Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Team oriented work place, very nice place to work"

Pros

This is a highly team oriented department, with support from all bureaus. Training and workshops are offered. Also offers compensation for advanced education.

Cons

As with most government positions, pay is low for the tasks one is expected to complete

2. "Accountant"

I worked at Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services full-time

Pros

Set work schedule. Work is consistent on a day to day basis.

Cons

Poor Management. Red Tape and bureaucracy. No room to move up the chain. You will work hard with little to no acknowledgement of your efforts

Advice to Management

Can do a better job keeping employees happy

3. "Good place for a starter state job"

Former Employee - OPS Seasonal Fruit and Vegetables Inspector in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Fruit and Vegetables Inspector is an easy position to aim for. They are looking for people with only high school diplomas to inspect agricultural commodities.

Cons

Pay is low. Hours are irregular. Unlike Career Services, if you don't work as OPS, you don't get paid. No benefits whatsoever during tenure as OPS.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job. I have no complaints about our SES supervisors.

5. "Great place to learn and get experience"

Pros

The people and the environment

Cons

The starting wages and can't negotiate

6. "Stepping stone after college"

Pros

Can take time off whenever I want. Paycheck.

Cons

No room to move up. You will have A LOT of downtime. Unfair pay. Some lab techs are getting paid more than me without a college degree. Low pay. Low pay. Low pay. Underpaid. No raises.
    Their idea of a holiday "bonus" is you cash out 12 hours of your vacation time.... No incentive to work anymore than minimum work.

Advice to Management

PAY US MORE SO WE DO OUR JOBS BETTER! Your employees at the bottom of the food chain will do the bare minimum possible because there is just no incentive. Just lost employees in my area because of this. Good luck finding younger employees while your older ones retire out.

7. "food safety specialist"

Current Employee - Food Safety Specialist in Pompano Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Food Safety Specialist in Pompano Beach, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great ongoing training at a high fda level. Good work environment. Benefits, Insurance, week ends off. Monday through Friday work schedule. Old style Pension. many days off as needed.

Cons

Take home pay. Difficult to advance in management .

Advice to Management

In special cases, those that earn it and those that don't, those that are extremely talented and those that aren't.

8. "Senior Clerk"

Former Employee - Data Processing Control Specialist in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Data Processing Control Specialist in Tallahassee, FL

Pros

I worked with the division of licensing. The work is easy and you get great state benefits. I got a discount with my apartment all because I worked for the state.

Cons

You dont really get raises. You will remain at that starting position

9. "Staff Assistant"

Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice pepole to work with, mostly.

Cons

No raises or promotions. If you want a different position, you have to apply for it like someone from the outside. No benefits for OPS positions except for basic insurance and alternative retirement. No social security for OPS.

Advice to Management

Send people to training if they ask. Honor people who don't have college. We're not stupid, just too poor for college.

10. "Chemist I"

Current Employee - Chemist I in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Chemist I in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a laid back and stable job. Great benefits and very cheap insurance choices. Retiring with the state offers many great benefits.

Cons

There's very little ways to move up in position if you're young and just starting out your career. It's a great way to get experience, but don't be surprised if you don't get a raise for years and years.

Advice to Management

Need/push for raises, please. There's no other incentive for the employees to work here besides the benefits. The pay is very low for the work we do.

11. "FDACS"

I worked at Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services full-time

Pros

My colleagues were a great group of intelligent people who worked hard to get their job done. It was a pleasure working with them. Benefits are good, but not outstanding.

Cons

Salaries are too low to keep exceptional employees hired for long. They move quickly to greener pastures. That being said, they are understanding this often happens and are happy to see employees advancing their career, even if it means having to fill the position and train a new employee.

Advice to Management

To touch on the above point, it would be great to find creative ways to add benefits other than salary increase that might help to keep qualified employees from moving on.