Flowers Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Flowers Foods President and CEO Allen L. Shiver
Allen L. Shiver

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent benefits and good pay (in 20 reviews)

• Good benefits, great potential long term career opportunities (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work 7 days a week and long hours (in 32 reviews)

• Long hours, no work-life balance, all employees are expendable (in 7 reviews)

"Flowers Food Has Put Me In The Poor House."

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Landover, MD

Pros

Easy purchasing terms. No down payment, flexible credit terms. Anyone with a pulse can own a nature's own bread route.

Cons

Heartless management, dissapearing percentages has left me very little to live on. Some weeks because of slow sales, truck repairs or because they freaking feel like it; i may not even get a paycheck after 70hrs of work.

Advice to Management

Slavery is illegal in all 50 states. Treat us with respect instead of something you scrape off the bottom of your shoes.

"Stay away stay far away"

Current Employee - Route Sales Owner in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Route Sales Owner in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Work by yourself and are able to work without a supervisor breathing down your neck most of the time

Cons

They will give you a big allowance when you start and pait a wonderful picture just to get you to buy a route. Once you are there for a 6 months to a year they will start to cut that allowance. I work 60 hours a week and 7 days a week andI am only bring home $400.00 a week average. I was promised $1000.00 to buy the route. This is a real scam as I am seeing. I should have believed the other route drivers in Oklahoma city that told me this before I bought a route. This is happening to many of us here. Many more have quite cause of this.

Advice to Management

Keep your word. Relize you will make more money if you take care of the ones working hard for you.

"Route owner has no backing very one sided."

Current Employee - Route Sales Owner in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Owner in San Diego, CA

Pros

Fast growing company. Some day we (R/O) might make money.

Cons

Company growing on the backs of the route owners.

Advice to Management

Help the route owners before they go bankrupt, can not afford to keep up with growth of low volume accounts.

"Management Buddy Hire System, Piedmont Triad, North Carolina"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Flowers Foods full-time

Pros

There are no pros working for this company

Cons

In the piedmont NC area. Branch Managent and Assistant Mgmt.are either kin or best buddies. And if they have a friend who wants a job, they will start harassing a worker that they have no liking for in hopes they will quit. Their most used words are, I'm going to fire you., I'm going to write you up, Total verbal harrassment every day and hour you are on the job. Very much a imtimidating and hostile company.

Advice to Management

Need to put their friendship aside that they have with the Branch Management and listen more to the workers.

"This is Hell."

Current Employee - Indexer in Brattleboro, VT
    Current Employee - Indexer in Brattleboro, VT

I have been working at Flowers Foods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The compensation is the only good thing about working here. You soon learn that money isn't everything. Some people are nice and helpful but they're quick to shut you down the moment you make an honest mistake. It's awesome having one 10 minute break after a 12 hr. shift. :( This place is great for people who aren't going anywhere in life, are considering suicide, and love choking on flower dust to the point of which you pass out and end up in a pile of moldy bread that's being shipped to the nearest pig farm.

Cons

The factory can get very hot in the summer. Up to 110 degrees!! The management is absolutely clueless and they are very demeaning to their employees. They do not train you and they expect you to know everything the moment you walk in.

Advice to Management

You should all be fired because your holding this company back. Treat your employees with respect and maybe they won't walk off the job!!

"Not a Lean manufacturing facility"

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Denton, TX

I worked at Flowers Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay and benefits, Outstanding safety training (Kudos Doc!)

Cons

Poor work/life balance, total lack of employee engagement and empowerment, any efforts/suggestions for industry standard process improvements are discourage. Generally, extremely poor "shop floor" employee moral.The only issues causing more concern than the facility's sanitation techniques are upper management's moral and ethical values. Poor follow-through by the maintenance manager to ensure adequate parts, supplies and training are provided, little support from all but one lead, one supervisor, and one assistant chief engineer my 2-year experience there (Kudos Nguyen, John, and Jeff!)

Advice to Management

Better education and training in Lean manufacturing and Six Sigma certification requirements for Lead + positions would reduce scrap and increase production. A shift from "reactive" to Total Productive Maintenance would decrease unplanned maintenance significantly, reducing the need for mandatory overtime. Any planning and scheduling between maintenance and production would enable at the very least the facilitation of a ‘reasonably” effective preventative maintenance plan. The maintenance plans (work cards) in a majority of instances do not coincide with the equipment in place. Considering the facility has been operational for over 8 years (at the time) and this has not been corrected speaks volumes of the mismanagement of the department head’s lack of dedication to improve conditions, processes, and efficiency as well as extreme lack of education, experience, and proficiency for the position.

7. "Not what they say they are Bailey St is not safe place to work"

Current Employee - Engineering in North Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Engineering in North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Flowers Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are no Pros Here, you will get screwed

Cons

Management could care less if you work hard to try & to get promoted ,If you are not one of the good old boys your S.O.L Management at Plant level needs to be looked at, along with HR
    they THINK THEY CAN GET OVER ON EVERYONE, You can not trust anyone there,

Advice to Management

Clean house

"distributor"

Current Contractor - Independent Distributor in Charlotte, NC
    Current Contractor - Independent Distributor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Flowers Foods as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

good money but not worth all the time it takes and bull you have to put up with from dishonest managers.

Cons

company screws you out of money. This used to be a great company to work with but has become almost unbearable over the last year.

Advice to Management

I will love to see the day when you idiots run this company into the ground.

"sales manger"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Flowers Foods full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many pros. Most unorganized company I have ever seen

Cons

Horrible work environment. Long days caused by unorganized management.

"You can do better than this"

Former Contractor - Independent Distributor in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Contractor - Independent Distributor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Flowers Foods as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You can own a distributorship with no money down

Cons

Long long hours, seven days a week because you cant afford help, too many unprofitable stops that take up your day