Florida Southern College Reviews | Glassdoor

Florida Southern College Reviews

Updated Nov 4, 2019

2.8
Florida Southern College CEO Anne B Kerr (no image)
Anne B Kerr
  1. "Student Worker"

I have been working at Florida Southern College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have great student employment opportunities

Cons

I do not have any cons

Florida Southern College2018-01-21
  2. "It's alright I guess"

Current Employee - Student Worker in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Florida Southern College part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedules and good resume material

Cons

Low pay for most workers, but that's to be expected

Florida Southern College2019-11-04

"Don't Do It"

Current Employee - Staff Director

I have been working at Florida Southern College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Due to understaffed departments, there's room to adopt numerous responsibilities, making yourself more marketable. Due to the high turnover rate, there's a good chance you'll get to work with some pretty great people. Gorgeous campus and good benefits.

Cons

Racism, fudging numbers, lack of strategic planning are all commonplace at FSC. Leadership thinks that diversity is achieved/respected when black people are taken out of publications. Leadership promotes doing whatever it takes to boost retention numbers, giving numbers, and more. More often than not "whatever it takes" means a sudden thought of the President's should be implemented with zero consideration given to... data, strategy, or previous experience. Whatever it takes also includes lying about performance metrics. If you value honesty, devising plans based on best practice/strategy, and working for leadership that values its employees don't work at FSC. Ask multiple people (because one of them will lie to you) how many people have been in your position in the last five years, it will reveal a lot.

Advice to Management

Be on your employee's side! Don't just function as a messenger of the Presidents. We may not be the highest level of administration but when we know management values us we're likely to stick around for more than two years. Stand up to Dr. Kerr and demand policies that prioritize the long-term health of the College. Don't settle for her short term career plans that make her look great but jeopardize alumni... relationships, ignore hazardous and dilapidated buildings, lower student expectations, ignore racial tensions, and more.

Florida Southern College2019-06-24
  4. "Great Opportunity to Create Long-Term Work Skills"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Florida Southern College full-time for more than a year

Pros

• Supportive and receptive of individual opinions and ideas. • Ability for counselors to go to conferences and continue to grow their skill toolkit. • Team building trips in the summer ranging from dinners to Disney World trips. • The VP of enrollment management (John Grundig) is a great leader and does his very best to make sure his staff is performing optimally. • Great benefits package

Cons

• Long hours especially in the fall due to travel for college fairs, as well as multiple call nights per week. Burnout is very common.

Florida Southern College2019-05-14
  5. "Low pay, no advancement, no training."

Current Employee - Lab Manager

I have been working at Florida Southern College full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people in labs and the staff

Cons

Old buildings, no advancement, LOW pay, good old boy network

Advice to Management

Take care of your staff

Florida Southern College2019-06-10

"Like Kafka's "The Castle""

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Florida Southern College full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a very pretty campus by a fab lake. The support staff are generally super.

Cons

FSC management is under qualified for higher education (professional educational "doctorates" rather than research degrees for a significant number). There's a lot of back stabbing. Employees are expected to do things that are not in their contract. The focus is on money, not education. There appear to be jealousies between several management personnel.

Advice to Management

None.

Florida Southern College2019-05-23

"Long Hours, Evenings, and Weekends"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor

I worked at Florida Southern College full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent starting pay, autonomy, training and development

Cons

Long meetings and nights, expect to work more than 40 hours a week, driving the bus, conducting campus visits on top of being busy with your territory, and expectation to meet goals that make it difficult for students and families to pay for a private education for 4 years. Health insurance plan is expensive! No work/life balance in Admissions.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, defer some responsibilities that can be handled by interns and student staff off of Admissions Counselors so they can focus on making enrollment goals if numbers are so important.

Florida Southern College2019-03-04
  8. "Working at FSC"

I worked at Florida Southern College part-time

Pros

I was a student worker and it was great because they had something available for me to do while I was also attending classes.

Cons

I worked in the multicultural center so the amount of pressure on you to bring diversity to campus was a little much but manageable if your up for a challenge

Florida Southern College2019-01-06
  9. "Assistant Director of Adult and Graduate Admission"

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Florida Southern College full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people, the students, the flexibility.

Cons

Lack of bonuses, non-competitive salaries.

Florida Southern College2018-10-12
  10. "Good"

I worked at Florida Southern College full-time

Pros

They put God and family first.

Cons

Amateur in thinking and executing as a college should

Florida Southern College2018-05-15