Florida Department of Children and Families Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Florida Department of Children and Families Secretary Mike Carroll
Mike Carroll

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "benefits/work from home/great co worker" (in 18 reviews)

• "Great co-workers and really good benefits" (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay, no room for raises or advancement" (in 24 reviews)

• "00 hr it will be worth it but unfortunately no raises in 8 years" (in 17 reviews)

1. "Senior Clerk"

Current Employee - Senior Clerk in Macclenny, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Clerk in Macclenny, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to promote
    Chance to help others

Cons

Insulting salary
    Poor management

2. "DCF Family Safety..."

Current Employee - Child Protective Investigator Supervisor in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Child Protective Investigator Supervisor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others who need the most help.

Continuous training.

Passionate coworkers who are there to make a difference.

Variety; you can never get bored with the fast paced emergency responses needed to ensure that children are safe.

Opportunity to help families get resources (trauma informed care, therapy, substance abuse treatment, batterers intervention, anger management, parenting classes, daycare and casemanagement ).

Great benefits.

Cons

Extremely long hours and no overtime pay-salary.

On call

May end up working late when not on call.

Heavy caseloads to review and provide feedback on.

Lots of dangerous family conditions that pose safety hazards to children.

High turnover of staff make for constant battle regarding training new investigators over and over.

Pay is not nearly enough for what the position requires.

High stress environment that may not be able to offer any work-life balance

Advice to Management

Hire double the number of child protective investigators that are working now. Make concerted efforts to retain staff by lowering caseloads, and increasing the salary.

Decrease the number of child protective investigators to 4 to one supervisor.

Organize each service center so that every office has enough staff to run a morning, evening and overnight, weekend shift/crew.

Listen to people who are leaving the job and make sure that the changes that are needed are implemented.

Keep up the great job with training.

Keep helping chicken and families be safe, economically stable and resilient .

3. "Investigator"

Current Employee - Investigator in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Investigator in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good job for benefits, growth potential is average.

Cons

Stressful, no overtime. any overtime hours worked, you have to flex it out.

4. "I guess"

I have been working at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time

Pros

It's full time and that's good in this economic times

Cons

They do not pay enough.

5. "Ops ESS II"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, full time, desk job

Cons

Calls never stop, micro management by supervisors, your lunch will be at a different time every day and it won’t be your choice. Sometimes as early as 11 am

6. "They don’t care about their employees. Over worked and seriously under paid."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riviera Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riviera Beach, FL

I worked at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I can’t think of any pros.

Cons

Low pay, unfair treatment, long hours, no training, unprofessional

7. "Company"

Current Employee - ESS1 in Fort Pierce, FL
    Current Employee - ESS1 in Fort Pierce, FL

Pros

Great benefits and a retirement pension. Pay is subpar and you must receive a promotion to be motivated but there seems to be room for improving.

Cons

Extreme speeds required and loads of studying

Advice to Management

Training better and give more encouraging statements to trainees. The entire company needs a raise.

"Telecommute if you can!"

