Fluid Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.4
Vanessa Cartwright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relaxed atmosphere with good work/life balance, and many engineers work from home (in 5 reviews)

• I've learnt a lot and met great people who gave me a lot either professionally and personally (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Small company means less resources and some inconsistent or undocumented processes (such as onboarding) (in 4 reviews)

• Clients can really be hit or miss (in 2 reviews)

"Great company culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Fluid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company culture, smart and fun people

Cons

Management can be hands off

"Great people, poor management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fluid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture and people are fantastic. Lot of freedom to think outside the box.

Cons

The management does not understand how the core products work and sell something that does not exist. Good news is passed on asap, but not the bad one.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees informed as to what is happening in the business. Stop running the company as one big agency.

3. "Challenging work, great people!"

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Fluid full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, ambitious strategy and very flexible environment to work in!
    The atmosphere in the office is friendly, fun, and professional. Fluid has a talented and dedicated management, support is always available! 100% self motivating work environment.

Cons

You have to be self motivated. No one will hold your hand and tell you that you’re doing great job. If you need constant affirmations from management, this company isn’t for you.

Advice to Management

More on-boarding training before new employees are thrown in the fire. The first couple of weeks can be very confusing on where to find the information you need.

4. "Work hard, play hard"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Fluid full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people. Data-driven design. Relaxed atmosphere with good work/life balance, and many engineers work from home. There's opportunity to grow here; I've seen several engineers receive promotions in the last 6 months, including myself.

My manager listens to my concerns and acts on them. When I said I didn't want to travel often, he made it happen.

Fluid's Bay Area, but it's not a startup; it's been in business 18 years, so I saw it as a less risky career move.

So far I am very happy here.

Cons

Small company means less resources and some inconsistent or undocumented processes (such as onboarding). Project work can get hectic, but when is that not true? We're software engineers.

Advice to Management

Some on the agency side feel that management is focused on product. Some on the product side seem to feel that management is focused on agency. Providing a clear message and strategy of how these facets can work together will go a long way to making more campers happy.

"Not sure i want to stay here any longer"

Current Employee - Business Development/Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development/Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Fluid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The great number of clients and brands that we have are incredible. The talent in the designers and the uxers are awe inspiring.

Cons

This is a complex question given that there a number of talented people at the design, and ux level. But there is zero accountability and will at the PM level and at the account level. It has been an up and down few years at Fluid for me in sales. Ideally i would be put in charge not just of the prime accounts at a national level, but also managing director of the at least the NY office.

Advice to Management

I have given it some thought and i believe that the best thing todo would be to put all the PMs and Account through some kind of training retreat. Show them that since they are not support us in Sales we are floundering in our pipeline. I no longer see an exciting position here at Fluid. I have been as of late looking and i am finding better opportunities and everyone should come with me.

"No interest in keeping people"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Fluid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, intelligent employees who work hard under unreasonable deadlines.

Cons

Poor Management with little or no respect for people. There is little to no work life balance.

Advice to Management

Remove the Managers from New York

7. "Inspired company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Always about the people and Fluid has some great ones...plus a really fun culture
    Doing some killer work for interesting brands
    Truly innovative and a great place to learn

Cons

Struggles with its two identities ... agency vs software
    Running lean which makes some periods stressful
    Too many meetings

Advice to Management

So far so good but need to start investing more in the people who do the work. This company needs 50 more people across roles including HR

"Very happy here"

Current Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fluid full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm always looking to shape/design the cutting edge of technology which is tricky because I need to be working with a company that maintains this cutting edge and experiments with new technology. Fluid does just this. It's a perfect match for my career goals/aspirations.

I really like everyone here, literally everyone. I think it also says a lot about a company when people don't leave. There are many people here who have been with the company since the beginning or for many years. Agencies I've worked for before this generally have a 1-2 year burn and churn.

I love that management is very generous with promotions.

Flexible hours are very important to me and that's here too.

Cons

Inconsistent mixed nuts. Sometimes too salty and not roasted. They also run out too fast.

Would be great to fly business class but I realize that's a little excessive.

"Director, Business Development"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fluid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great small company with offices in SF and NY. Opportunity to really grow your career. Its a place where you can roll up your sleeves and take more on than with a large enterprise company. This company has a great niche in the marketplace and works on some pretty incredible projects with great clients. It's also a great place to start your career, gain valuable experience and move on to other top bay area companies. Some of our employees are now at senior positions with companies like Apple, Facebook, Google and Levi's. If you like to take initiative, then this is place where you will thrive. Last year was tough. Agencies have up and down years and this year the company is doing incredibly well. Its a great time to join the fun!

Cons

Small company means less resources so you have to do more with less. Also, benefits aren't as good as places like other top bay area companies.

Advice to Management

Keep thinking about the long-term strategy to keep the company growing

"Great projects fun atmosphere"

Current Employee - Senior Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fluid full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While the work wasn't as exciting as I was promised I did have an ok stay.

Cons

Communication wasn't great, direction was almost nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Make sure you utilize your talent. be honest with prospective employees about their role.