Florida Virtual School Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 1, 2018

Jodi Marshall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "There is no job security at all and hard work is not rewarded" (in 19 reviews)

• "if you aren't disciplined, you won't get your things done within the allotted time frame, work-life balance can be thrown off if you aren't careful" (in 17 reviews)

1. "Wonderful company to work for, great work/life balance once you get into the swing of things"

Current Employee - High School English Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - High School English Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance
    Working from home
    Being able to go the doctors office and not take off work
    Being able to go to my kids school activities and not take off work

Cons

Phone calls and texting the students can get out of hand, you have to learn to manage them.

Advice to Management

Keep the raises coming!

"Please Hire Adjuncts Again"

Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A steady pay check, a somewhat flexible schedule,

Cons

Please, bring back Adjunct teachers. They haven’t been hired in the last several years and are a dying breed. Is there any possible way this can be budgeted? It seems to me that it would cost the company less money to hire adjunct teachers with no benefits then to hire more full time teachers- if we can’t afford more full time teachers to lessen the load can’t we afford part time teachers? A part time substitute teacher would be even better that way the entire team of teachers don’t fall behind when someone is sick, goes on medical leave, or vacation. It’s hard enough to manage your own students (impossible when you have 200) let alone someone else’s on top of that. Not only do the teachers suffer, but students do too. Our backs and spirits are broken and we desperately need Adjuncts on our team to fill the gaps for us so that our jobs can be manageable because as of now they are not.

Teaching at FLVS when there were more part time helpers significantly improved my working environment. I know several teachers looking for part time work from teachers who have full time careers, teachers who are working from home teaching online, teachers who are taking time off to raise toddlers but want to work part time teaching at FLVS like they used to. Many highly qualified educators are waiting to work here and are waiting to help lighten our overly-stuffed full time load. I know a dozen if not more highly qualified teachers in my area alone who would work in a Part Time Teaching position at FLVS as an Adjunct/Substitute/capacity either individually or as both roles.

Why not save money, and help teachers (and in return students) by hiring an Adjunct teacher or substitute? Why not even consider hiring an Adjunct who would be paid as a double adjunct to take on both rolls (50 of their own students and up to 50 students from a teacher on leave as a sub)?

Seems to me (and several other teachers who also remember the good old days) to be the best solution as it saves FLVS money and is a saving grace for teachers and students.

The technology is also simply outdated- there needs to be a major overhaul of procedures and modern technology for VSA. VSA is constantly crashing and waiting for it to work is a waste of time. Even when it does work, the technology is antiquated .

Parent contact responsibility on teachers is an inefficient use of time. The parents are required to respond once a month to specific monthly student progress. There is much better use of a teachers time then to prepare reports that parents already have access to, create a personalized message for parents, and track them down waiting for a response in the game of phone tag (or text/email). Parent phone calls should be based upon teacher discretion such as for parents of students who are below standards for the course and should not be subjected to a monthly requirement.

The monthly phone contact requirement for students should be modified as well. Teachers should be able to use their own professional judgment as to whether or not a student needs a monthly phone call. Many times students are performing well and a text message is a completely appropriate way to check up on a student. The great part about FLVS is that students can work flexibly at their own pace as long as they complete 3-4 assignments per week. Teachers should spend their time calling students who they feel need the most attention such as students below standards and students who need DBA’s to continue in the course (sometimes this takes less than a month sometimes slightly longer between DBAs), or students who are not working at all. A monthly countdown is an unnecessary stress on both teachers and the student, the only necessary standard should be for contacting a student/parent if they’re behind pace or need a DBA. There is just no time in the day and no room for unneeded added pressures and responsibilities such as the monthly countdown.

It is an unequal measure of a teacher’s performance to hold them accountable for whether or not a student or parent will answer or return a two way progress message.

8-8 is too late. Please consider ending teacher availability at 6 or 7. A late family dinner is better than no family dinner. But after 8 is just too late.

Please take these thoughts into consideration. FLVS is the leading virtual school in Florida, but there are other virtual teaching options which are more appealing to teachers with better pay per hour and significantly less responsibility. I know several teachers who have left FLVS and their mental and physical health has vastly improved do to teaching at another virtual institution. There is competition now, meaning it’s time to make this a place people really want to work again.

Following through with these few,but impactful, suggestions to improve efficiency and moral is a great start.

Advice to Management

See Cons.

"FLVS elementary teacher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home and students.

Cons

very disorganized and expectations always changing. When hired I was promised that the modules were already completed. There was nothing. I had about a 3 week period in the summer to try to do that. I was working non-stop from morning until night and that was before I was assigned 100 students. The company had many nice people trying to help one another.

Advice to Management

Be more up front of what is already created.

4. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

Work from home, flexibility, flexibility!

Cons

None. None at this time.

"Ridicioulus Workload and hours"

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

Ability to Work from home

Cons

Teachers are required to be availability daily 8-8, 12 hours per day, and even within these hours, it is hardly possible to finish all DBA’s, grading, and calls. The number Of students in the class continues increasing, which increases employee stress and workload. I have to manage 100s of students at a time. I do not recommend working here!!!!

"The Flex elementary program is evolving and growing."

Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, work from home, good benefits

Cons

Growing pains, curriculum is new and has many errors, parents calling on weekends and off hours.

Advice to Management

Listen to your teachers. We naturally do what is best for kids and families. Trust our instincts.

7. "Teacher"

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility and student centered learning.

Cons

I have no cons for this job

Advice to Management

None

"One Student at a time..."

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working to help students succeed, good team members, working from home

Cons

complete lack of growth, low and fixed salaries, management turnover

Advice to Management

recognize you're losing great talent by lack of growth, low salaries, and poor decision-making, management turnover.

"Credit Factory / Diploma Mill / Administration has no integrity."

Former Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For a small share of students who are homebound or can't access some traditional courses, you are a lifeline towards better education. The courseware is moderately well made up. As a teacher, you learn more about your course for the first few months.

Cons

FLVS undermines public education by hiring scab non-union teachers (such as myself) and threatens them to pass as many students as possible, no matter how badly they have not yet mastered the content "at their own pace".

This is a call center, that plays by different rules than a typical public school, and used government lobbying to grow as large as they have. As an employee you have to deal with student cheating while never punishing students for doing wrong. Imagine being a manager in a bank, and seeing a teller steal money, and be told your job is to continue to support that teller because otherwise the whole operation will shut down.

Advice to Management

Honestly, to the upper management, my advice to you to save your jobs would be continue to lobby Tallahassee because your credit mill saves the state money by helping push students through without doing the work. Also, consider more name changes and branding because EVERYONE knows how bad you are- and when your day of reckoning comes, I hope your administrative licenses are taken from you. You are not doing the state any favors.

"You will want to shower hourly from the corruption dirt!"

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Flexibility, Flexibility, Flexibility, Flexibility!

Cons

Nepotism, favoritism, Gestapo mentality, double standards.

Advice to Management

You are losing talented, good, conscientious teachers! Wake-up and treat your people with kindness and respect!