Flowers Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

Flowers Foods Reviews

Updated April 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good pay for the work you're doing (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits, great potential long term career opportunities (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours,minimal compensation for hard work (in 28 reviews)

• Long hours, no work-life balance, all employees are expendable (in 7 reviews)

"Maint. Engineer"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Flowers Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, hard working group. Free loafs of stale bread good benefits.

Cons

Cut throat back stabbing management. They make sure there is a loophole for the loophole when it comes to following the rules they wrote. Seniority is of the most importance (in their rule book) but in reality the buddy system rules all, Knowledge and experience doesnt matter. The training program is a joke but completion is needed to get a raise (cant train on equip that not being used in the facility)e.g. no raises. Communication reminds me of the preschool whisper in the ear pass the message game. If you're looking for a job this is the place for you if you are looking for your next solid career move keep looking. Complete waste of time and talent here.

Advice to Management

Try doing something that makes sense. Try hiring ppl that has experience and train those that dont. Get rid of the buddy system it creates a hostile work environment. Treat people with respect youre not gonna be happy until somebody goes postal in that bytch.

"negative"

Former Employee - Independent Distributor in Pelham, NC
    Former Employee - Independent Distributor in Pelham, NC

I worked at Flowers Foods (More than 10 years)

Pros

the only pros to this job is the money

Cons

no time off what so ever, no help from management. they could care less about you

Advice to Management

take care of you people they will take care of you

3. "Most of the staff are friendly."

I worked at Flowers Foods full-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers, the product is amazing.

Cons

The pay is very below what I'm accustomed to.

Advice to Management

Management is pretty good, but the salary needs to be adjusted upward.

"Made over $98,000 in Springfield Illinois! And I wish I never worked here."

Current Employee - Owner Operator Route Driver in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Owner Operator Route Driver in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Flowers Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The money you make the first few months and the other route driver's. Besides that? Absolutely nothing!

Cons

I work for Butternut bread IBC for 13 years and made almost $60 a year. I actually made more money there off 60 and I do at almost $100 at flowers. I read about all the horror stories on here about chargebacks and that is absolutely 100% true! Currently I have not been paid in 6 weeks. Now I've been here 3 years and when I started they promise all of us the would. That's a lie!
    Just like somebody on here said, "Don't be fool!" It's an illusion, Mirage whatever you want to call it? Or the truth, a lie!
    They don't care at all about any of us it's all about the company making money that's it. So they'll get rid of you in a second to bring in somebody with zero experience. Because they'll get your route for nothing and all the increase in value from your hard work they will pocket it when they resell it for three times more than they sold it to you. So after working 90 to 105 hours plus 7 days a week I'm done. This is my last week. No money is worth that! And if anybody thinks that's not bad? That you can handle it? Please, just tried to do that for 3 years without missing a single day and then three years we'll see where you're at? If you still feel the same way after you haven't gotten paid for 6 weeks and still owe them $3900.00 and have to go atleast 4 to 5 more weeks without a pay check.

An to all owner operator route driver's, your family's and you deserve a lot better than this! I know mine did. I'm divorce now. Like I said no money is worth that..

Advice to Management

First, stop hiring Wonder management anywhere they are the worst!! No clue whatsoever! They are the variety Kings of the bread vendors! Remember Dollar Generals were Wonder accounts. They have had forever and they also love having Walgreens and CVS and all the Casey's! Good luck because most likely you be bankrupt. Well, maybe not because we paid for everything that's right.

"If you want to give up your personal life to the greater good of making bread, THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU!"

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Flowers Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only aspect of my job that kept me at Flowers for so long, was my co-workers. We were a tightly knit group that worked well together. That is the only part of the job that made it hard to leave.

Cons

Nepotism. Over-management. Micro-management. Lack of communication, and above all else, you are made to feel small, unappreciated, and inferior. I have never been so depressed, or dissatisfied with my life as I was as a Flowers employee. Long story short, stay away. The grass is greener elsewhere.

Advice to Management

A pat on the back goes a long way.

7. "Production Technician"

Former Employee - Production Technician in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Production Technician in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Flowers Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Fairly easy work

Cons

No work-life balance. Expect to work every Saturday and Sunday. Very rude management, with no management skills from top down. Hot environments especially during summer. Treats employees like they're lesser than. Doesn't want to change after employees give them ways to change company culture and morale.

8. "Bad Company to work for"

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Flowers Foods (More than 5 years)

Pros

They eventually figure it out. Eventually you get promised days off. Great if you like disorganization.
    Product delivery from the warehouse is usually on time.

Cons

Very very long hours. You are taken advantage of. Asked to do jobs that are not your responsibility.
    Not always having the tools to do the job properly. Never enough room in the dumpsters. Bathroom in depot left something to be desired.

Advice to Management

Don't ask your employees to do something you can't accomplish yourself. you guys should pay attention to what is going on in your depots.

9. "the worst company ever"

I have been working at Flowers Foods full-time

Pros

Pros ? You must be kidding,Right ?

Cons

High security prison in Philadelphia

10. "This place is far from desirable. 3 months in and I'm already looking elsewhere."

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Flowers Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pays ok, but not really worth the constant micromanagement. Managers are robots that just seem to exist on catching employees doing wrong.

Cons

They treat you like you're a child. 10 minutes late with notice. Gig for Bean!! Way too much micromanagement and zero common sense.

Advice to Management

Use common sense. Instead of trying to write up your employees for every minor infraction, realize some of us have a skill and will be happy to take it elsewhere. You are not the only game in town. As I write this, I'm applying elsewhere and totally agree with the companies low score.

"Promises-promises"

Pros

Pay is well above average and increases quickly-frankly it's the only thing they've got to keep employees.

Cons

Horrible hours, low vacation-with restrictions of how you can take it, hot, nasty, uncomfortable uniforms, training is a joke, management lies with a smile on their face saying all the while they are treating you like "family"

Advice to Management

Have some morals and ethics, Stop lying. Live your company culture-if work/life balance is important and that everyone "feel like family" then treat your employees like family, give them better choices for their pto, rework hours so they can have quality time with their family...M and F off is a joke anyway and when you're working 10-12 hour days it's not enough time off to even get rested from the stressful, dangerous, aggrevating job.