Florida SouthWestern State College Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Le Mars, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Le Mars, IA

I have been working at Florida SouthWestern State College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment to work in it

Cons

Under pressure heavy-duty work

2. "College perspective"

I have been working at Florida SouthWestern State College full-time

Pros

Helping students grow, interesting work, and interesting people. Great health benefits and time off.

Cons

More with less. Employee value can be easily overlooked.

Advice to Management

Create success plans for employee growth and reward milestones.

3. "Coordinator"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Florida SouthWestern State College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dedicated staff who care about student success and degree completion.

Cons

Hostile environment, fear factor and down mean spirited people.

Advice to Management

I retired from FSW, during my years I saw many changes; some good some bad. The administration is very detached and doesn’t understand what staff does and doesn’t appear to care. Staff are the most important part of the foundation of the college. If it weren’t for them there would be no students which means no faculty, etc., etc. There are many hard working dedicated people at the college who are under appreciated and the morale weighs heavily on over worked underpaid staff. Now, the push is athletics to boost enrollment and provide campus involvement; especially for the student population. There continues to be politics and back stabbing on all levels (which is in every workforce) but it’s destructive when trusting and being able to work in a healthy environment. I worked at the college every day and felt like you were waiting for the other shoe to drop. They don’t care about longevity or dedication with employees. Their favorite comment is, “the college is going in a different direction and your services are no longer needed” off you go. Agree, this happens in every work environment but it’s the way it’s handled that’s disturbing to me. They have lost some good people due to politics and just plain meanness. I’m so grateful and thankful that I was able to retire when I could and did. Finally, I’ve been in higher education well over 35 years and if you were to ask me if FSW is any different than any of the other colleges I’ve worked at I’d have to say, “not really.” I’m not trying to “bash” the college but trying to be honest in my insight and experience so when determining a working environment you can decide. There is no “perfect” work environment but it sure does help when there is support and appreciation from the upper directors, deans, VPs and the president. Not just in words but in actions. Actions speak volumes to the people who work hard to make YOU look good! ​

4. "FSW is a progressive state college that has it all: strong academic programs, sports, arts, and other cultural events."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Florida SouthWestern State College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location, location, location. Working in the paradise of SWFL is amazing. No state taxes. Free employee health insurance. Great benefits. FSW is more organized than before. Offices such as HR, Advising, Financial Aid, and Bursar have some amazingly competent, talented, and thought leaders.

Cons

The Peter Principle can be an issue here. Learn to have Crucial Conversations by analyzing how to make various leadership styles feel SAFE. Find your lane and stay in it at FSW. Must show and know your worth FAST. Then, stand your ground.

Advice to Management

Don't miss the forest for the trees. Respect and appreciation goes so much further than a dollar ever will. Work hard to recognize TRUE loyal dedicated contributors to the success of the College.

Apr 21, 2017 – Hr Manager, Talent Acquisition

We really value your feedback and are glad you recognize the many positive aspects of working at FSW. Your comments related to concerns and ways we could improve are of importance as well so I... More

5. "A Lovely College"

Current Employee - Research
    Current Employee - Research

I have been working at Florida SouthWestern State College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The main Lee campus is beautiful, with many trees and a lot of lakes full of turtles. It is relatively quiet, though there are plenty of events if one would like to attend. Currently, there is a nice Farmer's Market on Fridays. The food at the on campus cafeteria is good. Staff are friendly. Recently remodeled buildings.

Cons

It is located in Florida, which can be a challenging place for higher education. Some long-time employees were recently dismissed and it is unclear why. Things like that can be hard on moral for existing employees.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

Apr 13, 2017 – Hr Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your comments. It's always a pleasure to hear the "pro" comments yet we value the "cons" just as much. Since we believe there is always room for improvement, the "cons" are... More

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Florida SouthWestern State College full-time

Pros

FSW offers a beautiful workplace and encourages new ideas to meet the needs of our students and employees. Benefits and generous time off from work is enough to offset lower wages for this region.

Cons

Salaries are lower than market for my position.

Advice to Management

Upper management should be more visible to employees by walking around campus more.

Apr 13, 2017 – Hr Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your comments. It's a pleasure to hear the good things about working here at FSW. We recognize there is always room for improvement so if you would like to further discuss the... More

7. "Great"

Pros

- cultivation of career growth
    - friendly and knowledgeable administration
    - beautiful campus

Cons

- salary increases are not based on performance but based on state dollars available

Apr 13, 2017 – Hr Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing such positive feedback and for ranking us a "5 - star" employer! You make a fair observation regarding salary increases and if you have any ideas you'd like to share with us... More

8. "Valued"

I have been working at Florida SouthWestern State College full-time

Pros

FSW is an institution where your work and effort are valued, contributions to the team are encouraged and welcomed and work life balance is spot on. Growth and cross training is encouraged.
    State Benefits are a plus.

Cons

Increased pay is limited to state budgetary constraints rather than performance.

9. "Poor Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Florida SouthWestern State College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees really care about the students and other employees. The faculty are great people. Student services have undergone changes and are so much better than three years ago. You need to take care of everyone; not just the higher ups. Staff and faculty are ignored. Unfortunately, the administration doesn't understand how to manage employees or a business. Management by fire and a spinning compass.

Cons

The administration doesn't care. They just get the job done good or bad. Unfortunately, that mindset usually means bad. Plus, they change so often I am not sure they have enough time to evaluate what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Stop and listen to your employees and faculty. You can't just plan on doing it, wait 3 years and then rush it into place without a plan.

10. "Student Assistant"

Pros

Flexible Hours and meeting new peope

Cons

Only can work up to 20 hours a week