Fluke Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Fluke Corporation President Wes Pringle
Wes Pringle

Pros
Cons
  • The values that made the company what it is can lost when the focus is on lean manufacturing (in 5 reviews)

• If you are serious about career, no cons (in 3 reviews)

1. "Ok place to work"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Fluke Corporation full-time

Pros

Many opportunities and freedoms to achieve goals. People are interested in making great products. Pay and benefits are competitive. Hours tend to be flexible. Products are great.

Cons

Work experience is directly tied to your manager and varies greatly among divisions. Management likes driving week long / extended hour Kaizens. Policies and best practices are driven bottom up - minimal consistency across company.

2. "Some work"

Former Employee - N A in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - N A in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Fluke Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, easy to work with, love the job easy.

Cons

Management could use some work on getting to know there employees and understanding numbers are not everything.

Advice to Management

Team work makes the dream work

3. "Not a bad company overall"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Fluke Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A good place to work, good benefits

Cons

not too many vacation days

5. "Business Unit Manager"

Former Employee - Business Unit Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Unit Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fluke Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people but not good (merit based) culture

Cons

Senior leadership wants to hear only what please them or their superiors

6. "The Best Company Ever"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Everett, WA

I have been working at Fluke Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Managers are great, blameless environment, benifit, education, less than 3% turn over

Cons

I can't think of even one thing

Advice to Management

You all are awesome

"not too bad"

Current Employee - Senior Calibration Technician in Mill Creek, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Calibration Technician in Mill Creek, WA

I have been working at Fluke Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company offers great benefits and extra perks compared to others. They have changed and are offering more vacation from the start and it grows quickly. Health insurance benefits aren't too bad either. The have changed recently where there are some improvements in areas, but worse in others. If you are a healthy person, or enjoy benefits of a healthy lifestyle (not like me), then they also offer many more benefits.

Cons

There does appear to be a problem of trying to move up within the company. I have seen first hand and experienced it myself where moving up is difficult. They put a preference on education over experience, which has had more of a disruptive impact when good people leave.

Advice to Management

My advice is to please not overlook good employees, and to always encourage them to keep an open mind for advancement. Also, if you have an employee who has discussed the desire to move up in the company, please help them and not try to hold them back.

"Continuous Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

I have been working at Fluke Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fluke embarked on an employee engagement initiative last year to improve the quality of work life and it's working.
    Many learning opportunities and management supports your personal career development.
    Goals are clearly communicated from the top down.
    Excellent lean manufacturing environment with strong business systems and tools.

Cons

Fluke is a complex business from all their acquisitions and each business unit has their own team which makes it difficult to know who is who.
    People are spread very thin, especially in engineering.
    Multiple stretch goals are sometimes given on top of regular goals which make it difficult to succeed.

Advice to Management

Try to minimize competing metrics among the functional groups.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Software Account Executive in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Software Account Executive in Everett, WA

I have been working at Fluke Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Solid company. A lot of people have worked for Fluke for a long time many over 25 years.

Cons

Fluke is entering the software business and really doesn't know what their doing.

"Worst company I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Buyer/Planner in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Buyer/Planner in Everett, WA

I worked at Fluke Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and time off are solid. Decent work-life balance.

Cons

Look, I've worked at a good number of companies. I know what's out there.

Fluke is run by politicians who have no interest in doing what it takes to get the job done. Fluke is old world. They have tons of trouble even just making legacy products like they do. Current supply chain needs to be destroyed and rebuilt.

Dysfunctional because of personal political agendas. Even if you are willing and able to change the company and improve it, don't expect anyone to be on your side... expect them to actively work against and discourage you. Management discourages innovation despite the fact that Fluke desperately needs updating - Fluke cannot keep relying on products that were designed 30+ years ago. Eventually the free money train will run out because competition is making modern products.

Many of the employees are former interns and have no idea what they are doing. Little to no experience throughout the entire company except for small groups of employees of near retirement age who refuse to pass down their knowledge to the incapable younger hires. I do not blame them.

Extremely high turnover. I put in my two weeks and they offered to promote me in order to keep me. I laughed and still quit.

They claim that quality is important but have no QA department, amazingly. Buyers are expected to do QA and are absolutely not qualified. They still use the Kanban system. They have an ERP system but do not use it. Dozens of outside-the-system-workarounds are typical, each made by different people.

Employees fear management too much. "Cover your butt" emails are extremely common. Again, politics. Employees who have been there for any significant duration are afraid to change anything due to backlash.

Inefficient - Manufacturing issues talked about over and over without action or progress.

Management only responds to crisis situations - no planning ahead at all. Everything is hot, late, expedited, etc.

Few work instructions - tribal knowledge is by far king.

Avoid this company unless you want to be stuck in the 1970s forever. It represents the worst of corporate America.

You will not be able to build a career here. You will be value-less to any other company outside of Fluke.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be replaced entirely. Double the pay of the few older people who actually know how to get things done there and force them to train the next generation of workers. Your new hires should not be your army of interns who have never learned how to do their jobs. Half the younger workers would be incapable despite training and need to be fired. Promote people who can actually do the work. Do not promote politicians. Update your products or face obsolescence. Get rid of the Kanban consultants - they are practically robbing you. Kaizan events should never last one week, especially for small issues. You leave production high and dry.

11. "Self review"

Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Fluke Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company to work with but some employees are not comfortable to work with.

Cons

Management people keep on replacing or quitting

Advice to Management

Please keep an open minded with your employees, they are hardworking but listens to wrong suggestions.