Florida Virtual School Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Jodi Marshall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is no job security at all and hard work is not rewarded (in 18 reviews)

• The need for work-life balance is seen as a problem among some managers (in 14 reviews)

"Instructor"

Pros

Money, Flexibility, and really good benefits

Cons

Big Brother. Straight no freedom.

2. "Instructor"

Former Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility on time when completing tasks.

Cons

No consistency or leadership. No encouragement to collaborate in order to improve work environment.

Advice to Management

Play to the strengths of employees in order to improve work efficiencies.

"Credit Factory"

Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule - (providing you are still available between 8am and 8pm...). They expect you to be at your computer from 8am to 8pm, but will happily tell you to balance your time, since you are paid for only 8 hours a day. But, they will still expect a 12 hour commitment. But you can work mostly any where, though they do change that a lot. There is a lot of "you can do that" followed soon by "well, you can't do that any more."

No teaching experience needed - call center experience a plus! (most everything is scripted for you - because someone believes all students learn the same way).

If you like talking to kids about things not related to the class or curriculum (to connect with them / build relationships), this is a great job for you!

Yearly In-service is a great if you want to hear about how cool the elementary school program is, or new updates that may or may not happen. It's also nice to see how friendly the environment becomes after hours in the bar... they do not allow spouses.

Cons

Teachers are treated like children. Talked down to by people who have little connection with teaching (so it seems).

Lead teachers will only help if they have "time" but you are expected to cover for other teachers who are out sick or on vacation (if the lead is "busy"), on top of your load. I do not understand how a teacher can cover their own class and another class (or more), but a lead teacher can only cover one class at a time.

Teachers are not allowed to hold students accountable for not working, cheating...

Huge push to get students to complete credit - not teach. There is little to no teaching involved, it is mostly just talking with kids and telling them they are awesome. It helps to talk about their favorite hockey team, too.

You are expected to call and play phone-tag with about 150 students on a weekly basis (someone decided that all students want to talk on the phone with their flvs teachers weekly or monthly).

They rely on flawed data to evaluate. You will often be told you are "awesome" but the rubric requires something that you don't have because of the class you teach.

There is much more... Some will love it. Some will hate it. That goes for teachers and students.

Advice to Management

Let teachers teach - stop thinking that data is correct. Not everyone wants to be called weekly - and not everyone likes being told they are awesome.

"Job goes with you"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Pay is good comparatively
    -Benefits are great
    -If you love being on the phone 24/7 and the computer this job is for you!

Cons

-It is non-stop and you will get calls all the time, regardless if you are off for Holidays or Vacation
    -Principals are inexperienced at what the teacher does and has a very high expectation and truly do not realize how long things take
    -The longer you stay / the more is expected.
    -There is a high turnover so more "experienced" teachers are expected to pick up the slack. Adding to an already overly stressed schedule
    -Management LOVES the youngsters / if you are more chronologically gifted, you will get a lot of students, however, no moves upward

Advice to Management

-Set a max # of students and stick to it. Base it on areas taught
    -Have consistency, many teachers rarely call and others are calling all the time for the same pay
    -Management should experience being a teacher, not short term, for 2 months to fully understand the complexity of this job

"Take the good with the bad"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor, Mathematics in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor, Mathematics in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Remote opportunity, great benefits, ability to set your own schedule

Cons

Management more interested in numbers than students, most of the students cheat and there is nothing you can do about it

Advice to Management

Focus on students and not your bottom line - if students cheat they need to be KICKED OUT and stop blaming the teachers - we want to teach not operate a call center.

6. "I love my job, not my hours"

Current Employee - Spanish Teacher in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Spanish Teacher in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work from home, no discipline problems. I love being able to help students individually as needed. Colleagues and administration are all helpful and friendly.

Cons

Too many hours in the evening. You have to work mostly from 3 to 7, so it can be tough if you have small children. I don't have small kids, but I wished we could be done around 6. Too many students per teacher. I wish we had less students so I could really concentrate on helping each one of them.

