Fluidigm Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Chris Linthwaite

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work life balance, flexible hours and great people" (in 4 reviews)

• "Truly pioneers in the single cell space" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lot of turnover with layoffs and good people leaving, which leads to a lot of pressure on the remaining people to perform" (in 3 reviews)

• "Nothing, all back stabbing, trying to hurt everyone around them instead of focusing on the sinking ship" (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Positive opportunities with a Pro Employee Culture"

Current Employee - G& A Function Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - G& A Function Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company for almost 1/2 a year now and have seen mostly improvement in the quality of employee's joining the company (new thoughts, new enthusiasm etc) and the changes in Sr. Leadership. The company culture is one of hard work but acknowledgement of work life balance needs and a significant appreciation of employee's and their importance to the company. the Executive Leadership team is open and welcoming to input from the employee's and transparent with its long term objectives.

Cons

Could improve cooperation between functional groups at times.

Advice to Management

Would be effective I think to show more detailed information to employee's on quarterly progress towards goals.

Fluidigm Response

Aug 31, 2018 – Director Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you! We are pleased that you’re noticing a wave of positive change at Fluidigm. We’re working on building an employee-centric and sustainable culture that’s right for Fluidigm. We still have... More

2. "Fun and Dynamic Workplace"

Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time

Pros

Lots of great people around. Managers empower and challenge you to be at your best with an understanding of what is realistic vs what is not. It is a very team orientated place of business but allows for personal growth. Professional growth and career goals are important to managers who want to help you succeed. A very overall positive workspace that allows the employee freedom and a challenge without being over-bearing. There is a strong sense of optimism in the air about the direction of the company over the coming years with lots of positivity. Strong leadership and skill set to enable and promote that growth that Fluidigm is on pace to accomplish.

Cons

Nothing significant enough to make note of.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees, it is appreciated when you ask them "How are you doing" and inspires them to keep working hard.

3. "TAS"

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time

Pros

team friendly and innovative environment.

Cons

A lot of people leave.

Advice to Management

keep talent

4. "Confusion"

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time

Pros

Solid technology and overall reputation for microfluidics

Cons

Dysfunctional R&D leadership, poor communication

Advice to Management

With a poor external reputation of R&D leadership and high voluntary separation, there are questions about the current VP

5. "Heading in the right direction"

Current Employee - Senior Director in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can attest there is a new direction and focus that we didn’t have in the past. The company finally has senior leaders in Ops, R&D and QA that have the experience needed to move the company forward to bring regulated product to market. There has been significant change in staff, particularly within R&D that brings additional scientific and regulated expertise. Some may view the loss of long time staff as a negative, but I have observed it to be extremely positive because it is leading to very positive and necessary change. With the new leadership in place, I feel confident the company is in the right track and will gain traction in the regulated marketplace. Overall, the staff at Fluidigm genuinely care about the products they produce, service and support.

Cons

The organization needs to become more efficient. There are meetings abound, and the sheer number of meetings cause a decrease in productivity. Though the vision for the future has been communicated at a very high level, the details of how we get to where we want to be are unclear. Communication from the top needs to continue to improve, as it has in recent months with the addition of the new leadership.

Benefits are generally not competitive with other Bay Area biotech companies. The 401(k) match isn’t the best.

Advice to Management

Keep the channels of communication open. Be engaged and involved with staff outside of senior leadership, which will show you value the employee base. Hold more company events that bring staff from multiple groups together. In addition to focusing on the results of employee engagement surveys, HR should work on an improvement to the 401(k) benefit. Show employees you value them by helping them invest in their financial future.

"Company in flux"

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time

Pros

It used to be exciting and dynamic, and have a really solid culture. It was a very aggressive culture, but everyone was really passionate about their work. It's not like that anymore. New people are coming in that may reinvigorate things. Compensation and benefits are good! The proteomics side is exciting.

Cons

The genomics side is boring and confusing- endless reorganizations, no idea what management is thinking, projects that don't have a clear beginning or end. Layoffs and turnover has really decimated culture and morale, and the ambition of the company has drastically decreased.

Advice to Management

Clarity with employees

"Still an internal mess"

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time

Pros

Great IP, good people in rank and file

Cons

Senior management is almost exclusively old Life/Thermo people and they are trying to recapture the same culture, imposing a large corporate structure on effectively a small company. HR is a laugh, rarely there except one guy, they spend bundles of our precious cash on outside consultants to implement large corporate programs that just serve to stifle any joy left. If you don’t fit exactly fit some Radford category, good luck.... The say they are working on hiring, but despite large staff they outsource hiring, and drag their feet. DVS was never fully integrated, and working with other sites is akin to working with another company. They do not promote from within, do not acknowledge team member accomplishments. Senior staff regularly takes credit for work completed before they were even hired. The atmosphere is just poisonous. Gossip, backstabbing, soul crushing. The workloads are just crushing for a few people that tend to get most stuff done, while others coast and come in late and go home early. All the old Life/Thermo people insist on offices, eating up all our conference rooms.

Advice to Management

Life was bought by Thermo. Unless the rumors that we are looking to be bought as well are true, stop trying to recreate the Life corporate environment. Give up your offices so hard working people can actually have meetings.

"Lots of talk, little action"

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time

Pros

Great location
    Benefits are improving
    Pay is decent

Cons

Too many egos. The upper management has turned over a great deal since the new CEO stepped in and they all come in with different views. The number of employees at or above the Senior Director level is way too much for a company this size. It leads to too many "sayers" and not enough "doers". So, nothing really ever gets done. What's worse is that there are people in management positions that really don't know how things work. There are also departments that don't even have managers. This is leading to a disconnect with the hardworking employees. It lowers morale and creates frustration for the employees that care about their job.

Advice to Management

Take the time to engage with the "low level" employees. They'll feel more valued if their opinions are taken into account and help improve their day to day job. This would also improve the company as a whole. Morale would go up, problems would get fixed and you wouldn't see so many people level. Do this NOW, before even more long time employees leave. For a company that survives on people (not processes) you can't afford to lose some.

"Look Beyond Older Reviews"

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I saw older reviews and almost passed on working for Fluidigm because of them. I am glad I decided to see for myself what the company was like. New leadership is committed to the future success of the company. Workplace morale is a high priority. There are many dedicated and extremely talented employees at all levels of the company.

Cons

Day to day work can be tedious, some processes take a lot more effort than they need to.

Advice to Management

Keep asking for and seriously consider feedback you get from your employees and your customers.

10. "Bright prospects for the future"

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A new management team has been hired that is rapidly changing the culture at Fluidigm for the better. Managers are employee friendly and have excellent people skills.

Employees are engaged and are genuinely excited about the future prospects for the organization. I'm involved in commercializing interesting new products that are at the forefront of genomics analysis. As a new employee I see a bright career for me at Fluidigm.

Cons

No significant cons to communciate.

Advice to Management

Maintain the employee friendly environment.