Florida Power & Light Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Great Benefits, Good Development Opps"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, opportunity for training and development, overall positive work enviroment

Cons

Overly focused on numbers, jobs being reduced/insecurity

Advice to Management

Consider big picture, before executing employee reductions

"Totally Understaffed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office is nice looking.

Cons

The company is dangerously understaffed. A normal work week here is 55 hours. A single person is expected to do 2 or 3 jobs. The parent company has a harebrained scheme called Project Momentums where they cut costs by $25 million every couple of years which means layoffs. We've already been through 3 Project Momentums and we have been informed that there is going to be a 4th and 5th. Meanwhile the CEO and other top executives give themselves huge pay raises and are selling their stock like no tomorrow for millions of dollars. No wonder people are leaving this company.

Advice to Management

People are the competitive advantage of great companies and I have no doubt that you will run this company to the ground.

"Good first step in a career"

Current Employee - Associate PGD Engineer in Arcadia, FL
    Current Employee - Associate PGD Engineer in Arcadia, FL

Pros

Good job to have coming out of college. Learn a lot about how to work in a professional environment. Huge emphasis on safety. The company likes its employees to be well rounded so will get a lot of exposure to different things (engineering, project managing, budget managing, leadership). The people you work will be a big reason you stick around. Company also has pretty good benefits such as company match and pension.

Cons

Work tends to take over life (poor work life balance). You will be expected to give free work hours if you a salary employee (50-60 hours a week). You are told that a bonus will be given within a % range of base salary which will be based on performance however it really is based on how company does as a whole and how much your boss likes you. Bonus typically tends to be on the lower end of that that % range. Work done between departments will frustrate you as departments will resort to the "that"s not my job" in order to get out of doing extra work on top of their busy work life.

Advice to Management

Compensate your employees when extra work and effort is clearly shown. Figure out a way to reward employees that give up hours of their life to the company.

4. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Plant Technician in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Plant Technician in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time

Pros

I love my job and the only reason I am potentially leaving us to get out of Miami.

Cons

Typical corporate complaints that you deal with when working for any big company.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the employees on solving issues.

5. "Central Maintenance is NOT where you want to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seemed good at first but then turned South.
    They spend a ENORMOUS amount of money on FOOD only IF you work for them. They think it shows how much they care about you, but it's not true. If you ever did accounting then you would know, it goes under operating cost, and being a regulated utility the more you SPEND, the MORE YOU CAN MAKE IN PROFITS and then pay out in DIVIDENDS to stock/share holders.

Cons

I would sit here and VENT how I feel about being discharged before the 6 months period was up, but I won't.
    If I did that, that would show immaturity and I am not....
    Just NEVER take anyone there as "your friend". They will smile at your face and then cut your throat.
    If they REALLY don't have anything to do, their (the CM people) only goal is to ruin other people's lives.
    The old saying,"idel hands are the devils doing".........well CM, they have a lot of idel time, so they love to be the devil, especially the "red devil", and people would know who that is.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a company that cares for it's people, not the bottom line.
    You put people that are NOT person people in positions that can dictate if you work their or not.
    I didn't have a degree from some IVY league school but I work hard, know my trade (electrical) and always tried to get along with people, I respect people, may not personally like them, but I RESPECT THEM. Your people DO NOT RESPECT PEOPLE. You need to keep people under ONE supervisor, ONE MTL and ONE Outage manager, not shuffle them around from plants to plant (as in different people being their "lead" for that week, as in deciding if they stay or get fired). And get Supervisors that CAME FROM THE TRADE. Have people FROM the trade interview people that are going for a position IN THAT TRADE, NOT have a mechanical person interview a electrical person.
    And don't move people that have NO IDEA of how to 'manage' people (as in Supervisors) to being a Supervisor.
    When the supervisor said,"I am NOT impressed with you"........how do you think that makes me feel?
    That is NOT a people person and he should not have that position.

6. "Custome Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Good for students trying to earn money while they study

Cons

The company sees you as a number. Unless you are in the union anticipate constant worry of layoffs and daily discussions on target numbers. Employees become increasingly competitive to try to stand out.

Advice to Management

Avoid nepotism. Focus on developing employees to achieve results in lieu of attempting to weed out and start with someone else. Do not make anyone feel like the work is demeaning for a manager. It's disrespectful to an employee who tries to make an impact.

"Human Resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juno Beach, FL

Pros

Great company, benefits, people, values, etc. Couldn't say enough great things about the organization.

Cons

none that I can think of...

8. "Excellent company to work for, excellent benefits"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Wesley Chapel, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Wesley Chapel, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Great benefits
    * Lots of opportunities in a variety of technical and non-technical fields
    * Corporate office has best benefits and location (Juno Beach)
    * Profit sharing is based upon how company does during the year, usually well

Cons

* Company can cut staff, and usually does, on a yearly basis as part of constant process improvement and profit increase efforts for shareholders
    * Many outer locations and satellite offices have far fewer amenities

Advice to Management

NA

9. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer II in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time

Pros

good benefits and people are friendly

Cons

not very flexible or good work life balance

10. "Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Billing Supervisor in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Billing Supervisor in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/ life balance. Great benefits. Strives to be "more than a job". Some members of mgmt very caring.

Cons

Management and stats need to be changed. Majority of mgmt doesn't care about employees