Florida Virtual School Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Jodi Marshall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "There is no job security at all and hard work is not rewarded" (in 19 reviews)

• "if you aren't disciplined, you won't get your things done within the allotted time frame, work-life balance can be thrown off if you aren't careful" (in 17 reviews)

1. "Great environment"

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

Flexibility time off vacation fun

Cons

None none none none none

Advice to Management

No e

2. "Limited Career Opportunity"

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, Work Life Balance, Good for stay-home parents, Saving gas money

Cons

No job security, No union to protect your job

Advice to Management

As we all pay taxes, please don't limit your employees' potential.

What is the problem if your employees have more than one job if they can do their jobs effectively?

3. "Instructor"

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, one to one teaching.

Cons

Not union based, not having Summers off.

Advice to Management

N/A

4. "Long hours"

Former Employee - Teacher in Bangor, ME
    Former Employee - Teacher in Bangor, ME

I worked at Florida Virtual School (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working from home, made good friends, flexibility when I chose to work

Cons

Overworked, low pay scale, year round, only certain positions are allowed to work from out of state

Advice to Management

Treat people fairly and truly put the student at the center of your decisions (not renewing contracts because of where someone lives is not cool).

"Teacher or other position is ok, Lead Teacher role is horrible"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Hialeah, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Hialeah, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School (More than 3 years)

Pros

set your schedule for the most part, work from home or anywhere in Florida in your pajamas, go to the gym or the doctor without having to ask for time off, most managers are very human and understanding. I was a teacher for 2 years and I loved it. I worked 40 hours a week and if I worked more hours on Mondays and Tuesdays, I was able to set myself up for very light Fridays. 2 weeks off at Christmas, 1 week off for the 4th of July, 3 days for Thanksgiving and all the regular bank holidays company-wide

Cons

if you aren't disciplined, you won't get your things done within the allotted time frame, work-life balance can be thrown off if you aren't careful. Lead Teacher position is very stressful and you don't make any more than as a teacher. 12 month position and you can only take one week off at a time. For upper level management/administrators, the company tends to hire from the outside.

Advice to Management

Consider hiring from within, you are losing a lot of stellar and talented employees who are frustrated with not being able to move up in the company. Everyone started with no experience at some point. Lead Teachers need to make more money and the role needs to be restructured. It's not something that is sustainable.

6. "Toxic work environment"

Current Employee - Staffing Technician in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Staffing Technician in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexibility with your schedule
    -Great benefits

Cons

-Little opportunity for growth
    -Very cutthroat environment
    -Micromanaging and controlling with the process

7. "Best Place for Teachers"

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

Flexible, supportive, unique, better pay and good for teachers who want to be more involved.

Cons

Being on call 12 hours per day is tough but certainly manageable.

8. "Great Place to Work (if you live in Florida)"

Current Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility and work from home/anywhere is huge! Benefits are great compared to most places in the US. Teachers are paid more to begin with than most school districts. People are friendly and very helpful. Working one-on-one with the students is an absolute awesome experience.

Cons

They have started to be a butt about working anywhere but in Florida. If you leave the state even for a brief time and plan to work, they complain. Forcing current grandfathered employees to move back to Florida or lose their jobs - government BS. If you have more than 10 years experience, than you might actually take a pay cut at first. Today's students/parents are too demanding and need immediate gratification. If they don't know something, it is your fault (even though you actually never teach them directly). If you teach a high school subject, then plan on working mostly when spouse and children are home from work/school during the week. Evaluation is mostly based on a live lesson you teach once a week to students you have no knowledge about - can be a good thing or bad thing based on how your IL rates your lesson. Trying to move up the career ladder is not really viable unless you want to work in Orlando at their main office.

Advice to Management

Tell FLDOE to allow out-of-state workers who work from home. I know they are giving you guys BS about funding, but tell them you get better candidates/educators outside of Florida for the most part (those who are great have left the state of Florida or plan to). Your "allowable" 3-rules to hire out-of-state employees is a joke and can never be met by anyone living out-of-state. Train staff members outside of instructors to realize today's families have unrealistic expectations and manners about when to receive services. Immediate gratification is not acceptable and don't blame instructors for not meeting that expectation, even if they are meeting FLVS requirements by far.

"Adjunct Instructor"

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with students to help them graduate.

Cons

Very formulaic, lots of CYA paperwork.

"Everything is great except "mindshare" surveys..."

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good teammates, flexible work environment for intrinsically driven individuals.

Cons

So much of our end of year ratings are made up of student survey data - teenagers who are mad at teachers for doing their job can rip them apart on these surveys without the teachers having the ability to respond. All of the data points count, even outliers like "0" out of 10 scores. Mathematically inappropriate and certainly does not make teachers feel valued.

Advice to Management

Get rid of those surveys, or if you're not willing to do so, don't link them to teacher evaluation scores. It's bad practice.