Florida Department of Corrections Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gene Hatcher

Pros
  • Learn valuable security techniques great education and schooling for employees good benefits and learn valuable people skills (in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits, will send you to school for certification (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • 1-Extreme cliques 2-horrible pay 3-no raises 4-cannot get time off 5- teamwork is non-existent (in 30 reviews)

• It's not talk about but, there is still a good ole boy system (in 10 reviews)

1. "Good job!"

Former Employee - Correctional Probation Officer Trainee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Correctional Probation Officer Trainee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Florida Department of Corrections full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I only worked for the department one year. I got pregnant and couldn't finish my training. For the time I was there, I can say that I loved the every day interaction with co-workers and probationers.

Cons

If you are not sure that interacting with probationers is your thing, your mission in life, you will not be comfortable in that environment.

2. "So many people have quit in the past 6 months"

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Chipley, FL
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Chipley, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Corrections full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to speak of.

Cons

Administration regards you as less than people.
    Inmates run the institution.

Advice to Management

Take a class on management.

3. "Correctional Officer"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida Department of Corrections full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing working for Florida Department of Corrections is the 12 hours shifts.

Cons

The Department has not gotten a raise in 10ys.

Advice to Management

There is advancement within the Department.

5. "Treat Employees Like Inmates"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Department of Corrections full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits, always busy, off on weekends

Cons

poor pay without chance of raises, poor morale due to employees being treated as if they were the inmates, have to supply your own office supplies IE: pens, paper, pencils

Advice to Management

treat employees with dignity and they are important

6. "Probation officer"

Current Employee - Correctional Probation Senior Officer in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Correctional Probation Senior Officer in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Corrections full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired, work experience translates well into a modicum of other career opportunities

Cons

-Work culture-- supervisors and upper level management are indecisive, and lack knowledge of their job. Rather than address issues and try to solve problems, they will try and find an officer use as a scapegoat in almost any situation.

-Salary- This is controlled by the legislature so management really has no say. However, because the work culture/environment is also hostile it creates a lot of turnover which makes for increasing caseloads/work load for other officers and creates a vicious cycle of turnover.

Advice to Management

Survey your employees and adjust your policies to make the work schedule more flexible, and send supervisors/management to emotional intelligence and leadership training. Those who get into this department are fully aware of the salary and are making a large sacrifice as is as everyone is required to have a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree. When this is coupled with a poor work environment, poor leadership and lack of flexibility it creates the turnover which the department is experiencing. It also makes for the statistics we see today; 2/3 of employees in the Department have been hired in the last two years. This is a crisis for the department and a public safety issue. As it stands, the vast majority of people only use this job as a stepping stone and leave after 1-3 years.

"Correctional Officer"

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Raiford, FL
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Raiford, FL

Pros

Great benefits, will send you to school for certification. As long as you hang out within 6 months you will eventually go to school to achieve your certification allowing you to work other places. Which I would suggest due to the pay. The experience obtained is also valuable in the entire law enforcement community.

Cons

The pay is LOW. I make about 887 every two weeks after taxes. That is a pay that is only a few dollars more than that I made at Autozone. For the risk entailed the only reason anyone should do this is for the resume bullet to go to the counties or the federal system which pay higher. For example the federal level pays 39k-52k for correctional officers. The politics here are also a downfall. Every shift seems to have their group of "it boys" and if you are not in that group you receive less opportunities than those that are included. There is no fraternization policy therefore an individual can hang out with a superior outside of work and gain an advantage because of it. Also even though you gain leave and sick days, you will be punished and shunned for using them. Overtime is abundant which is a pro to most people. However it becomes forced and you get punished for not coming in, instead of the person that called in getting punished. Overall the work environment is dangerous, and I can honestly say that I'm not certain everyone there would have my back in a situation in which I may need their help.

Advice to Management

Establish a solid fraternization policy. Increased pay will lead to increased retention rates. Better screen applicants for possible downfalls.

8. "By far the absolute WORST job I've ever held"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Department of Corrections full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Insurance............ummm what else, oh yeah did I mention great insurance. Good stepping stone for going else where like the County or Federal

Cons

High stress, extremely low pay. 28 day pay cycle, work overtime and you will wait three weeks before you get it and it will be on a separate check. If you work overtime and have vacation time or leave within that 28 day pay cycle, the overtime you worked will compensate for the time you will miss from work. Absolutely no incentive to stay. You can forget about training opportunities, not happening. Equipment is so decrepit, in my opinion, of all the state agencies the DOC has the worst fleet of vehicles. This job is horrible. Extremely high turn over rate. Go else where.

Advice to Management

Mandate managers to pursue higher education and stop overworking them.

9. "Not too bad"

Current Employee - Senior Probation Officer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Probation Officer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Florida Department of Corrections full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping to keep the community safe.

Cons

Dealing with criminal 5 days a week and never knowing if or when you will get a raise. It's been six years since the last pay increase!

Advice to Management

Give raises based on performance.

10. "Those Prison Guards"

Former Employee - Ion Exchange Systems in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Ion Exchange Systems in Columbus, GA

I worked at Florida Department of Corrections full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and retirement.

Cons

large good ole boy system. Strong need to be a member of organizations outside of the department in order to be promoted.

Advice to Management

Advice to management from subordinates is not taken.

11. "Run away fast as you can"

Former Employee - Classification Analyst in Okaloo, FL
    Former Employee - Classification Analyst in Okaloo, FL

I worked at Florida Department of Corrections full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent Insurance, a few trust worthy folks

Cons

Hostile work environment, mgmt ignores complaints, low pay, under staffed.

Advice to Management

Listen and act like you care about your staff