Flowers Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

Flowers Foods Reviews

Updated August 5, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay for the work you're doing (in 19 reviews)

• Good benefits, great potential long term career opportunities (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours,minimal compensation for hard work (in 30 reviews)

• Long hours, no work-life balance, all employees are expendable (in 7 reviews)

1. "This is a great company!"

Current Employee - Director of Human Resources
    Current Employee - Director of Human Resources

I have been working at Flowers Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company, that is always looking for the best ways to keep the company in business. Happy employee! Keep moving forward.

Cons

No negative comments. This is a forward thinking company. Doing great things for all worker. Keep moving forward. Thank you!

Advice to Management

Continue to become more engaged with your workforce.

2. "Sales"

I have been working at Flowers Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great for a big company

Cons

Some management skills at the bakery levels could be trained

3. "Ups and Downs"

I worked at Flowers Foods full-time

Pros

Good money. Easy work. If you are willing to commit all of your time to them, there is room for advancement.

Cons

Management shows no regards for employees. It feels like working at a sweat factory, long hours and no weekends off! Favoritism is high and since management is salary, they have no compassion for the many hours the hourly employees work.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate and compassionate with you hourly employees. Quality product is just as great as how much you get out!

4. "Account Manager at Flowers Foods"

I have been working at Flowers Foods full-time

Pros

The best reasons to be an account manager are the flexibility and the pay.

Cons

The company does not commit to proper training.

"Hang in there"

Former Employee - Sanitation in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sanitation in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Flowers Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hourly rate and close by home

Cons

Management not on the right track

Advice to Management

Too focus equally on cleanliness with production

6. "Poor unguided representation of anything that resembles professionalism. Upper level management is the root of it all."

Pros

There is a healthy paycheck that can be earned at the route sales level if you simply pay attention to trends of what is selling and what is not. Sales Managers are in place to assist the route salesman with that portion of things; however, their is also another manager that is "supposed" to be working at each location and they are the best source I of knowledge for operational duties of the route salesmen I and many have I been with the company for a long period of time, so they are best suited to provide the knowledge of how day to day operations can be running smoothly, and often know the little details that do make a sizeable difference in your paycheck in the end. Sales Managers are the ones that are the numbers roles, and can be of great assistance so long as you are willing to heed their advice. Best in mind they are in the position they are due to being educated on how business and Dollars relate to one another, and what it is good for the Sales Mangers is having the sales reps pushing to sell more product and gain space in the stores. They are very willing to help the sales reps so long as the sales reps are willing to apply themselves as well.

Cons

Bear in mind I used the term "supposed to be a manager under the sales manager." That was not true for my entire time with the company alrhough there was someone that held that title and received that paycheck, but he was going into his 9th or 10th month of being away from his home and where he was supposed to be employed. During my time I was expected to fulfill my duties of learning my position, learning the duties of the other other manager, as well as knowing how the sales reps jobs are done. Being so that the sales reps feel overworked and have a general hatred for any level of management because they view them as "the company". I was trained by my superior for a total of 4 days that were spiratically​ separated out over 6 weeks time. The sales reps had zero issue with verbally abusing me, not doing as they are supposed to be in accordance with DOT regulations or anything additional passed that which was being passed down to me from corporate to take care of these issues. So as any Manager should do with acts insubordination, you revert to penalties that if compounded will cost you your job. My superior was Avery against that and did not want me doing that. So now I'm a manager with no tools to manage and have employees aware that I'm powerless to them really. So it makes sense they would tell me no constantly. I won't go further into things or details, but the company is a nightmare that is full of smoke and mirrors and bad habits from people who know very little about how a business need to be run.

Due to the above, that creates high employee turnover rates, as any intelligent person gets out as soon as they can because it's not a good environment for anyone. Managers then spend countless additional hours picking up the slack and never are fully capable of doing their job well. So then they quit. It's a cyclical company of turmoil and won't change until they realign upper management and establish teams of employees that are quality individuals who will push to succeed. Never I happen though. So it's a nightmare now, and will remain so

Advice to Management

Promoting from within is great, but management needs management training from accredited sources, and it should be hard to obtain those credentials, took the most of of us 4 years to know the outline and 5 years experience to learn how it applies to topics within the world.

7. "Good job bad management"

Former Employee - Lidder in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Lidder in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Flowers Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like working in the food industry

Cons

People in supervision positions dont talk to you its like pulling teeth to get them to say good morning

Advice to Management

Better communication with employees give loyalty to the ones that or loyal to the company

"Engineer Mgmt,"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Flowers Foods (More than 10 years)

Pros

The used to care a bout there employees

Cons

ALL about the good old boy system,

Advice to Management

Needs a uion to get thing right

9. "Comfortable work, Kind management, awesome customers"

I have been working at Flowers Foods part-time

Pros

Get to meet a lot of people from the community. Useful inventory skills can be used down the line.

Cons

Occasionally short staff but it never gets busy enough to be a major problem.

10. "Shipping Clerk"

Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Memphis, TN

I worked at Flowers Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Overtime available but sometimes is mandatory.

Cons

At the time poor management, favoritism, inconsistent work schedule.