Flowers Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Flowers Foods President and CEO Allen L. Shiver
Allen L. Shiver

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay for the work you're doing (in 19 reviews)

• Good benefits, great potential long term career opportunities (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours,minimal compensation for hard work (in 30 reviews)

• Long hours, no work-life balance, all employees are expendable (in 7 reviews)

1. "Any Job Is Better Than This!!!!! Save Yourself.!! RUN!!!"

Current Employee - Route Delivery Driver in North East, PA
    Current Employee - Route Delivery Driver in North East, PA

I have been working at Flowers Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your "Somewhat" out on your own all day. lots of overtime.

Cons

They are Comstantly not picking things. No personal life once you start here. If you don't end up buying the route your covering, you will be "Let Go" and they will make up some Fake Reason Why.. They don't tell you when you start that when the route your on is built up enough for them to sell and make plenty of money on, that if you don't buy it, your no longer needed. Ask anyone who owns a route.. They were once the same as you, Basicly a Temp because your not even hired by Flowers or actually Work for Flowers. You work for a hiring agency and They are the ones paying you..

Advice to Management

Stop contacting workers andet them work. They Don't know yet that the areal Reaskn your doing this js because you want to sell the route to them or fire them if they are smart enough not to take it..

2. "Poor unguided representation of anything that resembles professionalism. Upper level management is the root of it all."

Pros

There is a healthy paycheck that can be earned at the route sales level if you simply pay attention to trends of what is selling and what is not. Sales Managers are in place to assist the route salesman with that portion of things; however, their is also another manager that is "supposed" to be working at each location and they are the best source I of knowledge for operational duties of the route salesmen I and many have I been with the company for a long period of time, so they are best suited to provide the knowledge of how day to day operations can be running smoothly, and often know the little details that do make a sizeable difference in your paycheck in the end. Sales Managers are the ones that are the numbers roles, and can be of great assistance so long as you are willing to heed their advice. Best in mind they are in the position they are due to being educated on how business and Dollars relate to one another, and what it is good for the Sales Mangers is having the sales reps pushing to sell more product and gain space in the stores. They are very willing to help the sales reps so long as the sales reps are willing to apply themselves as well.

Cons

Bear in mind I used the term "supposed to be a manager under the sales manager." That was not true for my entire time with the company alrhough there was someone that held that title and received that paycheck, but he was going into his 9th or 10th month of being away from his home and where he was supposed to be employed. During my time I was expected to fulfill my duties of learning my position, learning the duties of the other other manager, as well as knowing how the sales reps jobs are done. Being so that the sales reps feel overworked and have a general hatred for any level of management because they view them as "the company". I was trained by my superior for a total of 4 days that were spiratically​ separated out over 6 weeks time. The sales reps had zero issue with verbally abusing me, not doing as they are supposed to be in accordance with DOT regulations or anything additional passed that which was being passed down to me from corporate to take care of these issues. So as any Manager should do with acts insubordination, you revert to penalties that if compounded will cost you your job. My superior was Avery against that and did not want me doing that. So now I'm a manager with no tools to manage and have employees aware that I'm powerless to them really. So it makes sense they would tell me no constantly. I won't go further into things or details, but the company is a nightmare that is full of smoke and mirrors and bad habits from people who know very little about how a business need to be run.

Due to the above, that creates high employee turnover rates, as any intelligent person gets out as soon as they can because it's not a good environment for anyone. Managers then spend countless additional hours picking up the slack and never are fully capable of doing their job well. So then they quit. It's a cyclical company of turmoil and won't change until they realign upper management and establish teams of employees that are quality individuals who will push to succeed. Never I happen though. So it's a nightmare now, and will remain so

Advice to Management

Promoting from within is great, but management needs management training from accredited sources, and it should be hard to obtain those credentials, took the most of of us 4 years to know the outline and 5 years experience to learn how it applies to topics within the world.

"Engineer Mgmt,"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Flowers Foods (More than 10 years)

Pros

The used to care a bout there employees

Cons

ALL about the good old boy system,

Advice to Management

Needs a uion to get thing right

"Racism still exists"

Former Employee - User Services Analyst
    Former Employee - User Services Analyst

I worked at Flowers Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I started my Director made me feel like I could do no wrong. Learned after Directors were swapped around that I did not receive all the training I needed due to my lead not training anyone only wanting the person I was replacing to do the training but she was never there for more than half a day while training.

Cons

Management in IT are not there for employees. Some are racist and as a white male who doesn't suck up there isn't any room for you. She made me feel as though she felt I could not do the job and she didn't want me there.

Advice to Management

Make sure that your IT Directors are there for the company's good not their own.

5. "Route Distributor"

I worked at Flowers Foods full-time

Pros

Liked being my own boss

Cons

No communication. Long hours. Paycheck up and down.

Advice to Management

Need more open and honest communication

6. "Engineer"

I worked at Flowers Foods full-time

Pros

OK Compensation yet it is a difficult training process

Cons

Long hours,minimal compensation for hard work.

Advice to Management

Get a grip

7. "Independent Operators bullied by Managment"

Current Employee - Independent Operator in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Independent Operator in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Flowers Foods full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

full time work at a fair wage to start

Cons

No communication, after some time passes Flowers reduces commisions and stale allowable

"Dishonest"

Former Employee - Distributor in Elm City, NC
    Former Employee - Distributor in Elm City, NC

I worked at Flowers Foods (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job and a pay check that you will work your tale off for nothing more nothing less do not recommend

Cons

Dishonest management the only truth I got out of anybody was the distributors they were the only ones who would actually look me in the eye. It's pretty much a bait and hook type deal where they tell you your going to own your on biss hopping they can get you to sign a contract and lock you in there's no balance between home and work expect you to work 7 days a week no benefits what so ever. They even expect you to pay them to take vacation.

Advice to Management

Need more realistic views

"Not a true independent distributor"

Former Employee - Independent Distributor in Meridian, MS
    Former Employee - Independent Distributor in Meridian, MS

I worked at Flowers Foods (More than a year)

Pros

No good reason to become a distributor.

Cons

To much forced distribution. Long hours not worth the compensation.

Advice to Management

Independent distributors should truly be independent

"Dead End"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Flowers Foods (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros, Ha Ha! The top is too stupid, so I had job security. That's the only pro for working here.

Cons

Where to begin? This is a dead end job! Don't let anyone here tell you there's room for advancement, because there isn't. If there is, it's given to people that the top likes. Pure favoritism. The top has become too complacent, too stubborn, too self-centered that they do not care about the "ground troops". When you kill the roots of the tree, the tree will die!

Advice to Management

What happened to taking care of your employees? And I don't mean your corporate mindless dummy's. The people out in the trenches and the backbone of this company. The reason you're suffering is because you're using us a shields and blaming us for your failures, when you don't even look in the mirror. Remember, when you point a finger, there are 3 pointing back at you. Advice? Take care of the people who actually make you the money! Training. Not some dumb seminar, not some stupid video but some real SALES TRAINING. YOURE LOSING MONEY AND YOUR PEOPLE CANT TELL YOU WHY OR HOW TO MAKE YOU MONEY. We're mindless robots to do what you want us to do.