Flour Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Joanne Chang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I love it here"

I have been working at Flour part-time

Pros

ANY job in the food service industry is difficult, but Flour really shows that they care about their employees. There's a board in the kitchen where employees can write compliments for each other, management is flexible and understanding that life happens, Joanne actually knows everyone's name, you get a free meal per shift, at least a 15 min break for only a 6 hour shift, they rotate employees to various stations to avoid burnout, its just a very empathetic place to work in.

Cons

none as of right now

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

2. "Okay Pay, Great Benefits, Great People."

Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Barista in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Flour full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and possible 401k package.
    Free meal during a shift.
    Delicious Food.
    Efficient workplace.
    Well managed.

Cons

Hard work for average pay.
    Customers.

3. "good people"

Current Employee - Counter Staff
    Current Employee - Counter Staff

I have been working at Flour part-time (More than a year)

Pros

very customer focused, good benefits, provides staff meal, management is open to change if/when necessary

Cons

low wages, nothing else to add

4. "Too good to be true? It really is."

Former Employee - Front Counter Staff
    Former Employee - Front Counter Staff

I worked at Flour part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

True to the previous comments, the people here at Flour do have kind personalities... Sort of.
    They really seems like they are the kind of people who do try their best to help someone out as much as they can... Sort of.
    Also, another good thing is that they REALLY are into the whole customer service part where they really want their customers to have the best service and food possible. So they not bad people... Sort of.

Cons

No job security at all. None. No warning about anything, no write-ups or warnings about anything I may have done badly, and just got booted out as fast as I got in.
    I got fired just about a week later after I got hired, because I was “bringing everyone down because I was too inexperienced” even though I had little to no experience working in a bakery to begin with. And to make things worse, it was also during the TRAINING process too. Yay...
    Which is surprising, considering that they would make you do a “stage shift” during the interview process (as in actually make you do the job for a few hours first) to see if you were going to be a good fit anyways.
    I’m extremely disappointed in this company, considering I was checking reviews about this place first and saw how incredibly good the ratings were for this place.

Advice to Management

Since I only got a chance to work there for not even a whole week, I can’t say much about management other than saying that they do look like they are great at what they are doing, considering I’ve been through even worse management before.
    Other than that, I know that I’m not entitled to a job and that termination can happen at any time; but I still can’t help but to feel genuinely disappointed considering this company wanted someone to make a commitment to work here for at least six months only to fired them in a much shorter time due to inconveniences?

5. "electrician helper"

Former Employee - Electrician in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Electrician in Baytown, TX

I worked at Flour full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great experience good people learn alot

Cons

I not have any

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"A customer experience like no other"

Former Employee - Front of House Staff in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Front of House Staff in Boston, MA

I worked at Flour part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, opportunity for growth, employee discount, great food and drinks, Flour is a family, flexible with hours and availability

Cons

Fast-pace, can be stressful, Flour is heavily trafficked by locals and tourists alike, long hours on your feet

Advice to Management

Transparency, managers need to better communicate with their employees

"good company, low wages"

Pros

great atmosphere, great people, free lunch

Cons

pay is very low for being in Boston, most locations have no parking for employees that drive

"good job"

Pros

love to do the baking

Cons

hard work and physical labor

9. "Flour Bakery"

Pros

Friendly staff, lots of food benefits, proper training, flexible schedule, room for growth, growing company, nice customer, quality products

Cons

Food service will always have certain challenges, high expectations, not a lot of down time, have to deal with lots of customers in a timely fashion

10. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Baker in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Baker in Boston, MA

I worked at Flour part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere, and the people who work there are awesome - you'll actually look forward to going to work. Joanne Chang, the owner, knows every one of her employees' names, and truly motivates her team. The business is constantly growing so there is a lot of room for advancement, and there is a lot of feedback about your performance. No one is paid minimum wage - one of Joanne's missions is to make her employees' lives better, and that includes paying them a living wage. There are also many events for staff outside of work (like pizza parties, staff meals, holiday parties, etc.) that really allow you to build great relationships with other employees. Flour is also a great place to learn to be a better baker because the passionate employees love to teach, and entry-level bakers are not automatically turned away. Overall, a great place to work.

Cons

As more locations are added, management is a little more strained, and sometimes training goals can be overlooked.

Advice to Management

Be conscious of what is lost when you grow too quickly. Otherwise keep up the great work!