Florida Virtual School Reviews | Glassdoor

Florida Virtual School Reviews

Updated February 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • I love that I can work from home, volunteer at my kids' schools, and spend so much time with my family (in 100 reviews)

• Able to work a flexible schedule and many of the students were hard working (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no job security at all and hard work is not rewarded (in 18 reviews)

• can feel overwhelming at times, work/life balance takes time to get on track (in 13 reviews)

"Type A Personalities Only!"

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

Flexibility, no discipline issues, other than engaging non workers. Professional Edu opportunities, low key work environment.

Cons

Salary - everyone paid equally, so 20 years same as 1 year novice. Vacation time isn't "truly" vacation time if taking a week off, grading and other obligations build up, little sub coverage and up to teachers to secure with colleagues. Never more than two weeks off at a time - difficult to block longer vacations. Overall, peaceful, harmonious environment because you work from home, but YOU must be self motivated and organized--no slackers. We work long hours and from home, work never stops, so you must walk away and close your office door.

Advice to Management

Step salary like brick and mortar schools, for seasoned instructors with 15+ years experience in brick and mortar. Teachers with experience really deserve steps for their service. Wisdom is priceless.

"Challenging"

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule; relationship with students and parents; loved my peers; good benefits.

Cons

Long hours - worked 8 to 8, including weekends. Difficult to find coverage for vacations. Constant flux in approach to online teaching. Surveys were skewed.

Advice to Management

Listen to teachers. Work/Life balance is more than a talking point - support teachers in making this a reality.

3. "Great company"

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

Good, laid back culture to work for. Been with the firm for almost for years. The last two have afforded the ability to work remote.

Cons

Mostly none. The downside is the low-turnover so no real room for advancemt.

"Great work/life balance and benefits, few advancement opportunities"

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

18 holidays, 2 weeks off for Christmas, 3 days off for 4th of July holiday, lots of sick and vacation time, EXCELLENT medical benefits, passionate staff

Cons

Salary not as high as industry standards, not many opportunities for advancement in IT, company has lost its entrepreneureal spirit since Julie Young (founder) left.

Advice to Management

Bring back some of that innovative energy. Provide opportunities for advancement and training to IT staff.

6. "Online Instructor Job @ FLVS"

Current Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, flexibility, great colleagues, staff development, good salary, excellent benefits.

Cons

Change is constant and sometimes direction from leadership can seem contradictory. Sometimes can get boring and you have to learn to manage your time and seek social outlets on your own.l

Advice to Management

I love what Ms. Blocker (new CEO) has done but leadership needs to be more consistent.

"Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, holidays, salary, technology

Cons

nepotism, alone, hard to advance

Advice to Management

Keep working on it

8. "Course Technologist"

Pros

Full-time work from home, great autonomy, benefits and salary

Cons

Constant restructuring of departments and policies led to a feeling of insecurity in your position.

"Don't work here"

Current Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It can be great if you have a good manager but there are very few good ones.

Cons

No job security. No leadership. Often no warnings or help if you accidentally do something wrong. They will just fire you. Since you don't work face to face it's easy for management to treat employees badly.

Advice to Management

See your employees as people not just a ss number.

"Love FLVS!"

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for FLVS is the happiest I have EVER been in my career. I love my students. My colleagues are simply amazing, including my Instructional Leader (principal). Everyone has been incredibly supportive since day one. I get to create my own schedule and I can be super flexible and work around my family (meaning I can attend events at my son's school, go to appointments, have a light day if I'm sick, etc. without having to take any time off). I have more meaningful relationships with my students here than I ever did when I was teaching in brick and mortar, which I didn't expect at all. I used to go to bed every night dreading the next day when I was teaching in brick and mortar...completely the opposite at FLVS. I'm also getting paid about $10,000 than I was in my county.

Cons

First, you have to be willing to wait. The process to get this job took me two years, total. People thought I was crazy when I kept telling them I was in the "hiring pool" and would be hired once a position became available. But that's the way it works. It took me a year to get into the hiring pool, and then another year of sitting in the hiring pool without hearing anything. I was very fortunate to be in a position where I was able to wait and then basically drop everything to work here.

Most importantly, this job is NOT for everyone. A lot of the negativity I see here sounds like people weren't prepared for the job and just expected to sit at home all day. It's a TEACHING job, it's hard work people! Yes, the benefits are many, but if you can't be organized while still being able to roll with the punches and be available to your students when they need you, you need to look elsewhere. Yes, FLVS is very customer-service oriented and at times you'll feel like you're letting a student/parent win, but those times have been rare. Plus, my Instructional Leader always backs me up. The job is very overwhelming at first, but if you can make it through the first 6 months, the rest will be bliss. You kind of have to look at it like you're a first year teacher all over again...you're learning a COMPLETELY different style of teaching and managing your classroom, and you CANNOT be someone who is "stuck in their ways." Willingness to learn and being flexible are key. It also helps to be a good mediator and not someone who is confrontational or has to have the last word constantly! Being a quick technology learner is a huge bonus as well because you will have to learn 3-4 different systems.

As a side note, I will say I've heard some horror stories about Instructional Leaders who are not as supportive as mine...I'm sure that has a big effect on how happy you are with the job...but I have zero complaints about mine.

Advice to Management

Make the hiring process more straight-forward

"Instructor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

Professional Development is very good.

Cons

Run........worst job you could ever get. This job is the top worst job I ever have accepted in education. It is a system used to push kids through as fast as possible and save the state and counties money. 24/7 job, you should only consider if you are single without children. Be prepared to be chained to your desk or cell phone and to work like a dog. Your salary....laughable.

Advice to Management

Get training on how to effectively evaluate your staff. Support is nonexistent.