Fluid Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Vanessa Cartwright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I've learnt a lot and met great people who gave me a lot either professionally and personally (in 9 reviews)

• More focus or work/life balance compared to other startup-ey companies, but some teams do have occasional crunch times (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Considering how small and intimate it is, it's incredible how much red tape pops up when it comes to resourcing, hiring, promoting, etc (in 4 reviews)

• Challenge to work with larger client portfolios, limited resources (in 2 reviews)

1. "Inspiring, passionate agency"

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Fluid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like most of the best companies to work for, it's all about the people. Fluid has a long standing culture nurtured by a core group people. It's super driven, always about moving forward and doing something innovative (and business impacting) and yet a lot of fun/quirky. Their list of clients is unrivaled in an agency their size -- Fender, Michael Kors, PUMA, Citi to name a few. They also groom and promote from within, with most of the senior leaders having moved up the ladder, and have an excellent gender balance.

Cons

Typical agency issues - sometimes the client work is there and sometimes it isn't, which leads to budgeting, resourcing and staffing swings.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting successes internally. People are working hard to make a difference and need to see solid career paths to go along with their efforts.

Start an office in London. Fluid is long overdue for a presence in Europe.

"Overall A Great Spot"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Fluid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great work-life balance
    - No micromanagement
    - Family-like environment
    - Lots of work remote flexibility
    - Talented colleagues

Fluid is a great place to work in general. It does pretty large-scale projects for big clients, and it takes takes the execution seriously when it comes to best practices in ecommerce. You will come out with a strong knowledge of UX here, especially led by the directors and C-suite creatives.

The health insurance here was wonderful.

The New York office gets nice, healthy groceries delivered each week, so there are nice food and beverages to enjoy.

This is not a stuffy, corporate environment, and so it has a nice feel to it.

Cons

Because it is small, there is limited space to grow here. Resources are heavily guarded, which is great for work-life balance, but sometimes that creates gaps between project work that can get a little too slow.

There can be a lack of shared mission between accounts and creative, but that seems par for the course in most work environments, let alone agencies.

The company seems to spend a lot of time promoting its products, when its real value lies in its expertise for user experience and best practices for ecommerce. As a result, they don't do a lot of "show-stopper" type of projects that agencies become famous for having in their portfolios. If they shifted their vision to simply utilize the talent they already have, this agency could be killing it.

Considering how small and intimate it is, it's incredible how much red tape pops up when it comes to resourcing, hiring, promoting, etc., and if you ask about it, everyone points to someone else. People only seem to get promoted on a directly as-needed basis, like when a big project comes in and one employee leaves, the person directly below them gets promoted however far up they can reasonably push them.

The office can be distracting. Management doesn't enforce any rules when it comes to dogs or kids. It's great to have an office that is welcoming of these things, but someone has to be willing to manage it -- an office should be a place where people can feel productive first. Any unnecessary noise should be managed better.

Advice to Management

In addition to the notes above, maybe flesh out benefits a bit to include maternity leave.

Use your resources and talent better. Either become a tech company and make products or become an agency and stop canoodling with the tech world -- go for the cool projects that your creative and project teams are already capable of producing.

3. "Great place, hard work."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fluid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Pretty good leadership. Decent sales / projects/

Cons

Typical agency life. Work you to your bones.

"Manager"

I worked at Fluid full-time

Pros

Great benefits for employees and families

Cons

Not a good work environment.

5. "Solid people & culture"

Pros

Genuinely caring and kind people. Feels like a family.

Cons

Work could be a little cookie-cutter. Not the best portfolio builder.

"Great People, awesome process"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

People are very supportive and the team is really a team: roles are well defined and that allows you to do your job and to contribute at your best. At the same time, you can expand your boundaries and skills and contribute to the project at 360°. They pay well, give you good benefits (at least for a contract) and you get a lot of flexibility. I've learnt a lot and met great people who gave me a lot either professionally and personally.
    Quality of the projects is very high.

Cons

I'd get better with the hiring process especially when it comes to the transition between contract to full time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the amazing work :)

"Sr. Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fluid full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked there for 7 years. Hands down it is the people. The people, the people, the people. An amazingly talented, intelligent, kind and fun group of individuals that I felt lucky to work with on a daily basis. That being said, I also worked with wonderful high-end clients and on a very diverse set of projects. I learned excellent skills here that makes me now feel confident when headed into any interview. I felt like I could make a mistake in this environment and could learn from it instead of being punished for it.

Cons

The company has grown a lot since I started there, and unfortunately I'm not sure that this is a good thing. The leadership also seems to be missing. The direction of the company is often unclear and ever changing, and transparency is more of an illusion.

Advice to Management

Get unified on your vision, find a way to clearly communicate it, and the rest will follow.

I often found that my obstacles to a project came from management/poor process versus the clients. Teams need to be supported in order to do their best and to feel inspired. Find a way to help remove the obstacles, not place them.

"Going nowhere, fast!"

Pros

The individual contributors and mid-level managers (in Oakland) are generally great people and do good work. Lots of good lunch spots near the office and its close to BART.

Cons

The founders and board are completely clueless. They received an initial $24m from investors in 2012 and have nothing to show for it. Large customers churn and they are not replaced by new subscriptions. Meanwhile, at company meetings, we get shown complex charts that only serve to obfuscate the fact that the company is not doing well.

Great people eventually leave or get laid off, because there is no future for them at Fluid. At one point, the company culture was decent, but they decided to move the office to Oakland and split the company into 4 wings across two floors and it fell apart. It took the extra effort of the employees to make the office not feel like an abandoned parking garage.

Advice to Management

1. The hybrid model of agency and product has failed. Do some soul searching and figure out if you want to be an agency or a software company. You cannot be both.

2. Get better at delivering bad news. I could tell when things weren't going well based on the frequency of the monthly company meeting. If the company was having a good quarter, the meeting would happen. Otherwise it would get rescheduled and pushed back several times, or there would be layoffs. I didn't hear a single negative thing in a monthly meeting, and I saw three separate rounds of layoffs in 18 months.

3. Get serious about your company. You rarely make appearances at company events and rarely come down from the fourth floor and talk to people. I get the sense that you don't really know or care about the people you employ.

"Great people, poor management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fluid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture and people are fantastic. Lot of freedom to think outside the box.

Cons

The management does not understand how the core products work and sell something that does not exist. Good news is passed on asap, but not the bad one.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees informed as to what is happening in the business. Stop running the company as one big agency.

10. "Great company, great team, great products"

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Fluid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at Fluid is very respectful and warm. The products are really fun to work on and they are experts in enhancing the digital shopping experience.

Cons

It's a small company so everyone is very busy all the time. Fluid is very accommodating and flexible in regards to telecommuting. This makes up for

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.