Florida Rock and Tank Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "driver. 20 years."

Current Employee - Driver in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Driver in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great job.great benefits.plenty of work.

Cons

like any driving job.bad weather.traffic.

Advice to Management

keep it up

2. "tanker driver"

Former Employee - Tanker Driver in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Tanker Driver in Nashville, TN

I worked at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people were great to work with, even they ones whom I didn't agree with on a professional level were friendly and courteous.

Cons

some people just didn't put much effort into improving their jobs, same people would play favorites and dispatch "favored drivers" on better paying loads. Upper levels of management were always pretending to be warren buffet flying around on corporate jets while the business is loosing hundreds of thousands of dollars/ year. Showed no interest in cost savings and continually boasted how good Florida Rock was and how bad everyone else was. Those same people told us that when we lost 60% of the business that those businesses would come back because of our competitors were not going to be able to maintain service with what they bid. The upper levels of management would then lie and change the story to "they never gave us a chance to rebid" after saying for a full year before then, "they can't haul gas for that, we know what it costs to haul gas and they'll go under doing it for that low."

Advice to Management

learn your business and not place your business' success on other business' failure; if they don't fail than you fail. if you have to cut costs, find real ways to cut costs but cutting experienced drivers to pay thousands to train new drivers is ridiculous. Not knowing why the business does certain things is equally stupid, it's worse than the dog not knowing why he's wagging his tail, he doesn't even know he has one. I asked the CEO why they weren't using standardized tires, and I asked him why we were paying for expensive tires if we weren't profitable. I just find it as crazy that they don't even know why they're spending the money, I bought tires for 10 years running my own business, and I bought quite a few michellins. I never got the performance they advertised with the premium price that I had to pay and so I stopped buying them. The same thing goes for most of the other executive level management. When I asked them about the profitability and they said "they're not worried about it." That was a great answer for you but I ended up loosing my job because you "weren't worried about it."

"You have no free time here"

Former Employee - Driver in Panama City, FL
    Former Employee - Driver in Panama City, FL

I worked at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time

Pros

The only good thing I can say is the training is good and intense.

Cons

At the one in panama city you have no time with family. You are always 13.5 hrs. everyday. they want to use your 70 every wk. Family oriented, what a joke.

Advice to Management

Back off the hours or you wont keep new drivers

"Started as a shipping attendant, was promoted to shipping supervisor, then became a control room operator."

Former Employee - Control Room Operator in Newberry, FL
    Former Employee - Control Room Operator in Newberry, FL

I worked at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great people to work for

Cons

Don't get hurt, dusty environment

"Overworked and Underpaid is the Culture"

I have been working at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time

Pros

I honestly can't think of anything.

Cons

Low pay, understaffed in every area (but that's how the big guys at the top like it). Unprofessional atmosphere. A great company for people who have no life outside of work.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees. Act as if they mean something to you. Happy employees do good work.

"The worst company at the port!!!!! Head my warning!!!"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Davie, FL
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Davie, FL

I worked at Florida Rock and Tank Lines (More than 3 years)

Pros

It’s a job.......there nothing more than to say than that, you get experience and trust me before you walk through the door you already have the job.

Cons

It’s the worst job imaginable, you only get the guarantee pay if you have every single card at the port, work 6 days and all 14 hours on the clock without turning down a single load even if it puts you pass your dot regulated time! To top it off the guarantee pay is only 850 before taxes! The insurance is a joke! There’s no co pay, instead a deductible of 500 dollars that you must pay before the insurance covers any bill. The equipment breaks down constantly and terminal manager covers it up with poor mechanic work, and I almost forgot to mention that the supervisor is a foul mouth racist who is more than un-professional on a daily basis. You can apply if you think I’m lying but you will regret it in a months time.

Advice to Management

Quit so the terminal can become a better place

"Drive"

Former Employee - Driver in Doraville, GA
    Former Employee - Driver in Doraville, GA

I worked at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

one of the best trucking jobs i experience. As long as you get as many fuel cards, you will be fine. Plenty of work

Cons

schedule remains the same, and safety hires company to follow you around while you are drive.

Advice to Management

have rotating weekends

8. "Driver"

I have been working at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time

Pros

Great pay good benefits that's it

Cons

Slip seat sucks sometimes wish u had my own truck

Advice to Management

Pay us a lot more for the work we do

"HORRIBLE"

Current Employee - Office in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Office in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of a single good thing.

Cons

Bad management stating from the top. They preach about how they care, but do not care or take care of their people and they scratch their heads why turnover is so high. 3 out 4 people quit within a short period. Senior people are those over a year. McDonalds has lower turnover that this place.
    CEO only complains to us, never say anything encouraging or EVER comes to see us or treats us like we matter to him. NO accountability of management. Almost all of them are "Yes" men. Computer system crashes every other day.

Advice to Management

get out of your office, actually listen to those on the front lines. MAYBE... Think about what would it take to make this a great place to be instead of wondering what little detail we can cover for you today...

"Corporate is out of touch"

I worked at Florida Rock and Tank Lines full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good medical insurance and other options

Cons

They do not pay their drivers what they deserve! This makes it difficult to retain and hire!

Advice to Management

Stop paying yourself so much and take care of the rest of your employees! Dispatchers are on call and do not have a work/life balance, so it ishard to keep good people!