Fluidigm Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Chris Linthwaite

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lot of turnover with layoffs and good people leaving, which leads to a lot of pressure on the remaining people to perform (in 3 reviews)

• Senior management is largely there to collect hefty paychecks and posture amongst each other (in 2 reviews)

"Constantly changing to the better"

Current Employee - Manufacturing QC in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing QC in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always evolving, always changing, so a lot of room to grow and learn new things.

Cons

Due to turnover, sometimes workload can increase dramatically without acknowledgement to the person doing all the work.

Advice to Management

Reward the little guys.

"Why do people leave Fluidigm?"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We hired people who need to check their big fat sales egos at the door. Learn to say thank you. This is not Thermo Fisher.

Cons

High turnover. Losing good employees who think that leaving is their only option. Increased gossips and rumors at work created a hostile working environment. Employees socialize and leave work early more than they actually work here. The team who created all the policies and fire everyone rarely work- we can see you comes in late and leave early from the lab. We aren't blind. We know which team rarely work. Don't think we're dumb and can't see when you sneak out of the office. We know when you rarely respond to your employees. People only leave because of their managers, however, in this case, people are leaving because of Fluidigm. I did not want to be retained. Overall, HORRIBLE work place. Expect this value employee to leave.

Advice to Management

better not join this company.

"A company that only benefits the executives"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time

Pros

There are barely good people that work there and barely good managers. I have a decent team and manager. The benefits are average for the most part. salary on time......Yes that's it.

Cons

I can write whole day about cons but first of all, most of the negative things you read in the reviews are in fact true. After a decade, they are still not catching up to some of the industry standards. Don’t be tricked by the colorful logos on their poorly designed company website. Poor management and HR trickled down to the leadership team. That is the core problem. Management unwilling to take ownership over their work... will take praise but let the criticism fall on their subordinates. Terrible communication between employees and HR department. Hiring that communication specialist to help was a joke. I witness our head chief always giggling and having meetings with HR in closed quarters to “discuss” important matters. Wait and see if this is another scandal to happen. C Levels are investing the company's money in wasteful ventures and politics are shoved down your throat and purposefully distracting employees at work. All lies in the town hall meetings. The most recent one was just laughable and unbearable to sit through. Senior management and especially HR are dishonest, don't give care about people, honesty and ethics

Advice to Management

Sell the company. Talks about layoffs and acquisitions are the next steps in relieving the burden of this company not profiting. stop gossiping behind each other's backs or speaking in quiet tones... It’s really unbecoming of someone at your level. And everybody knows what you're doing.

"How is this company still standing?"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time

Pros

Receive timely salary, that's the only positive situation you will have in this company.
    Decent employees with Decent US benefits
    Working remotely is a nice perk
    nice company swag

Cons

Sales team promises the client anything impossible, as they know, its easy to create fictitious numbers.
    1. All projects, process are miss managed. very poor management.
    2. Blood sucking company, long work hours, minimum pay with no commission plans.
    3. You need to pay from your pocket for official expenses with no corporate credit card available
    4. Most of internal and external portal, tools are buggy, not working.
    5. No growth
    6. No revenue
    7. Stocks declining
    8. Sales and remote employees are treated like nothing and ignored constantly
    lots of incompetent people have gone to the top by kissing the top executives and losing their souls.

poor work culture and highly Unethical behavior. No systems and policies.

HR cannot be trusted. If you tell your HR Business partners something confidential, thinking they're on your side, they are just really documenting every word you said and immediately tells your manager. HR is just mere spectator. They are happy to screw the employee career.

Advice to Management

Change the person who manages. Shut down the company if you don't know how to behave to your employees.

"What kind of Leader are you?"

I worked at Fluidigm full-time

Pros

career happiness is so key in life. spot on-- culture is a huge driver of a company's ability to attract and retain talent. this company did everything polar opposite. people are a lot less willing to stay in a job or with a company that doesn't represent their aspirations and behaviors more so than in the past.
    one positive thing is the company will not last more than a year.

Cons

Choose your words wisely. stop lying to your employees, hiding before doors with a proxy whispering and gossiping with HR like high schoolers on who to replace next. 90% of your executives are ritual white men.

What kind of Leader are you?
    insecure
    deceitful
    manipulative
    insensitive

There is a difference between being firm and being rude. You are just plain rude.
    Companies often forget that the crux of building a long term foundation of strong and loyal employees is BASIC RESPECT. LEARN.

