Florida Virtual School Reviews | Glassdoor

Florida Virtual School President and CEO Ron Blocker
Ron Blocker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is no job security at all and hard work is not rewarded (in 18 reviews)

• can feel overwhelming at times, work/life balance takes time to get on track (in 13 reviews)

"Great place to work..."

Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best job I've ever had. I've been at FLVS over 7 years and still love my job.

Cons

We have a massive student load but Admin realizes this and helps us where they can.

"NO JOB SECURITY AT ALL"

Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, you can use the bathroom whenever you want (if you are a teacher you know what I mean)

Cons

If you have ever worked for a public school before, you have benefitted from the teacher's union and job protection whether you realize it or not. I have been a teacher for 15 years... 10 with the county and 5 with FLVS. While working for public schools, I've dealt with supportive administration and I've also dealt with incompetent ones who tried to treat me unfairly and blind side me. However, I always had a union representative to intervene and arbitrate when I worked for the county. I know there are cons to it being hard to fire teachers with the public school districts but if you are a good teacher, it does provide some protection from getting fired for a single mistake. At FLVS, if an IL (priniciple) comes after you or chooses not to support you, you will get fired. It will not matter how great your evaluations are. It will not matter how amazing you are. It will not matter how much blood and sweat you have given to that institution. You will be fired and now you will have to find a job and on your applications when asked your reason for leaving, what will you say? You will need to say you left because you were fired. FLVS does not care at all about their teachers. They never see your face and they are run like a corporation so you are just a disposable, replaceable means to an end (that end being money). Florida is a right to work (or as I say right to fire people) state which means a company can fire you for ANY reason other than blatant discrimination. Also, you will work evenings and I don't mean grading papers for a few hours. I mean you will be on the phone with parents and students until 7 or 8pm. Again, if you don't mind working evenings and if you are okay with getting fired at the drop of a hat then go for it. The one benefit is ho w nice most of the other teachers are but that can also be a con since no one speaks up and says anything about the problems the school has, including some very incompetent managers. I have decided to start the process of starting my own business and am leaving the company (since I feel safer working for myself). The company used to be amazing and great to work for. Teachers used to have to work weekends and even that was easier than dealing with some of the unreasonable managers.

Advice to Management

Treat teachers like professionals. If you feel there is something wrong TALK TO THEM the same way you would want someone to talk to you. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Don't assume they are purposely not doing what you want them to. Be clear with your expectations and managers should have a little more tact and confidence.

"Anon"

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

Work from home is a plus

Cons

almost everything about the company

"Go there if you want them to misuse your time and talents"

I worked at Florida Virtual School part-time

Pros

Work from anywhere from 8 am to 9:30 pm

Cons

Unbelievable requirements and loads of students. Working part time took more than 60 hours per week to take care of students and family needs.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic about expectations of students and instructors. If hiring someone temporarily in order to have more courses completed before the fiscal year ends, have the courtesy to tell them that it is a temp job. Several people quit their full time teaching jobs believing that FLVS was going to keep them on past July.

5. "Instructor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home. Help students one on one.

Cons

No security. ILs change frequently

Advice to Management

Happy teachers make happy students and parents. Hold ILs accountable and have consistency

"Stay Away"

Current Employee - Teacher in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent
    Teachers are all really nice

Cons

Work all the time. Most of the work is in the evenings, so forget about spending time with your kids, having dinner as a family, going to your child's sporting events, etc. No support for teachers. If a student or parent complains, it's your fault. If a student is behind pace, it's your fault. If a student isn't doing what he/she is supposed to do, it's your fault.

Also VERY hypocritical policies. They will tell you one thing and do another in the same breath.

You can have 200 students in your class.

Advice to Management

Think about your teachers. Happy teachers=happy students

"Don't quit your day job"

Former Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are not tied to an office or bell schedule. Benefits are good. The yearly conference is an awesome event.

Cons

You will be expected to work 24/7. The students and parents are always right and you are always to blame. The salary is much less than you would make at a traditional school. The busiest times are summer and nights, so do not take this thinking it will give you more family time. If you are not one of the favorites you will not have any opportunity to grow.

Advice to Management

Stop it with the perky cheerleaders as bosses and hire real managers.

8. "Specialist"

Pros

Work from home and with great people

Cons

Would like more opportunity for advancement

"Virtual teacher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home
    Good benefit package
    Most fellow teachers are helpful and positive to work with
    Most lead teachers are willing to help

Cons

Work -family life balance

Unrealistic expectations in regards to metrics

Telemarketing job... not instructional

Metrics for Managers and instructors are not aligned

Some managers have bully tactics... threatening not helpful
    Leadership only concerned with their numbers ... not in FLVS' claim that students are the center of their decisions.

One could receive "highly qualified" through FLVS' evaluation measuring tools yet still be blindsided by management and told he is not effective.

Poor communication between manager and teacher

Advice to Management

Hire effective instructional leaders; who value their teachers and care about students. Many Instructional leaders behave like they are in some sort of special sorority. Behaving like they are part of some elite popularity club. Managing by belittling, bullying and providing inconsistent and contradicting feedback. Not professional.

"Basic Support Role"

Former Employee - Applications Technician in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Applications Technician in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, competent leadership, enjoyable work environment.

Cons

lack of progressive thinkers, outdated approach to support.

Advice to Management

listen to bridge communication, not to dictate.