Advice to Management

Decrease student load - 100-120 students per teacher would be ok. It would be better for students if teachers could dedicate more time to each one of them as needed.

7. "Not too bad"

I worked at Florida Virtual School part-time

Pros

There was good work hours
    usually nice kids

Cons

They changed the teaching programs a lot

"Didn't get hired at FLVS? Be glad."

Current Employee - Instructional Leader
    Current Employee - Instructional Leader

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The flexibility of working from home (but don't tell HR that or you won't get the job)

Cons

The new CEO is out to ruin the company - or is it a school? Even the Board can't decide. It's not "cutting edge teaching", It's a credit mill. The HR management staff have zero experience in education which is why qualified teachers who apply are always overlooked.

Advice to Management

Listen to your teachers. We need a union to stop this relentless firing of qualified staff who make the insecure CEO feel threatened. There is no room for leadership opportunities because of the cliques she establishes and supports. Its no wonder the former CEO took "Integrity" out of our core values.

"Highly Effective Means Nothing"

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

Work from home opportunities/ remote employment.

Cons

FLVS requires work from 8am-8pm and they will assign those who are effective and efficient busy work to make sure that you are at your desk 12 hours. Management showed no interest in individualizing education or in making sure that learning goals were met. They were interested in pushing students through quickly.

Teachers have close to 200 students in their classrooms and can wake up daily to 50-100 assignments that require grading. Managers want 40-50 out-going calls each day, and also expect 24/7 responsiveness to texts and emails. Expect health problems, like weight gain, blood pressure irregularity, etc from being seated for 12 hours a day.

The salary increases are intermittently frozen. Being highly effective does not guarantee your continued employment, advancement, or increase in salary. If you have been with FLVS for a while and are paid higher than the minimum, they may find a reason to fire you or force you to resign to higher a cheaper replacement.

If you are a mom of a young child, expect to be targeted. The need for work-life balance is seen as a problem among some managers.

"Everyone is replaceable" was the tagline my last manager repeatedly stated.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees.

"NO JOB SECURITY AT ALL"

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, you can use the bathroom whenever you want (if you are a teacher you know what I mean)

Cons

If you have ever worked for a public school before, you have benefitted from the teacher's union and job protection whether you realize it or not. I have been a teacher for 15 years... 10 with the county and 5 with FLVS. While working for public schools, I've dealt with supportive administration and I've also dealt with incompetent ones who tried to treat me unfairly and blind side me. However, I always had a union representative to intervene and arbitrate when I worked for the county. I know there are cons to it being hard to fire teachers with the public school districts but if you are a good teacher, it does provide some protection from getting fired for a single mistake. At FLVS, if an IL (priniciple) comes after you or chooses not to support you, you will get fired. It will not matter how great your evaluations are. It will not matter how amazing you are. It will not matter how much blood and sweat you have given to that institution. You will be fired and now you will have to find a job and on your applications when asked your reason for leaving, what will you say? You will need to say you left because you were fired. FLVS does not care at all about their teachers. They never see your face and they are run like a corporation so you are just a disposable, replaceable means to an end (that end being money). Florida is a right to work (or as I say right to fire people) state which means a company can fire you for ANY reason other than blatant discrimination. Also, you will work evenings and I don't mean grading papers for a few hours. I mean you will be on the phone with parents and students until 7 or 8pm. Again, if you don't mind working evenings and if you are okay with getting fired at the drop of a hat then go for it. The one benefit is ho w nice most of the other teachers are but that can also be a con since no one speaks up and says anything about the problems the school has, including some very incompetent managers. I have decided to start the process of starting my own business and am leaving the company (since I feel safer working for myself). The company used to be amazing and great to work for. Teachers used to have to work weekends and even that was easier than dealing with some of the unreasonable managers.

Advice to Management

Treat teachers like professionals. If you feel there is something wrong TALK TO THEM the same way you would want someone to talk to you. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Don't assume they are purposely not doing what you want them to. Be clear with your expectations and managers should have a little more tact and confidence.