Advice to Management

ask yourself if your employees are smiling at work? are they enjoying themselves while being productive or just bored?

"Used to be a great company to work for"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Fluidigm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Logo, Flexible work schedule

Cons

They will lie to get you to accept a job... you will get hired for one job and end up doing something different. There are no bonus or salary increases.. Earlier this year they had another round of laid offs in order to "save money" There are no company events, yoga, or happy hours because there no budget and top management frowns upon seeing employees doing yoga or any other activity when they could be working! The workload is overwhelming and management does not want to spend money in updating the systems . Employees get burn out from the tedious manual process, but some management doesn't like change, because this is the way things have been done. There is no professional growth here, and no specific path for promotions as it seems they are based on how much someone likes you or doesn't like you. Males are promoted 2x as fast while females are often told that they are not ready for the next step, while they do everything they can to promote the males. If there is a problem good luck going to HR.... half the time they are not around. Employees are made feel like like is their fault if something happens and HR doesn't want to deal with it and they just want you to quit so the problem can go away.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote people based on their experience and skill set, not because you like them or are friends or because they are related to some executive/board member.

"Doesn't matter"

I worked at Fluidigm (More than a year)

Pros

None the company SUCKS, horrible NEW CEO

Cons

Nothing, all back stabbing, trying to hurt everyone around them instead of focusing on the sinking ship. If you are thinking of coming to here think twice, DO NOT COME YOU WILL NOT HAVE A JOB IN A YEAR

Advice to Management

Get out of your office and make sure your people are ok. You don't care about anyone especially the CEO Chris is the worst CEO I have ever known. He has been with the company a year and did nothing. The past CEO would have turned this around. Chris why don't you send out a message on how you helped this company. You are a weird and should be let go like the past CEO was. I hope the Board is reading all these negative comments

"I want to inform you that this company is an internal mess"

I worked at Fluidigm (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    People can come and go as you please
    I loved my 10-4 work hours. No body notices what we all do.

Cons

Greetings Fluidigmers, I want to inform you with my experience working here. I never feel included in anyway possible from one team to the next. If you are not an alcoholic, you will never fit in here. I was promised many opportunities if I received a higher degree from one manager to another, however I never received anything. Now I hear fluidigm hiring the role that I fought for. I never had an manager who focused on my career growth and opportunities. When I resigned with the company, my team members did not care at all. There are too many high school groups here especially within the hr and marketing department. everyone stabs each other in the back to get ahead. In addition, when you work hard, you do not receive any recognition.

Advice to Management

Treat others with respect

"poor choices in hiring these department teams"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at Fluidigm full-time

Pros

used to be good hardworking people but HR and upper long term veterans management fired everyone who would have done anything for this company. they've drove everyone to quit and leave. used to be the promise of a good future striving for a better tomorrow

Cons

Finance: worst choice to have AP in Singapore where payments are never paid on a timely manner and lack of responsive. please work on your English writing skills as they confuse customers. Don't expect to email or call them as they do not have a phone number to yell at. too old fashion.
    Sales Administration Team- admins or gossips? elderly group of women who confuses their own sales managers and can never get an sales order in properly. when their sales managers come visit, all they want to do is take us out to drink or gossip to us about who got fired. they laid off the most experienced supervisor and kept someone who asks crazy amount of questions to confuse you even more. they are not up to date with systems.
    don't get me wrong, kind old ladies this bunch needs to retire or switch jobs as a gossip columnists. hey, at least, they'll get paid more right?

Advice to Management

invest in better people
    learn to interview better managers

"Company in a downward spiral"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Fluidigm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The technology for single-cell, qPCR, and mass cytometry is solid. They compensate well. Benefits are average. Their logo is cool?

Cons

Previous leadership team made some bad decisions, and the current leadership team has a poor/ mis-guided game plan to get the company back on track. Lot of turnover with layoffs and good people leaving, which leads to a lot of pressure on the remaining people to perform. And most of the remaining people are in roles for which they are not qualified. High stress. Chaotic at the end of a quarter. Boys club. Lack of vision.

Advice to Management

No advice to management. But, advice to candidates... Do some homework on the leadership team, read the transcripts from their earnings calls, ask the tough questions, like 'what is the future of the company,' take note of the volume of Glassdoor reviews over the past year, and research the markets they are trying to penetrate.