the school is fine and we won't be closing but enrollment is down and those of us that are still here are asked to take on more responsibilities without an increase in pay. There has also been no mention of when/if we will get our 401K benefit reinstated any time soon. The parent company, InfiLaw, seems to be more concerned about revenue and cutting costs, than taking care of staff, faculty and students.

Advice to Management

You created a charter, which you preach to staff, faculty and students however you don't live by it on a day-to-day basis. Hold the right people accountable for the situation we're in, not the people that work hard, for you, every day.

4. "Academic Director"

Current Employee - Academic Director in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Academic Director in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Good environment and great staff members.

Cons

Unsure of anything at this time.

"Security Officer"

I have been working at Florida Coastal School of Law full-time

Pros

Good hours, Good people, nice location

Cons

Lazy people in department, poor management, low pay, no respect, no communication between management and others who do all the work, poor decisions on management's part.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that work under you, respect everyone who works for the company (not just the ones who are in your pay grade)

"Assistant director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Coastal School of Law full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice atmosphere and dedicated coworkers

Cons

Instability. Layoffs have resulted in remaining employees taking over the job responsibilities of two or three former employees

Advice to Management

Pay current loyal employees what they are worth verses filling in with contract and temp employees who do not possess the skills or interest in the company's mission.

"review"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Growth opportunity and good atmosphere

Cons

Centralized management and benefits have been cut

Advice to Management

too much red tape

"Professor (Adjunct)"

Current Employee - Law Professor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Law Professor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Coastal School of Law (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with talented staff and great people. Very enjoyable.

Cons

The pay for any Adjunct position is minimal, at best.

"Management could be a bit better with employee relations, but overall good place to work"

Current Employee - Career Counselor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Career Counselor in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

The company provides good salaries, good benefits

Cons

The managers need more leadership training.

"I enjoy working for Florida Coastal, they are a great school to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

My supervisor is very flexible with my schedule. I am not micro managed and I get along with people there.

Cons

Sometimes upper management doesn't know how to say no to some employees, making some spending a waste of money.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Just remember that some of your staff might have some great ideas too.