Florida Power & Light Reviews | Glassdoor

Florida Power & Light Reviews

Updated August 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits very family oriented (in 23 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits for all employees (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours/work life balance could be better (in 23 reviews)

• Employees have to work long hours in order to keep up with projects, requests and demands (in 5 reviews)

1. "Technical Specialist"

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, 401 K, salary OK.

Cons

Need more workers for workload

"Like a wasteful government entity"

Former Employee - Contractor in Jupiter, FL
    Former Employee - Contractor in Jupiter, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment with many perks and benefits for employees.

Cons

Contractors hired to do a majority of the Information Technology work but are never accepted into the nest. Regular employees attend meetings most of the day and would rather focus time and effort in safety seminars or the many internal events unrelated to their primary roles. They farm out all key troubleshooting and architecture to a couple of key employees and many contracted vendors.There a few very dedicated and hard working employees but most would not be happy at a typical company.

Advice to Management

Promote employees based on merit and not just time with company. Many middle managers are totally unqualified but have their positions based upon time with company and whether they are progressing in the Six Sigma program.

3. "Project Engineer"

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time

Pros

Room for growth, equal opportunity, great company culture.

Cons

Large company allows for errors in comunication at times.

4. "Program manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with are the best I have ever associated with.

Cons

Constant pressure to increase productivity.

5. "Great company"

Pros

Good career with a good company

Cons

Company is contracting more work

6. "Review of Delivery Assurance Intern"

Pros

There was a great working environment with plenty of intelligent co--workers.

Cons

There honestly isn't any bad words that I could say about the company.

Advice to Management

I would suggest management giving the interns more work.

7. "Phenomenal"

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time

Pros

Great benefits (especially if you have a family), specifically the four zero one K.

Cons

Work a lot of hours, so if you have a family, you won't really have a lot of family time (depending on the job you are looking for.

Advice to Management

pack your bags and bring your poles. we're going fishin'

8. "Sr. Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Senior Legal Assistant in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Legal Assistant in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large corporate general counsel office located in Florida. Attorneys and staff were friendly. Great benefits inclusive of medical, dental, vision and 401(k). Multiple locations offered wellness centers and gyms. Yearly reviews were held enabling the setting of goals and career paths in various departments.

Cons

Continual shifting of tiers of management; layoffs a way of life. Work/Life balance can be out of balance for certain departments.

9. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time

Pros

Benefits: great 401k/company match plan, competitive vacation/time off, on-site cafeterias at discounted prices, on-site fitness center and wellness specialists
    Opportunity for advancement and career development
    Company invests in a wide variety training programs

Cons

Employees have to work long hours in order to keep up with projects, requests and demands. There is no work - life balance anymore.
    Lots of micromanagement across the board, it has become part of the culture and what you are expected to do a supervisor/manager

"Pincipal Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Jupiter, FL
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Jupiter, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The IM worker bees and operations folks are some of the nicest people you could hope to meet.
    Salaries are decent, but not exceptional.
    Benefits are decent, but not exceptional, especially for a large company.

Cons

IT management has no compunctions regarding lying or obfuscating - everything from the specifics of why they are hiring you, to non-existent "regulatory filing deadlines" that drive your delivery schedule to guarantee that you work 50-70 hours a week.

IM management also has no compunctions about ignoring the lies of their contractors when it meets their political goals. I was tail-end charlie in the delivery cycle of my last project, i.e. the app developer, as opposed to the contract business analyst or the contract Java developer responsible for a nightmare of an external Oracle database for which they insisted writing a ridiculous interface. This meant the lies by the contract PM to the effect that all his firm's contract employees delivered on-time/on-schedule made the contractor and the group manager look good (or at least, not bad) - and put me working seven days a week for a month. I could live with the OT, but not with the self-serving lies by the contractor, or the lack of repercussions. Nor with the drones in management who neither plan, nor manage projects, nor have any knowledge about the business or the technologies that they should understand as a core part of their job description.

Salary reviews are a joke - you get a salary increase, your "bonus" takes a hit. Get a big bonus, your annual increase takes a hit. I had two direct managers as an FPL employee, and both of them admitted that they have a "bucket of budget", and never have as much salary/bonus money as what their team deserved .

FPL IM has a lot of reorg activity - three downsizing cycles in the two years I was an FPL employee. Every time there was a downsizing, I lost people on my team.

All of the above explains why almost. half of the group I was in (and all of the real senior technical talent) chose to seek "other opportunities". Ask the one who are left why they don't leave, and the common responses are either, "Because I am not yet vested", "Because I almost have the time required to retire with free health insurance', to "Because I can't find anything else in this area."

Advice to Management

Try to stop squeezing blood from a turnip - eliminating employees who actually do 'work' and keeping an IM management structure that does no work related to projects other than occasionally (rarely, in some cases) attend project meetings, but broadcast numerous congratulatory emails to one another when the one FPL employee actually WORKING on the project delivers the code to production with zero defects found in the first few months of production - but that engineer is just considered to be "doing his job".

Also not terribly smart to "replace" that single employee after they leave with three offshore contract engineers, a part-time PM, one part-time FPL IM employee to explain requirements to the offshore engineers and smoke-test the code they produce, often returning it to them immediately because of bugs in the new code or regressions in the existing code. And a part-time business analyst - all to "replace" one employee.

What would the ratepayers say?