Current Employee - ESS1 in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - ESS1 in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After Hurricane Irma struck the state of Florida in Sept 2017, we went into full gear. FEMA gave us the opportunity to provide food assistance for all families across the state. As a worker, I was able to travel to Belle Glade, Port St. Lucie, the BB&T Center, C.B. Smith Park, etc. It was very, very hectic and the conditions that we worked in were uncomfortable. At the BB&T Center, we were on top of the ice rink which made it very, very cold. At C.B. Smith Park, it kept raining, the A/C in the tents were too cold, had to walk in deep, wet mud, etc. Port St. Lucie had a bunch of insects. And everything was too far in Belle Glade; our hotel was about 1.5 hours from the park. But I guess it all paid off. I started working from home in 2017 (yes, you can work from home. you become eligible after working with the department for at least 1 year, and they evaluate your performance. ESS1's can work from home, ESS2's cannot. supervisors have their exceptions. they supply you with a laptop, monitors, etc.). I am still telecommuting to this day. I love the fact that I don't have to deal with morning and evening traffic, don't have to wake up 2 hours earlier to get ready to work, less gas and SunPass expenses, eat from home (less eating out expenses), don't have to face bad weather, etc. You still get your 1 hour lunch break and with all the savings, it feels as if you're making more money. And the list goes on and on. You ABSOLUTELY NEED time management with this job, as your caseload can get very, very high. Sometimes up to 200+ cases (when Hurricane Irma stuck, caseloads were between 250-400. there was a ton of overtime. everyone was at the park, not a lot of people in the office). You have to obtain a lot of knowledge about Food Assistance, Temp. Cash Assistance, and Medicaid (which is very tricky, to me at least). But you have some supervisors who are willing to help you, and some who aren't. Policies change... A LOT. E-mails flood your day, maybe 5-10 e-mails per hour. It depends on the day. They do quality assurance on the work you complete, where they only select a few cases that you approved/denied from the prior month, review, and e-mail you to make whatever corrections, if any. If you are not computer savvy, type too slow, get stressed out easily, not willing to put in the work, call out too much, not willing to learn, not able to keep up with policy, etc. ... this job is NOT for you. There are a few meetings once a month, either with the entire Admin. or just your unit (we are split into "teams," each team has their own supervisor. each team reports to one boss, a.k.a the Program Administrator). The telecommuting part is great when you're a student, have another job (which you do need to report to your supervisor), an expectant mother, already have kids, etc. Benefits are great. They offer all types of insurance, including medical, dental, life, vision as well as discounts for your home, rentals, travel, etc. When you first start off, you get 8 hours of PTO per check: 4 hours of personal/annual leave and 4 hours of sick leave. You get one "personal holiday" per year, which amounts to 8 hours. Works days are Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm (little-to-no flexibility, hours can be adjusted with exceptions, please be advised) and we are off Saturday, Sunday and holidays. Natural disasters (i.e. Hurricane Irma) also determine hours of operations.

Cons

Not a lot of men work in this particular field; there are more women. So there tends to be a lot of "office drama." This is why working from home is another good thing. Some supervisors are not willing to help you. Favoritism and good relationships get you promotions; not your work performance. So you better be sociable and likable to climb up the ladder. If you want to work from home, but have been with the agency less than 1 year, you can forget it. They will NOT consider anything less than 1 year. After you have been here for a year, they are more "lenient" with you. Yes, the turn-around rate is quite high. Four factors: (1) relationships with management is poor, (2) work-load/stress is high, (3) pay is low, and (4) a lot of seniors are retiring. Background checks are very rigorous. They consider you "lucky" to get a job offer from them.

Advice to Management

Try your hardest to increase pay, stop the office gossip (this is a professional organization), be willing to help your team if you expect to have good numbers, and reward your people. Saying "you're doing a great job!" can really go far. We feel unrecognized and not valuable enough. Hold people who are at fault ACCOUNTABLE. Just because an application/case belongs to the state and not one person should not dictate who has to make corrections when something is wrong. Because you keep doing this, it makes the person who is processing cases incorrectly CONTINUE to process cases incorrectly . And we have to keep hearing about mistakes and cases that were processed incorrectly at each building meeting because you are not addressing the people who are accountable DIRECTLY. Take notice of the people who always call out or take time off knowing that it's a heavy work day. When one person falls behind, we all fall behind. Instead of sending e-mails back-to-back about a case that wasn't completed, go in and help process cases. You are never "too" high enough to NOT help. Back at my old job, supervisors would assist on the floor. Get out from behind your desk and help. I see a lot of management people walking around the office building as if they had nothing to do.

9. "Protective Investigator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tavernier, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tavernier, FL

Pros

Flexible schedule to fit your needs.

Cons

Understaffed, overworked and unrealistic expectations.

10. "Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist"

I worked at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time

Pros

Weekends off
    Great Benefits
    Paid training

Cons

Workload
    Overworked