Flour Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "electrician helper"

Former Employee - Electrician in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Electrician in Baytown, TX

I worked at Flour full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great experience good people learn alot

Cons

I not have any

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

2. "Too good to be true? It really is."

Former Employee - Front Counter Staff
    Former Employee - Front Counter Staff

I worked at Flour part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

True to the previous comments, the people here at Flour do have kind personalities... Sort of.
    They really seems like they are the kind of people who do try their best to help someone out as much as they can... Sort of.
    Also, another good thing is that they REALLY are into the whole customer service part where they really want their customers to have the best service and food possible. So they not bad people... Sort of.

Cons

No job security at all. None. No warning about anything, no write-ups or warnings about anything I may have done badly, and just got booted out as fast as I got in.
    I got fired just about a week later after I got hired, because I was “bringing everyone down because I was too inexperienced” even though I had little to no experience working in a bakery to begin with. And to make things worse, it was also during the TRAINING process too. Yay...
    Which is surprising, considering that they would make you do a “stage shift” during the interview process (as in actually make you do the job for a few hours first) to see if you were going to be a good fit anyways.
    I’m extremely disappointed in this company, considering I was checking reviews about this place first and saw how incredibly good the ratings were for this place.

Advice to Management

Since I only got a chance to work there for not even a whole week, I can’t say much about management other than saying that they do look like they are great at what they are doing, considering I’ve been through even worse management before.
    Other than that, I know that I’m not entitled to a job and that termination can happen at any time; but I still can’t help but to feel genuinely disappointed considering this company wanted someone to make a commitment to work here for at least six months only to fired them in a much shorter time due to inconveniences?

"A customer experience like no other"

Former Employee - Front of House Staff in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Front of House Staff in Boston, MA

I worked at Flour part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, opportunity for growth, employee discount, great food and drinks, Flour is a family, flexible with hours and availability

Cons

Fast-pace, can be stressful, Flour is heavily trafficked by locals and tourists alike, long hours on your feet

Advice to Management

Transparency, managers need to better communicate with their employees

"good company, low wages"

Pros

great atmosphere, great people, free lunch

Cons

pay is very low for being in Boston, most locations have no parking for employees that drive

"good job"

Pros

love to do the baking

Cons

hard work and physical labor

6. "Flour Bakery"

Pros

Friendly staff, lots of food benefits, proper training, flexible schedule, room for growth, growing company, nice customer, quality products

Cons

Food service will always have certain challenges, high expectations, not a lot of down time, have to deal with lots of customers in a timely fashion

7. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Baker in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Baker in Boston, MA

I worked at Flour part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere, and the people who work there are awesome - you'll actually look forward to going to work. Joanne Chang, the owner, knows every one of her employees' names, and truly motivates her team. The business is constantly growing so there is a lot of room for advancement, and there is a lot of feedback about your performance. No one is paid minimum wage - one of Joanne's missions is to make her employees' lives better, and that includes paying them a living wage. There are also many events for staff outside of work (like pizza parties, staff meals, holiday parties, etc.) that really allow you to build great relationships with other employees. Flour is also a great place to learn to be a better baker because the passionate employees love to teach, and entry-level bakers are not automatically turned away. Overall, a great place to work.

Cons

As more locations are added, management is a little more strained, and sometimes training goals can be overlooked.

Advice to Management

Be conscious of what is lost when you grow too quickly. Otherwise keep up the great work!

"Great company culture, serious business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Flour full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Well organized
    -Always making meaningful improvements to process
    -Owner Joanne Chang knows each and every employees name
    -Staff that were a bad match for the company did not hang around or removed appropriately
    -Employees fairly treated, especially long term

Cons

The bakery was almost too popular for its own good. That popularity means very hard work. The "rushes" here can be rough. People that can handle it are treated well but pay could have been slightly better for the work but was definitely fair compared to most places in the area.

9. "Fantastic place to work."

Current Employee - Front of House Counter Staff in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Front of House Counter Staff in Boston, MA

I have been working at Flour part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Shift leaders and managers listen and follow through with ideas suggested to make the bakery better. Employees are allowed bottomless coffee/tea while working.

Cons

Hourly rate is fair for the responsibilities of employees, but is not great enough to live off of when providing for a family.

"Fantastic team to work with."

Former Employee - Front of House in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Front of House in Boston, MA

I worked at Flour full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always busy, super friendly co-workers who really know the meaning of teamwork, honest and receptive managers. I seriously loved working at Flour and miss it still. I really felt like I had a family at work and always looked forward to work everyday! There are also countless opportunities to move into a different position within the company, and they are completely willing to train a newbie on the in's and outs of a kitchen/bakery as long as you have the passion and good attitude to go with it.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any. The management is always incredibly receptive to your needs as an employee and I have never had a problem.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work guys, you are doing everything right.