Florida International University Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Florida International University President Mark B. Rosenberg
Mark B. Rosenberg

Pros
  • Work/life balance is unparalleled (in 19 reviews)

• This is a wonderful work environment (in 38 reviews)

Cons

1. "Maybe a place to start"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida International University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The students are fascinating.

Cons

Poor management. Wierd administrative priorities.

Advice to Management

How does becoming one of the largest schools help us?

2. "Pay wasn't all to great"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Miami, FL

Pros

The Electrical Engineering department exposes you to many materials/research being worked on.

You can also meet

Cons

Job description said worked up to 20 hours. In reality, you were expected to work 40+ hours per week. They didn't consider that a person could be a full-time engineering student.

"Be warned about the electrical engineering department"

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida International University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellowship pays for college, and the university itself is cheaper than most places.

Cons

The chair of this department is without a doubt the rudest person i have ever worked for! He insults students & workers, plays favorites, and 75% of his employes some of the biggest, whiniest charlatans i have ever met in my life with horrible work ethic. The entire department is a huge mess, and i don't feel like i got a good education here. The guy who trained me had NO idea what he was doing, and ordering stuff was a nightmare. It's almost impossible to get people to follow through on what they are saying. If you are persistant, you might get something done, but you wouldn't make any friends in the process. If you ask people to do there jobs, or follow through on there word, you'll get treated like a jerk because work is soooo horrible. Nobody wants to help you. If you want to do electrical engineering, my strong suggestion is to go elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Listen to students, stop changing the curriculum for the master's program every 5 minutes, and get off your high horse and quit being a jerk!

4. "A complete disaster of an organization"

Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Enrollment Advisor in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida International University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I spent over a year working there and I can honestly say that there are no pros to being employed by FIU Online. There are absolutely no redeeming qualities that I could point to. Every day is worse than the next. Unless you're desperate for a paycheck, you'd be much happier working somewhere else.

Cons

There are too many cons to mention in this small section, but it begins with a total lack of leadership, strategy or competence. The entire management structure of FIU Online is incapable of making a correct decision, on any issue, ever. To offer a comparison, if the management of FIU Online ran a funeral parlor, nobody would die.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to fire themselves if they really care about the quality of the education they're currently offering their online students.

5. "Adjuncts receive little respect or consideration from students and university personnel"

Current Employee - Online Course Instructor in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Online Course Instructor in Miami, FL

Pros

If you have the right department head, there are opportunities to create your own course as you see fit, particularly if you teach online courses.

Cons

* Apathetic students who disregard information about deadlines and assignment requirements and still expect an A in the course.
    * Apathetic bureaucracy who seem unable to provide the most basic information or make it easily accessible.
    * Course technicians who disregard direct instructions or who fail to fulfill their responsibilities or who care more about conformity than what works best for the course. Plus, they're only evaluated once a year instead of every semester, forcing you to wait for problems to get worse over time.

Advice to Management

Treat adjuncts with more respect and give us the opportunity to provide direct feedback on our course technicians.

"An Un-bias Review from a Truthful, non-bitter employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kendall, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kendall, FL

Pros

There are opportunities for growth as its still very much a growing university. However, it will highly depend on your deparement and which members of management you have over you.

Cons

Its difficult to know where to start. Upper management is under qualified, unprofessional, and not willing to work together for the general "good" of the university, students, or athletic programs. I was amazed by many circumstances where I or others were in need of help and were simply told "thats not my job." If FIU is ever going to get better they need to promote the good employees, get rid of the bad/lazy employees, reward those that work hard and recognize ability. They have a HUGE turnover problem, and attitude problem and no one is competent enough to fix it. Its sad.

Advice to Management

7. "FIU College of Law Disrespects and Mistreats Employees"

I worked at Florida International University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are no pros for this employer.

Cons

The FIU College of Law treats professional level employees in a disrespectful manner. Individuals there do not care about the well-being of employees. For example, on February 9th of 2016, the FIU College of Law laid off three long time employees with no notice whatsover. I was one of them. I had always tried to be conscientious and to do a good job. I was called into an office and told to clean out my office immediately and leave by the end of the day. It takes months to get a university job, and I ended up being unemployed for over a year as a result of this mistreatment. My layoff letter stated that I was not terminated for any performance-related issue.
         This mistreatment is completely inappropriate for a public university like FIU. This is the way an inhumane corporation would treat its employees. The FIU College of Law just wanted to save a few bucks by laying off some employees and making the remaining employees take on their work. FIU College of Law thus ruined the lives of its laid off employees.

Advice to Management

Management should have given adequate notice and should have treated the employees with respect. In the current employment climate, they should have given at least a 6 month severance package. The culture and values of FIU College of Law are reprehensible.

8. "not great"

Pros

Liberal work
    good schedules, good life balance
    good management

Cons

Bad in recognizing talent
    very low salary than compared to the living cost

9. "Must know someone to get in"

Former Employee - Worked At the Law School
    Former Employee - Worked At the Law School

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits package

Cons

Administration created a hostile work environment making it tough to collaborate with colleagues

"Disorganized and unstable"

I have been working at Florida International University part-time

Pros

Little to no oversight. You can do what you want in your classroom. They have an excellent computer lab.

Cons

If you need a job as an adjunct then you will probably work here eventually. Be nice to the secretary and other staff as they are the ones actually responsible for getting you a job next semester. There is no oversight, teaching feedback or reviews. You will be left alone and no one will ask about the quality of the education. Often times there are conflicts with where and when you are teaching. This unfortunately makes it very difficult to give the best you can to the students. It is also extremely hard to know if you will be teaching the next semester. No one answers emails or the office phone.

Advice to Management

Be available by email. There shouldn't be no communication at all. Let us know when the dates/times of classes are shifted. The students deserve better.