Florida Department of Children and Families Reviews | Glassdoor

Florida Department of Children and Families Secretary Mike Carroll
Mike Carroll

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay , management could be better" (in 27 reviews)

• "00 hr it will be worth it but unfortunately no raises in 8 years" (in 18 reviews)

1. "ESS I - Customer Call Center Agent (Career Service)"

Current Employee - ESS1 in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - ESS1 in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits is perhaps the best perk by far. You pay roughly 180 dollars for a family rate a month (90 biweekly deducted from your monthly checks). You really can’t beat that. Copays are small, usually 20 for regular doctors visits and 40 for specialists.

I will honestly say that the work environment is very professional. Supervisors come to work dressed in their best. Management does the same. Employees are greeted in the mornings usually by management or supervisors, which is really nice and inviting. There are opportunities to network, however you have to work for them and seek them out actively. This may include going into other suites and introducing yourself, definitely stepping out of your comfort zone. Simply doing your job is not enough. If you want to be seen, you have speak up.

That said, if you socialize and get yourself out there mingling, the call center becomes a welcoming environment and in some cases becomes like a family. But the key is you have to put in the work. Some reviews on here and on other job boards come from people who aren’t wholly honest about their commitment to the job. Some don’t dress for success or match the level of commitment needed to provide world class customer service. It sounds cliche but it is possible. I do it every day. But some just don’t and treat this job like a dead end job. If you treat it like a dead end job it will become that. I chose not to.

The leave time is pretty awesome. The private sector can be knit picky with that. But with the state, if you have leave time accumulated and you have proper verification, you will get the time off.

You gain a host of computer skills and experience learning policy and using government databases. Who can say they’ve done that in there career? You’re on the inside to policy changes, which is pretty cool to be honest. Also you gain, indirectly, investigative skills, learning how to discern problems and solve them efficiently.

Lastly, the higher ups are talented and skilled. They know how to problem solve quickly and try to coach their employees to do the same while on the phones. It may sound outrageous but not every call has to be a 15 minute filibuster. Some calls can be resolved quickly and under 6.5 minutes. Again, I do it on a daily basis and management teaches you how to do so and professionally.

Cons

Alright, now on to the areas for improvement. I think the call center has amazing talented people (employees and higher ups) , some with advanced degrees (i.e. MA and MBA degrees) and some with supervisory experience and a host of other skill sets. This job does not do enough however to keep them. I’m not saying higher ups don’t care about the talent that comes to work each day. I’m saying there aren’t enough opportunities to grow and develop talented individuals like the ones noted above. As a result, achievement, becomes repetitive and sometimes pointless beyond the intrinsic value of helping others for these individuals.

Certainly, if you put in your time, one could presumably move up to an ESS II (which has a host of landing spots throughout the agency), but those opportunities are not always prevalent. Also there is too much of the “next up” mentality which is based on the tenure of certain employees. I get it, if person x is here longer, person x is more deserving of the job than newbie y. However, if you have a person with the minimum years of experience and a person has an abundance of relevant experience and has the necessary educational experiences to match too, that “next up” mentality doesn’t make sense and is damaging to morale.

In the end, there are some who want to remain ESS I agents for years and there are others who want to move up and who are hungry for success. I don’t think the call center knows what to do with the latter group. The publics sector must capitalize on high skilled employees, despite them working high skill jobs that are low paying. That said, talent development and retention is a major issue for the call center, and not because the job is hard. It’s not. It’s fairly technical, yes, but once you get the hang of it, the job is quite doable.

Advice to Management

Read this review with the understanding that a person who genuinely enjoyed the call center wrote this and is not trying to be damaging in any way.

2. "Awesome place to work"

I worked at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time

Pros

Managers were wonderful, they’re very helpful and will give you a detailed job evaluation. Both one’s manager and director walked around every morning to say good morning. There are also floor walkers who assist when needed. Great benefits, Monday through Friday and sometimes you might be lucky to leave early with pay during holiday season

Cons

Very busy and fast paced. Sometimes calls are received before notes from previous call could be fully entered into system.

