Florida Rock and Tank Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rob Sandlin

1. "driver"

I have been working at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time

Pros

laid back atomosphere good training

Cons

getting paid is complicated

2. "Driver"

Former Employee - Tanker Driver in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Tanker Driver in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any that would help

Cons

Old equipment that's not maintained properly, Dispatch durning the day is fine but nights and weekends forget about it

Advice to Management

Maintain your equipment, listen to your driver needs and concerns and don't lie to them every Saftey meeting

3. "its Good"

I have been working at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time

Pros

Bonuses an you home every night.. good pay great boss.

Cons

Well dispatch can be a headache an waiting a hour or 2 for your truck to be ready. Due to a slip seat partner.

Advice to Management

Dispatch to be a little more considerate with communication. That's a big key

"Logistics Supervisor"

Current Employee - Logistics Supervisor in Union City, GA
    Current Employee - Logistics Supervisor in Union City, GA

I have been working at Florida Rock and Tank Lines (More than a year)

Pros

3 Day's off per week

Cons

12 hour shifts, poor leadership, high turnover.

"Avoid. At. All. Costs."

Former Employee - Fuel Delivery Driver in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Fuel Delivery Driver in Macon, GA

I worked at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well. They are flexible with the schedule. If you need a day off all you have to do is ask, though they will expect return for the favor.

Cons

Where do I start? For a company that expects you to haul up to 9000 gallons of flammable liquid, they sure give you some crappy equipment to work with. The hoses you use to drop the fuel are often already worn and it's up to you to change the fittings or notify someone that the hoses need to be replaced. No trailer has the same equipment and likely someone will steal equipment off your trailer. The trucks are no better. Mack autos that pretty much rotate in and out of the shop on a regular basis. Other times the drivers deal with the mechanical issues until they become too much.

Then there's the hours. You're gonna work at least 12 hrs a day, maybe 6 days. You're paid by load so if it takes you a few hours to get loaded but you're only going 10 miles out, you get $33. You can put in for demurrage (delay) pay but it doesn't add much. They began giving a minimum every week of $850 but there's criteria you have to meet to get it.

Every loading terminal has a different procedure to load. Some work with you and others are just looking for an excuse to write you up. Waiting for you to cause a problem that will get you locked out.
    There is always someone watching you too. They may be sitting in the parking lot as you drop or following you.

Just don't do it. The training pay is peanuts. Literally I was bringing home maybe $400plus during training and smelled like gasoline.

Advice to Management

I really don't think there's anything I can say to change them. They seem to really not give af about their yards or how these things affect their employees

"Run. Safely, of course."

Former Employee - Driver in Doraville, GA
    Former Employee - Driver in Doraville, GA

Pros

If you work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day, you can make about $1200 gross every week. Not my idea of a pro, rather that's what the company tells you.

Cons

Equipment is junk. Morale is worse than any place I've ever seen. Night dispatch is always screaming at the drivers. Manager is always "on it" or "just about to do it" anytime you ask him a question or ask him to do anything for you. Final straw for me was when a dispatcher told me that every mistake a driver makes costs each dispatcher pay. Why should they pay if I enter something in a computer wrong or have an accident? Were they with me? No. Just a cheap, crappy company.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for anyone. Management doesn't care what anyone has to say. Drivers are a commodity to this company and they really don't care if you stay or go.

"Rude, shady, and constant turnover. DRIVER"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are great at talking up the company and preloading empty promises.

Cons

Completely unorganized stressful environment. I just attended one day of unpaid orientation and could tell this place was a joke. They had two drivers come in and quit while I was at orientation. The office is the most unprofessional shack I have ever seen and the two ladies were so stressed and busy that I was stuck there for what seemed like forever. When I called the recruiter back to express my concerns he said "You're better off not working here." and hung up on me.

Advice to Management

Get your "poop" together man! Extremely surprised they are still in business.

9. "A job for perfect people"

Pros

There are many saints that work there. They have to be because they fire everyone who makes mistakes. Except drivers of course, they are virtually untouchable.

Cons

Culture is horrible. Negative. Negative. Negative. Daily nasty grams from CEO. Everyone at corporate thinks folks in the field are stupid. Lots of opportunities as long as you want to move and do the same thing elsewhere. On call 24/7/365. Expected to read emails on your phone at all times. 250+ emails per day

Advice to Management

Learn the business. Fire yourselves. Try being positive. Any or all of the above would be appreciated. Get rid of email.

10. "Driver An Terminal Manager"

Former Employee - Driver and Terminal Manager in Moore, SC
    Former Employee - Driver and Terminal Manager in Moore, SC

I worked at Florida Rock and Tank Lines (More than a year)

Pros

Good Company to work for.

Cons

On call 24/7. Working environment is very lean.

Advice to Management

Hire more personel

"Dying breed"

I worked at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time

Pros

Better communication with current local management. Provided uniforms.Local onsite garage staffed with mechanic. Pizza provided at most safety meetings. Hummmmmmm............???????

Cons

Lack of pay for experience. No paid sick days. Must wait 10 yrs for 3rd week of vacation. Wouldn't supply tank charts for new business ....how are we supposed to know what 90% Ullage is??? Redundant safety meeting to notify the drivers that we are a dime a dozens (CEO's own words) and finally overpriced health insurance.

Advice to Management

You have to pay for the experience you want. You say you want to be a premier company then you must be willing to show that to your potential new hires without lying to their face.