Fluor Project Controls Specialist II Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
Fluor CEO David T. Seaton
David T. Seaton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • high regard in work life balance, benefit is reasonable (in 47 reviews)

• good work environment and friendly (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be a tough work life balance travelling from mega project to mega project (in 13 reviews)

• Very little communication and direction from upper management (in 19 reviews)

1. "Can't say enough good things about this company"

Current Employee - Associate Project Controls Specialist II in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Associate Project Controls Specialist II in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Fluor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High compensation
    Fair hours (depending on your project and position)
    Great growth potential
    Strong company ethics
    Great for employee development

Cons

Hours can be long (as stated above)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing by making Fluor a fantastic place to work and keeping your employees happy. Also, we would all like to see more self-perform work here in the US for construction, rather than the CM model.

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Associate Project Controls Specialist II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Project Controls Specialist II in Houston, TX

Pros

The vast amount of opportunites to travel abroad. I enjoy working at Fluor because the people are very nice and friendly and easy to work with. They are also very helpful. When you have a problem it is easy to talk to a co worker and get help. The office is very nice and the work schedule is very convienient. Fluor is very understanding with you work schedule and allows you to take time off when needed. The time off with pay is very plentiful. it is easy to save the TOWP hours and have lots of vacation time. last vacation i took was a 2 weeks vacation in Hawaii.

Cons

It is a very cyclical company dependant on the oil industry. When the oil market is good then flour has plenty of projects to attend to but when the market is bad then it is very slow. When it is slow then fluor will lay off lots of workers. This is very frusterating to get laid off because there is not work and then getting hired back on when the work is there. Also the cubicles are very small and do not allow you to stretch completely. Unfortunantly the food is not very good either it is the same every day.

Advice to Management

Good JOb!

"Good company to work for if you are willing to travel."

Current Employee - Associate Project Controls Specialist II in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Project Controls Specialist II in Aliso Viejo, CA

Pros

Vacation, or time off is progressive. Every employee begins with around 4 hours earned per 40 hour work week, that adds up to around 5 weeks a year of time off. After five years the time earned off will calculate to a little over 6 weeks a year. This time is also not lost each time the year rolls over. You keep what you dont use, no matter the amount. I cant compare the health benefits to other companies, but health, dental, and vision is offered through United Health Care. While I have heard that there are better options, I do not know any better. Fluor picks up 80%, the rest is paid by the employee. Fluor offers a pension and 401K. Two percent of your base salary is put into the pension each year by Fluor. 401K is matched up to 4%. Because Fluor is such a large company, there always seems to be work, and the option to travel. If you like travelling and seeing the world, it is a good company to do so with. While travelling, Fluor pays per diem for living away from home, this can greatly add to yearly salaries. Also, a travel allowance is given, whether you travel home or not, each month away from home. Also, 8 hours of travel time is given to use to travel home.

Cons

The downside happens to be related to the upside, if you dont like to travel and move, then it wont be the best place to work. Also, after 5 plus years with the company, I have found that getting a manager to sit down with you and talk to you about a career path is very difficult, and even if they take the time to do so, its difficult to determine if it is being done to appease you, or if they are really serious. Fluor, just like any company, is interested in making money and the bottom line, if they can keep you doing more for less pay, they are going to do so. I was told from a manager that if I wanted to climb higher on the pay scale, my best option would be to leave on good terms and work else where for a period of time and then either wait to be called by someone in Fluor or apply for a new position, then you can renegotiate as you wished. I actually did this and not only was moved up a pay grade, but was given a more desirable position and salary.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should take the time to realize that the engineering, procurement, and construction field is currently booming, and doesnt appear to be getting smaller at the moment. Even if fossil fuel energy plants are phased out, the new environmental plants will need to be built and someone is always going to be willing to build them. Current companies in the field are dying to pick up experienced project members, especially from Fluor. Fluor Senior Management should take this time to talk to those that they think are valuable or appear to have a valuable future and talk to them about their career plans and where they are headed. If the two seem to agree, then put the employee on a track that would make them feel valuable and feel that they have a future with Fluor. If I was given this option, I know that I would work even harder then I am now. Some "attaboys" now and then go a long way.

4. "It is a good company"

Former Intern - Project Controls Specialist II in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Intern - Project Controls Specialist II in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Fluor as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I am an intern for Fluor as control engineer. It provides the opportunity for me to learn a lot engineering knowledge which cannot be learned in university.

Cons

The company is a little conservative.

Advice to Management

The management can be improved

5. "Fluor is a FORTUNE 500 EPC company and a great company to grow with."

Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist II in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist II in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Company has well established systems and procedures

Cons

Being a very big company, you generally get lost