3. "CPI"

I have been working at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time

Pros

I love helping kids and saving lives

Cons

Can be stressful but it can be done as long as you want to work in the field

4. "Investigate abuse and neglect"

Former Employee - Asset Protection in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Asset Protection in Tampa, FL

I worked at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance benefits, job stability and retirement

Cons

Low pay and no yearly raises

5. "ESS (ACCESS)"

I have been working at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time

Pros

Work at home
    Somewhat flexible schedule

Cons

Working here has been a blessing and a nightmare all in one. I was transitioning work fields and began with the agency as an ESS1. It was a blessing to have state benefits while I figured out the direction where I wanted to go in my career. That Within 2 years I was promoted which sounds great except the job I was promoted to (ESS2) is nothing more than a scapegoat job plus you lose some of your work at home benefit negating your pay raise. If something is wrong in the ACCESS program, it’s probably the fault of the ESS2 per management.

Management is TERRIBLE. I have never met so many incompetent people in all my life. Sure, a few of them mean well but it’s very clique-ish and “good ole girl” mentality.

The work is mundane but the workload is near insanity. If you want to be micromanaged until the end of your sanity, please feel free to join up. In the few years I’ve been an employee here, that had only gotten worse. Oh and start being ok with knowing you’re NEVER good enough. No matter what you do it will never be enough and the bar will always raise. I’ve met my exceeded my transaction count every month and always exceeded standards and I’ve STILL been made to feel like I couldn’t do anything right. The second you do great at something, you’ll be doing your slower coworkers work since obviously you have time.... it’s ridiculous. This is nothing more than a sweatshop.

The pay is poor. The benefits barely make up for it. Overtime is hard to get these days. I could probably do better elsewhere but the job and staying here for the time being looks good on my resume so I see no point in leaving yet.

I’m biding my time until I can move to our family business in mid 2019 after I finish a couple courses. It’s sad because this job has SO MUCH potential to be a great place to work but there is no direction, the direction that exists is a jumbled mess, management teaches policy incorrectly and then criticizes staff for their mistakes, and the turnover rate is ridiculous. I am literally counting down the days until I can leave....

Advice to Management

They don’t care so there’s no point in answering. Management sends out surveys every so often and nothing is ever addressed.

6. "Paralegal specialist"

I have been working at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time

Pros

Health insurance and pension if you can stick it out for 8 years.

Cons

Super low pay, no pay raises, too cheap to even buy calendars for each paralegal.. care about numbers, not the kids. Absolutely to movement up.

Advice to Management

This is for management outside of the office... atleast pretend that your care about and respect those in the trenches doing the daily work.

7. "Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - ESS1 in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - ESS1 in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Children and Families (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast Paced Makes The Day Go By Fast.

Cons

Pay Isn’t That Great, But job rewards supplements that.

Advice to Management

Evaluate Opportunities For pay increases

8. "Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist"

Former Employee - Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Florida Department of Children and Families full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, work from home

Cons

Pay low, no raises. Large case loads

"Child Protective Investigator"

Former Employee - Senior Child Protective Investigator in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Child Protective Investigator in Miami, FL

Pros

Very flexible with time
    Not a 9-5
    Variety of promotional paths
    Great health dental and vision
    Great retirement package
    Work Environment

Cons

Pay

Non- bureaucratic Management (Depending on the region/county)

Your work follows you home

Stressful (Subjective)

Possible to engage with clients in the community while not at work.

Advice to Management

Push for better pay for employees at all levels.

10. "It’s an okay job"

Current Employee - ESS1
    Current Employee - ESS1

Pros

8-5, health and dental benefits

Cons

Caseload, lack of professionalism from management, high stress

Advice to Management

Re evaluate the Access program on how caseload and time management tends to bring morale and encouragement down.