Fluor Reviews | Glassdoor

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton
David T. Seaton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Can be a tough work life balance travelling from mega project to mega project (in 15 reviews)

• No cons as such great company to work with (in 24 reviews)

1. "Company was a disappointment at VOG, ramped up only to lay off and leave."

Former Employee - Materials Management Specialist in Waynesboro, GA
    Former Employee - Materials Management Specialist in Waynesboro, GA

I worked at Fluor full-time

Pros

Vacation and sick time wrapped in 1. Build time fast.

Cons

The co. is weak. Had absolutely no say so with the client only wanted you as a billable.

Advice to Management

MANAGE AND LISTEN!

"Boilermaker Welder"

Former Employee - Boilermaker Welder in Crystal River, FL
    Former Employee - Boilermaker Welder in Crystal River, FL

I worked at Fluor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay and Overtime. Opportunity to transfer to other job sites.

Cons

Favoritism, bad management, employer doesn't care about your quality of productivity.

Advice to Management

Hire people prepared to do the job. Stop hiring people with zero experience. Also give training to the Foreman's and General Foreman's on how to treat and lead their employees.

3. "Management Needs an Overhaul"

I worked at Fluor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer a flexible schedule and have nice little office perks -- comped meals, bottled water in the kitchen, etc.

Cons

The corporate culture feels a lot like a high school; there is too much toxic, abusive behavior coming from middle management, to which upper management simply turns a blind eye. Mid-level managers are verbally abusive to employees and often text and email them outside of work hours to offer criticism. They micromanage, set people up to fail, and laugh about how they got people fired. Their behavior is far from professional and is damaging to the culture of what could be a great company.

Advice to Management

Treat good employees well. Say thank you. Reward good performance. Don't keep everyone in constant fear of losing their jobs. Be respectful and welcome new employees. When your employees do well, you do well, so don't make it impossible for them to thrive. And, some practical advice here, don't tell your employees to keep pushing their overtime hours to the next week. Compensate employees fairly for the work they do; aside from the fact that it's the law, it's just good business.

4. "Decent Place to Work"

I have been working at Fluor full-time

Pros

Good pay and nice benefits.

Cons

Horrible Management. Both upper and lower management need better people skills.

5. "Afghan"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Fluor as a contractor

Pros

Great Pay. Good chance to travel on vacations

Cons

Very Poor Management, no acknowledgement to other employees for doing a great job.

Advice to Management

Stop giving promotions to your friends and start recognizing other employees as well.

6. "avoid"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Jenkinsville, SC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Jenkinsville, SC

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

time 1/2 overtime after 40 hours when they let you work

Cons

bad benefits, bad management, terrible communication

Advice to Management

stop letting your good people go when they speak the truth

7. "Senior Weld Engineer III"

Former Employee - Senior Weld Engineer III in Jenkinsville, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Weld Engineer III in Jenkinsville, SC

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Respectful Management. Safety is a prime concern.

Cons

No out of cycle raise in five years. No recognition for extra work time. Laid off with no notice and no compensation. No calls from recruiters or numbers for recruiters. We have been left on our own.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. They are your greatest asset. They make or break your company.

"Good ole boy's club."

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits with respectable 401K match. Project assignments are very lucrative (i.e. assignment provisions, uplifts, overtime, etc) but touch on family.

Cons

Changing of the guard - the new HR leadership has little if any project experience. They are completely out of touch when it comes to how things work in the field - Resulting in bad advice and direction. They continue to promote inexperienced people to leadership roles solely based on likability versus knowledge and know-how. Nepotism runs high within FLR - which is a disadvantage to the average worker or someone applying for advancement.

Advice to Management

1. Treat every project as if it is lump sum. Too many missed opportunities to improve inefficiencies and missed lessons learned (for future projects)- could be a lot more efficient. Recommend implementing six sigma processes.

2. There is no incentive to correct inefficiencies on cost plus or cost reimbursable project as FLR get paid to correct their own errors and mistakes. I have experienced "clerical errors" which negative impacted either a Client or an employee and had to be run through several department with several touch points to be resolved - billing the Client man-hours along the way.

3. Fluor needs to be good stewards of the Client's money - Just because the "Client signed-off on it" doesn't mean it should have been presented. The Client is signing-off in good-faith as we are supposed to be the subject matter experts.

4. FLR should abide by its own policy and/or Procedure Manuals - I had been assigned to several projects where we knowingly didn't follow policy or notify the Client which resulted in over billing (i.e. of assignment provisions, double dipping, manhours, etc). After raising these concerns to the Project Management and/or Corporate Leadership nothing was done.

"Process Engineering Department"

Former Employee - Process Engineer III in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineer III in Houston, TX

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a chemical engineer, I feel like I utilized my degree much more than any other process engineering job I will ever have. Advice to recent college graduates: This is a great place to gain a great understanding of process design but it is important to develop other in demand skills outside of this industry. I recommend a part time law program or coding boot camp so that you will always have a hedge against this cyclical industry.

Cons

The skill set developed in the process engineering role holds no value to any other industry. As much as I enjoyed the work I did, petrochemical manufacturers would not consider me for an experienced or even entry level position despite having 4 years of process engineering design experience. Be careful not to stay here too long, I had recruiters literally tell me that my experience here is worthless to chemical manufacturing/operations roles. Department managers are dishonest about layoffs and the company did not offer any kind of severance support. I begged for a field assignment opportunity to gain exposure to different job roles, but those opportunities were very rare and reserved for highly experienced individuals (10-15+ years).

Advice to Management

None

"Senior Manager, Talent Development"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at Fluor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fluor pays ok but not at a level out or the norm. Company is standard, nothing special. Most executives do little for the salaries they receive.

Cons

Many upper level managers, directors, and executives are intellectually challenged - many just plain stupid. Buddy buddy system alive and well. Hiring is usually unfair and 'friends' are usually hired and then way over-paid. Sexual favors can get you promoted and is a common practice at Fluor. Ethics within Fluor is questionable. After many years employed with these morons, I have seen everything that I wish I never had seen.

Advice to Management

Learn fairness, ethics, and honesty. Hire the best people and learn how to lead. Any of you could become a productive asset but most of you now are nothing but a drain on the company.

Showing 88 of 1,356 reviews