Fluidigm Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris Linthwaite

"Great place to be a scientist; More challenging for engineers"

I worked at Fluidigm full-time

Pros

What stands out most about my experience at Fluidigm is how extraordinarily supportive the company was of its employees at a personal level. The company focused on employee development through a continuous training program driven by the HR team. In addition, during my time at the company, there were a number of people dealing with health or personal issues that impacted their ability to work. In all cases, the company went out its way to accommodate them, providing extra support at the office and even transportation to and from work. Clearly, the company cared about skills development and the well-being of employees and backed that up with concrete action. This, in my experience, is uncommon, and created a sense of community.

Cons

Professionally, I found Fluidigm to be good place for scientists to extend themselves, but not as much for engineers. In my experience, striking the balance between science and engineering is always a hard thing to manage. At the time I was there, science was completely in control. There are some extremely bright scientists there, and to be fair, this is a science driven company, rather than an engineering driven one. But, you still need engineering to translate the vision into a viable product that can be manufactured in a scalable way. The science-first environment was not as conducive to the engineering process as it could have been

The engineering teams at Fluidigm were quite talented and dedicated. I found them to be largely a fine group of people to work with, both in the US and in Singapore. However, the path for growth and advancement was not as clear for engineers as it was for scientists. Professionally, this can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

There have been major changes at the C-level of the company in the past few months. This change in leadership may present new opportunities as the company seeks new directions for growth. I would encourage candidates to seek to understand how the changes could create opportunities and a career path at the company in ways that may not have been previously available .

2. "Assoc Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Interesting products and exciting field

Cons

Turnover and poor financial results

Advice to Management

Run company better

"Internally a Mess, but a flexible work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fluidigm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees have flexibility to work in other groups and find internal opportunities that are a better fit for there goals.

Cons

Management is very broken. Top leadership is in the midst of major change and corporate direction is unclear. Stock prices have dragged at historic lows.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the managers that don't know how to lead, lean out, and focus on producing profit by developing products that customers will buy.

"My short tenure with FD"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fluidigm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people and technical staff

Cons

Benefits are not at par with the industry. Very US centric Company

Advice to Management

Get real and make sure your managers from the US have a good understanding of the local markets outside of the US. Singapore is a god ground to setup a Sales Entity, stop politics from making this happen, you can get good leverage and concessionary rates from the government being one of the pioneer Manufacturers in SG more so in the Bio/Life Science Industry.

6. "nice people, nice atmosphere"

Former Employee - Analyst in Atherton, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Atherton, CA

I worked at Fluidigm (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees from the executive level down are genuinely good people. The products are cutting edge and the office location is ideal.

Cons

Not many good lunch options closeby.

"The Walking Dead."

Former Employee - Scientist in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fluidigm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm trying to think of some, but nothing comes to mind.....

Cons

Lots of walkers walking around opening and closing doors, mumbling incoherent things, and basically going nowhere and doing nothing. Don't be alarmed, they are Fluidigm Executive and Mid Level Management.
    No one takes ownership or responsibility.
    The SOP is to point the finger at the 'other guy'.
    Manual processes abound throughout and are perceived as 'Job Security'.

Move on and don't waste your time with this mess.

Advice to Management

Hire some real talent. Don't hirer 'Walkers'.
    Many of those in VP and Director level roles shouldn't be in charge of Girl Scout Cookie sell.

"Research Associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can definitely get great experience from the projects/ collaborations.

Cons

Management is a mess, and they focus and dwell on any and every mistake but never give you credit for everything done right. They have ridiculous expectations.

"Working at Fluidigm helped further my career"

Former Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fluidigm (Less than a year)

Pros

-Opportunity to work with talented scientists
    -I felt privileged to work with cutting edge technology
    -I learned lab techniques that are in demand in my field
    -Most people are friendly and helpful

Cons

-Poor planning at times; things were often unnecessarily rushed
    -The R&D labs are in need of a manager- there is a lot of inefficient and probably unnecessary spending there

Advice to Management

Encourage and promote an environment of mutual respect between all employees.

"Good company, bad managment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Fluidigm full-time

Pros

Growing company with promising technology. Decent benefits.

Cons

Difficult to move up. Promotions are not based on merit, but favoritism. Some people have it easy, some are overworked.

Advice to Management

Promote good employees. If you continue to give only promotions after promotions to certain employees you will cause irreparable damage to this company. Stop driving away people who are driving Fluidigm's success.

"Company seems promising during interview but it's downhill after day 1"

Former Employee - N/A in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - N/A in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fluidigm (More than a year)

Pros

Good location, easy commute from SF or peninsula.

Cons

Fluidigm needs to move from a start-up to the next level but there's been no investment in the necessary infrastructure to get them there.
    Management has a silo mentality which has resulted in a lack of buy-in to the cross-functional solutions that will facilitate efficiency across departments.
    Because the processes are manual and inefficient, employees are struggling to perform core duties with little breathing room for learning, improvements, and growth.
    This results in a high level of frustration, resentment, and cynicism in the rank and file which is evident in the extremely high rate of employee turnover.
    The CEO needs to take responsibility for the high turnover because he's losing good people.

Advice to Management

The CEO is surrounded by his executive team, isolated from the company as a whole. He needs to do a reality check to see what's really going on.